Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Ruirub:

    Yes, I mentioned in my second post in this thread that if there is an issue I can PROBABLY resolve it via system restore or through the control panel. This, of course, presupposes that I would be able to boot in regular or safe mode. There is no real reason to think I couldn't.

    But I guess it is rather disconcerting to see such unclear information from MS. I hope they will at least clarify the situation. My guess is that if you have W7 and IE9, the other prerequisite updates are moot (they don't apply) and hence the new update should work just fine.

    Is there anyone with W7 and IE 9 who has successfully employed the update?

    Right now, I am using Chrome.

    As you said, for me IE is effectively disabled (although I do confess to still using it once in awhile -- is there a support group for that? <g>)

    Mel

  2. #17
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,287
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Ruirub:

    Yes, I mentioned in my second post in this thread that if there is an issue I can PROBABLY resolve it via system restore or through the control panel. This, of course, presupposes that I would be able to boot in regular or safe mode. There is no real reason to think I couldn't.

    But I guess it is rather disconcerting to see such unclear information from MS. I hope they will at least clarify the situation. My guess is that if you have W7 and IE9, the other prerequisite updates are moot (they don't apply) and hence the new update should work just fine.

    Is there anyone with W7 and IE 9 who has successfully employed the update?

    Right now, I am using Chrome.

    As you said, for me IE is effectively disabled (although I do confess to still using it once in awhile -- is there a support group for that? <g>)

    Mel
    There is no reason for you to think you wouldn't be able to boot. If you couldn't surely wouldn't be due to this security patch. It seems this patch was a bit rushed out, probably because of the seriousness of the security bug, so I will attribute the conflicting information to that - not going through the regular steps to ensure everything is clear, including the info about the patch.

    If your system wouldn't boot, I guess you would have to resort to the your regular emergency routine - Windows repair disk, imaging repair disk, don't know what exactly it is that you have in place for non booting emergencies.

    I haven't patched up, yet. Been so busy would work that haven't bothered, but I only use IE to test dev stuff, don't use it to browse the web. Anyway, I am on IE 10 on Windows 7 (on my main dev machine) and I guess I will patch just to see what happens.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  3. #18
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    10,287
    Thanks
    130
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Well, I have just patched up and my computer booted without issues (I have IE 10 installed, so no KB2929437). The boot process was incredibly long, so be warned. After one of the longest waits I have experienced (with non stop disk activity), the usual Windows notices showed up, the updates were configured (again, a slow process) and the boot process completed. IE seems to be working without issues, as suspected.

    Of course, my experience is not the full assurance of my previous belief that no harm can come from applying the patch, even if not "complying" with the requirements. I would expect the update not to even install, if that was the case, but it did and everything seems to be working normally. The only real annoyance was the very slow boot process.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  4. #19
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'm Confused as Well

    Hi there: I'm new to the Lounge; in fact, I just joined this morning. Depsite repeated checks with Windows Update, it doesn't find the new patch. I have IE9 and Windows 7. Never had update problems before. I used to use "Notify Me Before" setting but yesterday set it to Automatic. Still no patch.

    Has anyone else had this problem? Will the patch show up in the fullness of time?

    Sincerely,

    JenAnne

  5. #20
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,763
    Thanks
    80
    Thanked 340 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    Hi there: I'm new to the Lounge; in fact, I just joined this morning. Depsite repeated checks with Windows Update, it doesn't find the new patch. I have IE9 and Windows 7. Never had update problems before. I used to use "Notify Me Before" setting but yesterday set it to Automatic. Still no patch.

    Has anyone else had this problem? Will the patch show up in the fullness of time?

    Sincerely,

    JenAnne
    You could download the appropriate one of these directly:

    Windows 7 for 32-bit Systems Service Pack 1: Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 in Windows 7 (KB2964358)

    Windows 7 for x64-based Systems Service Pack 1: Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 in Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2964358)

    (Check Computer, Properties, System if unsure whether you have 64-bit Windows 7.)

    Bruce

  6. #21
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 252 Times in 246 Posts
    It may be that the Windows Update components just need resetting which this MS fixit will do for you http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

    Run that and then do another manual check for updates if you aren't auto prompted for it.

  7. #22
    2 Star Lounger miladytn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    The IE update was unchecked on my computer also. Sometime within the last 3 hours, it became checked. The update, for me, installed smoothly without a restart.

  8. #23
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Miladytn:

    Glad it updated easily.
    Do you have W7 and IE 9?

    Mel

  9. #24
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll just wait for a day to see if the patch reaches me in beautiful British Columbia. But I must admit, I'm getting older every minute (and at 68 that's not a good thing). I still don't understand why Update can't find the patch when MS said don't worry Automatic Update will find it, and resetting the components scares me as I'm no expert.

    JenAnne Victoria BC CANADA

  10. #25
    2 Star Lounger miladytn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    144
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    Miladytn:

    Glad it updated easily.
    Do you have W7 and IE 9?

    Mel
    Sorry. I should have specified - W7 Pro with IE9. The one that installed ends with 4358.

  11. #26
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,868
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked 252 Times in 246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    Thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll just wait for a day to see if the patch reaches me in beautiful British Columbia. But I must admit, I'm getting older every minute (and at 68 that's not a good thing). I still don't understand why Update can't find the patch when MS said don't worry Automatic Update will find it, and resetting the components scares me as I'm no expert.

    JenAnne Victoria BC CANADA
    Don't worry about running MS fixits as they are painless and Windows creates a restore point first before applying any that you opt to run.

    I would have thought you would have received the update by now and as you haven't, there could be an underlying condition that could prevent you from receiving that one and even this month's updates and resetting the Update Components is an accepted repair step.

    Windows has its own Update troubleshooter which you can access by going Start - type troubleshooting then press Enter and under System and Security click on Fix problems with Windows Update then follow the prompts.

  12. #27
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ran Troubleshooter- no updates. Ran Fix-it - nothing again. Now whah should I do?

    JenAnne

  13. #28
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    20,543
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 614 Times in 550 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    Ran Troubleshooter- no updates. Ran Fix-it - nothing again. Now whah should I do?

    JenAnne
    Try downloading the update from the link from Bruce's post #20.

    Joe

  14. #29
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Oh Happy Day .. res mirabilis etc. The download worked, but I still don't understand why it had to be done manually. Thanks to all for the help.

  15. #30
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Jen:

    Did it work quickly and flawlessly? I have W7 and IE9 (in fact, I started this thread).

    I think Ruir said it took a very long time
    Mel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •