Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-Referencing

I don't think this can be done, but one of the attorneys asked me to try to figure out a way so I come to you guys - the experts.

Bear with me as this may get a little confusing. The attorney has one document (doc1) with numbered styles applied to 15 paragraphs. He has a second document (doc2) also with 15 numbered paragraphs - each paragraph of which contains a cross-reference (most of the cross references are to a "dummy" paragraph #1 he created). He wants to now delete the dummy 1st paragraph, cut the contents of doc2 and paste it AFTER the first paragraph of doc1. He then wants all cross-references to update accordingly.

He wants to repeat this process for each numbered paragraph in doc1, and have the cross references refer now to say, paragraph 28, et seq.

He is trying to get out of manually inserting cross-references and just paste them in from another source and have them point to the correct paragraph number. As I said, I don't see how this can possibly be done, but I look forward to either instruction on how it can be done, or confirmation that it can't.

As always, thank you for your assistance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cross-Referencing

Joanna, there should be no problem pasting a document with cross links into another document with cross links other than where the cross links are to a bookmark name already used in the base document. If you are leaving a paragraph (that is cross-referred to) behind then that will be a problem. If you need to point the existing links to the new heading then you will need to reveal codes and global replace to the new links hidden bookmark name.

If this is a little cryptic, have a look at the field codes and then post a follow-up question.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

Hi,

Lucky I re-read your question.

Probably the best way to do this would be with manually inserted bookmarks. Give each paragraph a separate bookmark i.e. paraA, paraB, etc.

Give the samed name bookmarks to the dummy paragraphs in the other document. Then when you copy and paste, the cross-references should work.

After my first reading, I was going to say:
    What you want to do can be done _if_ your numbering in the two documents is properly set up.

See:
    Word's Numbering Explained
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/Wo...ngExplained.htm

How to Create a Template, 2
    http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customizatio...mplatePart2.htm

Legal Numbering
    http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/numbering.htm

However, the cross-references are to hidden bookmarks that Word creates. Those bookmarks are not going to be the same in two different documents. (I don't know what would happen if the two documents were based on the same template and the template already had the referenced paragraphs in it. Then it might work without manually inserting bookmarks.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joanna:

It can be done, depending on some factors. The cross-references actually don't update, they just point to bookmarks.

The following rules apply:
    1. You can not have two bookmarks with the same name in the same document.
    2. You can copy a bookmark (or paragraph containing a bookmark) to a new document, unless that bookmark name is already used in the target document.
    3. If you copy text containing a bookmark to a new document, & there already exists a bookmark of the same name, only the text is copied, not the bookmark.
    4. You can copy a cross-reference to a new document. If you copy it along with bookmarks from the source document, they will work the same in the new document (but because of rule 3, that's only true if the target document doesn't contain bookmarks with the same name.
    5. If a cross-reference points to bookmark1 & you copy it to a new document that already contains bookmark1, it will now point to that bookmark.

Hope this helps.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

here's doc2
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry - here's the correct doc1
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

This could be done, but only (I think) through complex VBA coding. Way above my level of expertise! If your lawyer really wants it, tell him to get out his checkbook! I would recommend Bill Coan to do this, having seen some of his other work.

http://www.wordsite.com/
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charles. I know VBA but -- you know - to be honest, I'd rather just manually add the cross-references. This is a one-time deal (or at least a rare occasion) and I could manually cross-reference it faster than I could write a VBA program to do it!

Appreciate your help

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The way these REF fields are set up, "No". These are hidden bookmarks that Word inserts. They do not exist in your document 1.

If you paste the paragraphs from document one & the paragrahs from document 2, into a new document, the cross-references will still work. However, just because cross-reference #5 in doc2 points to paragraph 5 in doc1 doesn't mean it'll have the same numbers in a new document.

In other words, there is no relationship between paragraph 1 in the old doc & the new doc. Sorry.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you paste all of document 2 into document 1 then all links continue working as advertised.

If you paste all of document 2 EXCEPT paragraph 1 into document 1 then all links continue to to work except those to paragraph 1 (which was left behind). To update those that have now broken and point them at the paragraph that has replaced it:
    1. Insert a cross reference anywhere to the paragraph that the links should point at.
    2. Reveal its code (Shift-F9) and copy the name of the hidden bookmark
    3. Select the entire document and reveal all codes (Ctrl-A and Shift-F9)
    4. Call a Search and Replace dialog (Ctrl-H)
    5. In the replace box paste in your hidden bookmark name
    6. In the find box paste in the hidden bookmark name of the broken links (in your example _Ref505161932)
    7. Press Replace All
    8. Now update the links (F9)
    9. Delete the added crosslink from step 1

Now all the broken links will be pointing happily at the new paragraph that you told them to.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions. To clarify, the autonumbering is set up correctly (I am extremely familiar with styles/numbering). Perhaps I'm missing something but I still don't think this will be possible. My problem is that I need to copy the same 15 paragraphs containing cross-references into doc1 15 different times. Each time I paste them, they will cross-reference a new and different paragraph number in doc1. Am I making myself clear? I am attaching gibberish versions of the two documents. Doc2 must be copied into Doc1 under each paragraph number. Again, thanks for your assistance (and patience)