Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

A simple solution to malware, viruses, trojans

75-92% of ALL Malware, Viruses, etc is stopped by using a Limited or Standard Account. By default we use an Administrator Account which allows us to make changes to our computers. It also allows malware to make changes to our computers. A Limited or Standard account SHUTS THE DOORS of our computers to any changes/infections that may come in. Use the Standard/Limited account most of the time, especially surfing the web, then when you need to install a program or make changes, switch over to Administrator account to make the changes, then switch user back to Limited/Standard for best protection. This is simple and it works!!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/standard...ews-18326.html

How to create a Standard or Limited User Account

XP - https://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/f...ts/factsheet_3
    Win 7 - http://www.staysmartonline.gov.au/fa...s/factsheet_28
    Win 8 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...-in-windows-8/

How to IMPROVE on the Standard/Limited Account to make it even more secure. There are two methods, the 2nd one is easier but both stop more malware than the basic SA/LA.
    http://www.mechbgon.com/srp/
    Last edited by skp14; 2014-05-02 at 06:24.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skp14 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-05-06),petesmst (2014-05-23)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    83.4% of all statistics are made up.

The use of a limited account for everyday computing is very sensible.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Ray Harvey (2014-05-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul you can roll your eyes however you want but the percentages came from Avecto, an enterprise security firm and Leo Laporte, the Tech Guy and security expert Steve Gibson who stated they thought 75% protection. I'm surfing everyday on my Limited account and I don't even notice it. In fact my computer is quicker, snappier using it. With an administrator account the computer is wide open to changes and with a Limited account, you close the doors on changes. I'd say it's not only sensible, but a necessity.

Avecto article and report
    http://www.avecto.com/news-events/pr...lnerabilities/

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It was meant to be a joke.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T: I thought it was funny. Obviously, skp14 doesn't have much of a sense of humor.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elgercee For This Useful Post:

Machu (2014-05-19),Paul T (2014-05-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The smiley face should have been a clue, plus the general agreement with your suggestion.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skp14 View Post
    75-92% of ALL Malware, Viruses, etc is stopped by using a Limited or Standard Account. By default we use an Administrator Account which allows us to make changes to our computers. It also allows malware to make changes to our computers. A Limited or Standard account SHUTS THE DOORS of our computers to any changes/infections that may come in. Use the Standard/Limited account most of the time, especially surfing the web, then when you need to install a program or make changes, switch over to Administrator account to make the changes, then switch user back to Limited/Standard for best protection. This is simple and it works!!

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/standard...ews-18326.html
    Then does that also mean that all updates from Microsoft, and fixes to the security software or updates to other programs that are sent out just don't get installed? ...or do they rest there until we choose to install them later after switching back to 'administrator'.??

Aren't some of these viruses and malware hidden in such a manner that we might still accidently install them??

Thanks
    Paul,

Statistics show 85% of forum users west of the Mississippi don't get a joke unless it involves a pickup truck in the subject line.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    Then does that also mean that all updates from Microsoft, and fixes to the security software or updates to other programs that are sent out just don't get installed? ...or do they rest there until we choose to install them later after switching back to 'administrator'.??
    On Windows 7, for example, look at Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Settings for
    "Choose how Windows can install updates"
    [ ] Allow all users to install updates on this computer
    (that's a tick box!)
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    As long as we're joking....
    Statistically, 85% of Windows XP users suffer from some form of senile dementia and are thus incapable of upgrading.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Who's joking?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Even if under admin user mode, we seldom need admin rights while surfing. Lower your admin rights to limited user rights on the browser(s). It will increase security further under admin mode.
    For those refuse to use limited user mode and keep the admin user mode, this helps security too.

Thanks
    Interesting and useful advice (plus some free humour: Many thanks!!). Such are the advantages of being a Lounge Member!
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elgercee View Post
    Paul T: I thought it was funny. Obviously, skp14 doesn't have much of a sense of humor.
    Who cares what sense of humor I have (I got plenty) when I post something that shows people HOW TO EASILY STOP up to 96% of viruses, malware, junkware on their personal computers? I don't consider it a matter that should be looked over casually. In today's malware-ridden environment that can cripple a computer in a second, I think it's VITAL EASY PROTECTION that people do this. Also out of my whole post - lack of humor is all you get out of it? Whoopee-do!

Thanks
    Oh lighten up Skippy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast