2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Filter software? (IE 5.5)

Help!

When typing in a web site address my daughter suggested, an adult site popped up. Apparently, the school she goes to has a shortcut to a site with a similar name (which she thought was the address).

Any suggestions on which ones work best? Are they preloaded with a list of "offensive" sites, or do they need to be updated on a regular basis?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Filter software? (IE 5.5)

There are several on the market -- I have used none. However, before you pull out the check book, look at the "Content Advisor" that comes with IE. While it may not be perfect, it might be all you need.

Go to Tools | Internet Options... | Content tab | Content Advisor | Enable -- and look around. It can be very useful.

Thanks

I'm afraid I have no experience either.
    Searching on http://www.umich.edu/~sic/church/filter.html
    which has various links to available products and reviews - at least it should give you an idea on just what is available.

Another thought is to use the services of a search engine such as Yahoo who have thought about the problem - check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/yahooligans/>Yahooligans</A>:
    <hr>Yahooligans! is a browsable, searchable directory of Internet sites for kids. Each site has been carefully checked by an experienced educator to ensure the content and links are appropriate for kids aged 7-12. In addition to our directory, we also have a number of fun features, including Yahooligans! Games, Sports and News pages, Yahooligans! Messenger, Parents' and Teachers' Guides, a Cool page, and lots more.

We want Yahooligans! to be your web-surfing tool of choice. So if you want to suggest a site, let us know. If you like something and want to see more, let us know. And if you don't like something, definitely let us know!
    <hr>
    Good luck and please report back on what you find - I am sure there are many out there who would appreciate your feedback.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried Webkeys, which I found at Download.com. It does block out the offensive sites and in fact, blocked me from viewing this thread

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I work at an elementary school and some of the teachers use Net Nanny on their home computeres. They seem to love it!

Wendy