Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Reference an outline level (2000 and/or XP)

I have an outline in a Word document. There is also text throughout the document. I'd like to be able to reference an outline level from the outline within the text and have it change when the outline changes. e.g., if there's a level-2 section in the outline that is:

2.1 blah, blah.
    2.2 whatever
    2.3 more stuff

Elsewhere in the text I'd like to be able to say: Refer to section 2.2 but have that 2.2 change if another entry was made in the outline between the existing 2.1 and 2.2. I thought I bookmark and a ref to the bookmark was the answer, but I can't bookmark the numbering in the outline.

Can this be done somehow?

Thanks

Re: Reference an outline level (2000 and/or XP)

Check out three switches you can add to the REF field to pick up paragraph numbering: n, r and w. I didn't experiment with them enough to determine the difference, but basically you just put a bookmark somewhere in the paragraph, and in your REF field, use one of these switches. Rather than copy your bookmarked text, the field shows the paragraph number.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

FANTASTIC. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You don't even need to bookmark anything, if I understand your problem correctly.

The below works for Word 2000; can't vouch for XP since I haven't used it.

1. Use the Insert | Cross Reference Feature. select a reference type of Heading (altho Numbered Item will work also but is more of a pain). Make sure you also select the Insert Reference To item (numbers, etc) as you want. Select the heading (eg, 2.2) that you want. May also want to consider what you want for the 2 check boxes. I find having the cross-ref as a hyperlink may or may not be useful, depending on circumstances.

2. now you can insert a new heading after 2.1. The old 2.2 becomes 2.3. Your cross-ref should change automatically. If it doesn't, all you need to do is select the entire document (CTRL+a) will do. Then update fields (press F9) for this. The cross-ref is treated as a field.

Fred