Thread: Phantom Folders

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Phantom Folders

I have a small office network in which my "server" is a Windows 7 machine. I have been experiencing odd behavior over the past couple of weeks. When I move a folder from one area of the server to another (a folder where I keep my archived files), the next morning a folder with the same name as the moved folder (but with no contents) appears in the directory where I moved it from. Deleting this "phantom" folder does no good. The next morning it reappears. Has anyone else experienced this problem? My IT consultant says that it is a known phenomenon with no solution.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've not seen this. Are the folders created automatically by an application?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I can tell, no application is involved. Is there something in the properties dialog box that would indicate if an application created it?