Lounger
    Thanks

Metro News App Crazy Page Advance with Mouse/Cursor Movement

The Metro News App (and other Apps like that) does this strange thing. I use a mouse and don't have touch screen at all. There are two basic ways to navigate ... one is by using the mouse to click on the arrows on the screen to advance forward a page or back a page. The other, which seems to work more reliably is to use the keyboard right and left arrows to go to the next or previous page.

However, even with using the keyboard, I find myself nudging the mouse a little by accident and suddenly, many pages go forward or backward and then you have to find where you were. Why does the mouse/cursor movement (not anywhere near the graphic forward and backward arrows on the screen) suddenly cause this annoying behavior? Do people using touch screens have the same problem? I have searched the Internet for this situation and never find it. I have it on my work and home computer. Like I said, using the keyboard arrows does help. But why does this happen in the first place? Is the application just poorly written?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I don't have a mouse problem in the News app, but I normally scroll with the wheel.

Is it the standard Bing news app, or some other news app?

Are the arrows in center or on a bottom scroll bar?

Any horizontal scroll setting for your mouse?

What mouse is it?

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious about apps. I don't mean this to be a major diversion, but it might explain some things.

Are apps for MS Windows (and the MS phone OS) vetted in the way Apple apps are vetted? Or is it more like the Google "wild west" model?

Without good quality control all kinds of things can go wrong. A lot of programmers subscribe to the end-user-as-debugger philosophy whether they mean to or not. A widget like a page-turner might be fully implemented in the tool kit but the programmer didn't know it. They may have focused on the connectivity issues and threw together the page turning section. It kind of reminds me of early Windows and DOS programming where anybody thought they could do it and eventually they proved that not just anybody could do it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Starry173 View Post
    The Metro News App ... does this strange thing. I use a mouse and don't have touch screen at all. There are two basic ways to navigate ... one is by using the mouse to click on the arrows on the screen to advance forward a page or back a page. The other, which seems to work more reliably is to use the keyboard right and left arrows to go to the next or previous page.

Bothered me too. Try this after you have arrived at a story you want to read - [down] arrow. Then, the [up] arrow.

I think it works. Thinks? Heck it's Sunday.

I should add that I also use a Logitech thumbball and a stroke-able touchpad. To me, using the [up] and [down] arrows, like [pg dn] and [pg up], is my preferred 'next page' technique.
    Last edited by dried_squid; 2014-05-04 at 17:09. Reason: additonal text

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daddy-o View Post
    I'm curious about apps. I don't mean this to be a major diversion, but it might explain some things.

Are apps for MS Windows (and the MS phone OS) vetted in the way Apple apps are vetted? Or is it more like the Google "wild west" model?

Without good quality control all kinds of things can go wrong. A lot of programmers subscribe to the end-user-as-debugger philosophy whether they mean to or not. A widget like a page-turner might be fully implemented in the tool kit but the programmer didn't know it. They may have focused on the connectivity issues and threw together the page turning section. It kind of reminds me of early Windows and DOS programming where anybody thought they could do it and eventually they proved that not just anybody could do it.
    Windows 8 Store apps are vetted by Microsoft. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr.../hh694083.aspx
    for requirements.

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    The mouse is a Logitech Wireless M325
    It is the standard Bing News App
    I just tried the horizontal scrolling on the scroll wheel and the pages whip by, like I was talking about. I went into the mouse settings and horizontal scrolling was set to Forward/Backward. I tried setting them both to Do Nothing and it still goes crazy if I do the left/right with the scroll wheel button.

As for the arrows, I see graphic arrow buttons on the screen I can click on to go forward/backward a page (or a bunch).
    The other arrows I mentioned are just the right and left arrows on the keyboard, which seem to work the best.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, the up and down arrows work well also. Thanks.