New Lounger
    Thanks

Storage Spaces vs disaster

Scenario: After recovering from a disaster, either by having to reinstall Win 8.1 or having to start from scratch with a new HDD, what happens to the information that is on all of your Storage Spaces physical drives, especially the File History? Do they get wiped when you try to establish a new pool or does the new system recognize that the drives were previously part of a storage space and allow you to use them as-is with your files intact? If the info will get wiped, wouldn't it be better to build your File History on a separate USB drive that would not be involved with the resurrection?

Thanks,
    Ed

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I fear there is not that much experience with Storage Spaces, at least not around here. I suggest that you visit Microsoft's support forums and ask the question there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    All I know is that it has some fairly significant drawbacks like it does not rebalance data when more storage is added and one cannot add a drive with data already on it because that drive will be formatted before being added.

There is pretty good information that recovery of storage spaces from one system to another (the equivalent of a reinstalled system) works well on servers but almost nothing about the consumer version.

You might like to take a look at Drive Bender for what seems a more capable storage pool software. Not free but it is inexpensive and addresses the rather glaring shortcomings of Storage Spaces.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Virtualizing storage for scale, resiliency, and efficiency for a thorough article on storage spaces. From the article:

"Q) Can I move a storage pool from one PC to another, once created? For example, if I have a cage with 6 removable drives?

Yes. Just connect the physical disks comprising the pool to the new PC.

Q) Say I have 3 external enclosures and I remove them one at a time. I then plug them into another Windows 8 PC in reverse order. Will the new PC think I have a broken pool or will it eventually catch up? What if I never plug in one of the enclosures?

You can plug enclosures back in in any order. When Storage Spaces detects a sufficient number of disks for quorum, it activates the pool and contained spaces. You can plug in more enclosures later. If the data on any disks becomes out of sync, Storage Spaces will automatically sync them. Even if you never plug in some enclosures, as long as Storage Spaces detects the minimum number of disks needed, you can continue working with your data. Both via PowerShell and via Control Panel, Storage Spaces informs you that a few physical disks are missing, thereby encouraging you to plug them back in."

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the info will get wiped, wouldn't it be better to build your File History on a separate USB drive that would not be involved with the resurrection?
    See Understanding Windows 8's File History by Fred Langa in the 7/11/2013 Windows Secrets

Required: A separate, secondary hard drive

As mentioned earlier, File History requires use of an external or secondary drive to store its backups.
    You don't have to be a subscriber to read the story, it's part of the free content.

Free content posted on Jul. 11, 2013:
    Top Story

By Fred Langa
    Understanding Windows 8's File History

The trouble with traditional backups
    Windows 8's goal: No-effort system backups
    Required: A separate, secondary hard drive
    A few clicks sets up File History's default mode
    Customizing your File History configuration
    Recovering files and folders with File History
    Using File History to restore files and folders
    The bottom line — and the future