2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What to do after April.

Hopefully, by now, you folk using XP have already started using another browser and hosed IE8's use. After April, do the next step and disable any application from using IE period (not sure of a good way to uninstall it completely). To do so, article below tells you how.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/browse...sableiedef.htm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to lylejk For This Useful Post:

alphaa10 (2014-04-15)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lylejk View Post
    Hopefully, by now, you folk using XP have already started using another browser and hosed IE8's use. ]
    Oh my yes, long ago, and what's more Chrome with XP, for me has set a new watermark for stability, heck it's outright spoiled me, once in a while I have to trim a few tabs to get back a little memory but it'll run on any XP system I have without crashing or needing to be restarted (relaunched sometimes for updates) literally for months on end (usually until there's a power outage). I don't think I'm hardly ever, EVER not signed in here, day after day, month after month, well, that's Chrome on XP.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Iron which pretty much is Chrome F.U.N. downtown. Just none of the spy stuff that Chrome does to you. The Ops pretty much update their version as soon as a new version of Chrome gets released too so I suspecting (haven't checked yet) that withing a day or two, the new version of Iron will get released too.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i am still using win98se
    and
    xpprosp3 will run for many more years

i might upgrade my old firefox browser someday
    but not because of whatever happens in april

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1. Hide! you should be behind a router or firewall, you should have a NAT IP address. That will make it a little harder to find your XP computer, and therefore harder to attack it. If you are a home user, you probably already have a NAT IP. If it starts with 192.168.n.n or 10.0.0.n you are okay.

2. Have an anti-virus program. So many people have been saying that an anti-virus program won't protect you that some may have gotten the idea that they shouldn't have one. Saying that an anti-virus won't protect you is an incorrect statement. a correct statement is that it won't protect you against everything, and it is more than worthwhile to have one.

3. If you are keeping an XP computer, because you use specific software that will not run on any other computer, then if possible, don't use that computer for anything else besides those software programs.

4. Use another computer to surf the internet. As far as keeping your computer running is concerned, the internet is not your friend. It is probably the most dangerous thing you do as far as picking up malware is concerned.

5. If you have to use the XP computer to surf the web, consider getting a Live image Linux (I recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon if your computer has a DVD drive, there are others that will work fine if you have a CD drive), and using that for web surfing.

6. Backup your data!

7. In addition to backing up your data, make an image! If your system really gets hosed, especially with some of the new root kits, you should be able to run something like DBAN (Derrick's Boot and Nuke) to sterilize your hard drive, then reinstall your pre-infection system from the image, and be back in working order.
    Last edited by Prescott; 2014-03-07 at 13:48. Reason: Change of to or

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Survive the XPocalypse: 10 Tips to Keep Running It Safely
    By Paul Wagenseil on Tom's Hardware
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/10-tips-...ews-18571.html

Lounger
    Thanks
    All good points, especially the idea of using a Linux Live CD during web exposure. and the idea of creating a "good image" of the system, against the day when infection or other disaster strikes. Fred Langa is an imaging fanatic, with the scars of experience to lend wisdom.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a legacy program which won't tolerate multi-threading. Won't run in Windows 7 XP mode. Seems I am stuck with XP as the cost to leave this program is excessive. Would love to hear of any options.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigermag View Post
    Have a legacy program which won't tolerate multi-threading. Won't run in Windows 7 XP mode. Seems I am stuck with XP as the cost to leave this program is excessive. Would love to hear of any options.
    Does this program need to access the internet? If it does not, unplug the LAN cable, and your Windows XP computer will be perfectly safe forever.