New Lounger
    Thanks

Access 97 to Word (97 )

Hi

I'm fairly confident now in doing a querydef / recordset to create a query which becomes the underlying source of a Word 97 mail merge.

What I'd like to know now is if Word handles subform type information.

What I have is a merge with repeating fields for a single letter. I guess it's like a catalogue, where a single recipient may have many items.

Does anyone know how/if can be done or where I can find out?

Thanks
    Dean

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 97 to Word (97 )

I have not had any luck having Word handle this type of situation directly. The only way I've gotten it to work is to suppress the duplicate field in subsequent records in my input file. In Word document, this field occupies a line by itself, so when Word sees the blank field, it suppresses the whole line. Suppressing the field took a considerable amount of manual coding.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

In point of fact, Princess in several other threads has been trying to do the same thing and finally hit a wall that stopped her. What she attempted to do was to put a table in the word document and fill it with the "subform" data, but it got really ugly.

This sort of thing would be better handled using bookmarks and OLE Automation. Getz and company devote a number of pages in the Access Developer's Handbook to this very topic - I think it might do what you are talking about. The problem is that there is a lot of stuff under the MailMerge covers that you don't want but can't get rid of.

Another possibility that occurs to me is to create an Excel Workbook using OLE Automation or just exporting it directly from Access, and then creating a document in Word (again using Automation) that embeds the Excel Workbook in the Word document. Seems kind of kludgy, but I think it might just work.

Something else you might look at is Crystal Reports - it has some different features from Access. I've not used it but it might be able to do this kind of thing directly as a report. Good Luck!
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that

What I tried to do actually was embed a second Word document inside my 'parent' doc. Unfortunatley the second doc's mail merge can only show 1 line at a time and if you use the 'insert database' instead it doesn't seem to properly update when the query is updated.

I think I'll try the Excel worksheet.

Thanks again
    Dean

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think you'll have better luck with that approach or with the BookMark approach that Getz, Litwin et. al. suggest in their book. This is all predicated on the assumption that you only want to create one document, and that you are essentially using Word as an enhanced Report Writer. Otherwise, about the only other choices are to use some of the Rich Text controls available, or to export Access Reports to RTF and do the final formatting in Word with VBA. Hope all this helps.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that

I can see where embedding Excel may cause some problems in terms of formatting, scale etc..

Could you tell me where that Getz book is? I haven't actually heard of it yet as I'm a bit of a newbie.

Regards
    Dean

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The book is called "The Access 97 Developer's Handbook" published by Sybex, and the authors are Ken Getz and Paul Litwin. I'm not sure it's still generally available, although I know the Access 2000 version is. That version is two volumes - what you want is in Volume 1, and the 2000 version will largely apply to Access 97 in the area you are working. Check with the large booksellers in Perth, or try the local library. You might also try Amazon if you can't find it locally - they do still show the 97 version as being available - though I don't know how prompt they would be in your part of the world. Good luck with your project.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that. I did find the book at www.books24x7.com. I'll take your advice and try to look locally, however, since it takes a long time to ship from the US.

Thanks, again
    Dean Britton