Thanks

Another Go at 8.1 - the Update this time...

After I updated to 8.1 only to discover that it wouldn't run my #1 program correctly, I made a drive image (October 18 of last year) and restored my Windows 8 Pro drive image. Now that the Update is out, I'm going to have another run at 8.1. First, I'm downloading and installing 62 updates that I've missed in the interim. The Update hasn't presented itself yet. I'll post updates on my progress.

My (second) first impression; it's flaky. Particularly IE 11. It took three refreshes to get this page to fully load. Mysterious empty squares appear randomly on the page and then disappear. Odd.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2014-05-03 at 10:03. Reason: linked to original 8.1 post
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    After the first 62 updates and a reboot, another check for updates had 4 more, one for IE 11, one for the flash player, another security update and the Update, 890MB+. Download and installation went smoothly. My desktop is BIOS/MBR, my laptop is GPT/UEFI; the Update didn't reconfigure my bootmgr on my desktop like it did on my laptop, so I didn't have to undo that.

I did some finagling with Money Plus Sunset (my must-have program) and found that on the page where my account transactions and balances should show, I was getting a brief "busy" circle of the cursor, then nothing. By right-clicking in the empty page and selecting "Open", I got a warning that I should update from Internet Explorer 7, but it would show me my accounts. I can probably live with that.

Everything else works as I expected. I've unpinned the Store from the Taskbar, and IE 11 seems to have settled down, although I still get an occasional empty box in the editing screen, that disappears after a couple of seconds.

StartIsBack+ is unfazed by the Update. The Update is a bit slower, but I don't have it carved back up onto different drives yet; it's running from a single logical drive. There's a noticeable degradation in performance between 8.1 Update and plain Windows 8 Pro, but I'll carve it up and see if that makes the usual improvement. But not tonight. I'll stow it away in a drive image, and work on that when I have more time. I want to use that opportunity to upgrade my web site with Windows 8 screen grabs, so it will take me longer than usual to get it sliced and diced and rearranged.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I had hassles installing the update over my system "as was". I then installed my System Image Backup from BEFORE the Update and started over. I checked that all my Windows Updates had been installed up to just before "the Update" - KB2919355 (they were). This time, I first "disabled" my security program; uninstalled Classic Shell and then allowed the Update to install. No problems. I then re-activated my security software and downloaded and installed Classic Shell; and all is now fine. (Classic Shell is probably not really necessary now, with the Desktop loading at start using Windows 8.1 Update, but I have gotten used to some of its additional features and have decided to keep it).
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

Thanks
    I had issues with the 8.1 update too; random reboots that were difficult to track down.
    The issue was resolved with a clean install, but I'm uncertain as to the actual cause.
    After a few unsuccessful weeks trying to track it down I gave up and restored W8 from backup.

I recently transferred all my computer components to a new case, one that isn't such a dust magnet.
    After disassembling and a thorough cleaning everything, including the spider web found under the mobo, I decided to clean install
    Windows 8 from scratch then update to 8.1.
    Whatever issue that was causing the random reboots, for whatever reason, is now gone.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.