5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Working with email in browsers and apps

BEST PRACTICES

Working with email in browsers and apps

By Ken Blake

No matter what device we're using, we read and create email within a browser or a separate email client. These days, most people handle their personal mail using a browser, but there are good reasons to use an email client.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/best-practices/working-with-email-in-browsers-and-apps/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also note that Thunderbird has Plugin capabilities to customize and extend it. Key is Lightning, a calendar client that can be local or synced with Google Calendar, etc. I also use several other plugins.

For myself, I like GMails capabilities, but am not interested in managing email in a completely different way than I manage all my other files. I like folders. Thunderbird gives me that and more.

Outlook I've always found too pushy - it wants you to manage your life the Microsoft way. We also spent way more time on tech support for Outlook than for staff that used Eudora (back in the day).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been a user of MS Outlook client for many years, and I like its calendar, contacts, and its mail handling rules, especially the ease of setting up separate folders for specific types of email, e.g., from a listserv that I want to dip into rather than having to wade through every email.

However, there is one situation that I really don't like: when I'm travelling, and often staying with friends or a home exchange and using their ISP, there is never a problem with internet access and receiving email through the client. The problem is with outgoing mail, which requires making arrangements with the new ISP, and using my host's ISP-based email address as a conduit to send email. Not everyone has an email with their ISP, so that sometimes has to be set up before I can send email.

I'm using Outlook 2007, and I guess, but I'm not sure, that the problem persists in more recent versions of MS Outlook. I would happily update Outlook or switch to a different product if I could migrate my calendar, contacts, and avoid this annoying outgoing mail problem. Is there anything you can recommend?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave Ken Blake's "Working with email in browsers and apps" a "Fair rating because although he mentions Mozilla Thunderbird, he ignores Mozilla-SeaMonkey, which provides a browser and also email. I have been using a similar package beginning with Netscape (then Mozilla Suite, and then Mozilla-SeaMonkey), and I find it so convenient that I cannot imagine any reason to use Google's Gmail or Yahoo mail or any of the other online applications that Mr. Blake mentions.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barry101 View Post
    I have been a user of MS Outlook client for many years, and I like its calendar, contacts, and its mail handling rules, especially the ease of setting up separate folders for specific types of email, e.g., from a listserv that I want to dip into rather than having to wade through every email.

However, there is one situation that I really don't like: when I'm travelling, and often staying with friends or a home exchange and using their ISP, there is never a problem with internet access and receiving email through the client. The problem is with outgoing mail, which requires making arrangements with the new ISP, and using my host's ISP-based email address as a conduit to send email. Not everyone has an email with their ISP, so that sometimes has to be set up before I can send email.

I'm using Outlook 2007, and I guess, but I'm not sure, that the problem persists in more recent versions of MS Outlook. I would happily update Outlook or switch to a different product if I could migrate my calendar, contacts, and avoid this annoying outgoing mail problem. Is there anything you can recommend?
    The problem is not an Outlook issue. It is an ISP policy. ISPs often do this because they do not want anyone logging on to their email system and sending mail if that person is doing it from outside their network. That is a common thing for spammers to try. The ISP has no real way to easily validate that you are who you say you are.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The problem is not an Outlook issue. It is an ISP policy. ISPs often do this because they do not want anyone logging on to their email system and sending mail if that person is doing it from outside their network. That is a common thing for spammers to try. The ISP has no real way to easily validate that you are who you say you are.

Joe
    Exactly. Roadrunner is good example of this. We use Gmail while traveling to avoid this issue.