Thread: Locked out

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Locked out

Not even sure where to post this problem. I am locked out of my desktop when I try to open a file on it from my tablet or smart phone. Have been able to do this for years, then suddenly 'no go'. Tablet and phone still log on to LAN and have internet, but when I try to open a file on the desktop, I get a request for user name and password.

From the tablet, I can get the desktops 'work group' and it open it to 'computer' which I can open to 'C' and 'mycomputer' and 'users'. I can open any folder or file in 'users' but get a request for 'user name' and 'password' if I try to open 'C' or 'mycomputer'.

This is a private LAN and computer at home behind a pass-worded secured router. I've checked my 'User Account'. I'm the one account with administrator privileges and no password. In the 'Computer' properties, all the protection settings are 'off'. The network router seems to be working properly. In the Control Pannel/Network Sharing Center, all the folders and media are shared, and the the HomeGroupConnection is set to 'Allow Windows to mange it' and password protection is off.

I'm stuck. Can anyone give me a hand? Or tell me where to find the 'User Name' and 'Password'? Fortunately, I can still work on the desktop at the desktop, so this is not an emergency.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried entering the name of your user account and leaving the password blank?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good idea. But didn't work. Popup window says "Must enter'password'".

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This page lists a few things to check, e.g. IPv6, network discovery, synchronized clocks etc.: Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues

(I'm assuming this is on Windows 7, not Windows 8?)

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2014-05-02 at 18:08.