Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, FYI, after reading the above comments, I decided to just try the update. After all of this discussion, I am pleased to report that it downloaded and updated very rapidly (under 60 seconds from start to finish) and it did not even require a reboot. No issues whatsoever...at least so far!

Mel

Thanks
    WindowsSecret Members are not the only ones confused.

I tried all the "prerequisites" and was told: I either didn't need them or they weren't required. Went ahead ran KB2964358 like compiler and my IE10 is still running okay.

Here's a link to my post (#12) in this SevenForums Thread: Out-of-Band Release to Address Microsoft Security Advisory 2963983

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's surprising that there is so much confusion here about a security update which is determined and installed automatically by your Windows Update, if Windows Update is turned on, and it should be turned on for individuals.
    For corporations, their IT departments decide what updates to send out!

Regardless of which version of Internet Explorer you have, Windows Updates will install the correct security version for you, if your system needs it.

If your Windows Updates are not turned on for some reason that I can't understand (aside from being a pirated copy of Windows), then go here and follow the simple steps:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...y/updates.aspx

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was easily confused (see Monty Python). I downloaded and installed from the link in #20. Very quick but had to restart. I'm amazed at the lack of information from MS for non-experts like me. I wonder if the MS Home Security Newsletter that comes out on patch Tuesday will have some better information (ie why Update couldn't find it).

So thanks all and I'm glad I found the Lounge.

Jen Victoria BC Canada
    PS:Next task for me: find out why my HP Hardware Diagnostics Tool freezes; any tips - sorry wrong topic!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JenAnne View Post
    Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was easily confused (see Monty Python). I downloaded and installed from the link in #20. Very quick but had to restart. I'm amazed at the lack of information from MS for non-experts like me. I wonder if the MS Home Security Newsletter that comes out on patch Tuesday will have some better information (ie why Update couldn't find it).

So thanks all and I'm glad I found the Lounge.

Jen Victoria BC Canada
    PS:Next task for me: find out why my HP Hardware Diagnostics Tool freezes; any tips - sorry wrong topic!
    You may need an updated version http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01443317

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sh10453 View Post
    It's surprising that there is so much confusion here about a security update which is determined and installed automatically by your Windows Update, if Windows Update is turned on, and it should be turned on for individuals.

Regardless of which version of Internet Explorer you have, Windows Updates will install the correct security version for you, if your system needs it.

If your Windows Updates are not turned on for some reason that I can't understand (aside from being a pirated copy of Windows), then go here and follow the simple steps:

Why do you assume that users that don't run Windows Updates (WU) automatically are using a pirated copy? You assume too much.

Not everyone enjoys awakening or starting their machines to find that WU has hosed their machine and then has to go through the process of reverting to a time before the WU's were installed, therefore "they - me" has WU set to "Download Updates but let me choose whether to install them" or hide them.

Microsoft is not infallible - "Once burned, twice shy". The question here is; When is it your turn?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Anak For This Useful Post:

1PW (2014-05-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    <snip>

If your Windows Updates are not turned on for some reason that I can't understand (aside from being a pirated copy of Windows)....
    Regular readers of Susan Bradley's Patch Watch column (http://windowssecrets.com/category/patch-watch/)—as well as those of us who have been bitten by problematic patches in the past—understand the value of waiting to install Windows Updates after they have been fully vetted.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm running Win7 with IE11.
    The update showed up out of cycle and checked. I waited to see what WinSecrets would have to say. Then it showed up unchecked. And then checked again.

Just installing it now. It required a reboot.

Just for clarity with readers here: Windows Secrets contributors like Fred Langa recommend you:
    - set Windows Update to notify but don't install. WinSecrets typically comes out a couple of days later and will warn you of any issues with specific updates. This greatly reduces hassles with the occasional problem patch. I've had to help friends out of such issues but not myself.

- Update IE when it's OKed - even if you don't use it (it's a good idea to use an alternative browser as it has security issues like ActiveX). Why update IE? Because IE is closely tied to the OS and unpatched IE can be a back door to trouble. Scripts on an infected web page or email can easily trigger it via ActiveX, etc. And even the good sites can get infected.

I'm surprised so many WinSecrets readers would not have updated IE. Bad idea.

Thanks

I see you are relatively new to The Lounge. So you can be forgiven for not realizing that Windows secrets serves a variety of users. Everyone from Home Users who treat their computers as applaiances (just want it to work without thinking about it) to Power Users and IT Pros and technicians, who may have highly modified system configurations and may therefore be much more likely to experience patching issues. Susan Bradley aims her column at small business users primarily, and they have to make sure each patch will not disrupt mission-critical systems before applying any patches.

Add to this mix Woody Leonard, whose (separate) blog gives users recommendations about when there are patching issues, and we have a wide variety indeed of readers and Lounge participants, each group with our own needs and concerns.

To assume someone not allowing Automatic Updates is hiding criminal activities is simply absurd. Woody's blog is full of reasons NOT to trust MS Automatic Updates, especially for Windows 8/8.1. To accuse me and thousands of followers of AskWoody of piracy is beyond insulting -- it borders on a violation of the civility we in The Lounge expect from our fellow members.

As this current discussion about just one of the current MS Updates and its KB Article shows, nothing is ever certain with Microsoft Updates. It pays to question and wait for others to report before letting MS Updates install just anything they may throw at us.

BTW, if the patch isn't checked by default, it won't be installed by Automatic Updates. Woody Leonard's advice is NEVER to check what is not checked by default. These patches are often unchecked for certain systems for good reasons.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-08 at 16:56.
    -- Bob Primak --

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

genej313 (2014-05-09),miladytn (2014-05-10),scaisson (2014-05-08)

Thanks
    BTW, if the patch isn't checked by default, it won't be installed by Automatic Updates. Woody Leonard's advice is NEVER to check what is not checked by default. These patches are often unchecked for certain systems for good reasons.
    Unchecked listed Windows updates are unchecked because they are not critical, not because they are not appropriate for the system running the update. They are purely optional and can improve system operation. I almost always install these optional updates and have never run into a problem. I also don't recall Woody ever giving the advice you quoted to never check an unchecked Windows Update. Can you give me a citation?

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-05-08 at 21:22.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    " I also don't recall Woody ever giving the advice you quoted to never check and unchecked Windows Update. Can you give me a citation?

Jerry"

Woody has mentioned it quite a few times as I recall, but here's one of them. See the last paragraph in his lead-in.

http://www.askwoody.com/2014/msdefcon-5-patched-11/

Thanks
    I stand corrected. I don't subscribe to that newsletter so I wasn't aware. I still disagree with the premise however.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Window Vista home premium and IE 9, I installed the patch in question with no problems

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidFB View Post
    I'm running Win7 with IE11.
    The update showed up out of cycle and checked. I waited to see what WinSecrets would have to say. Then it showed up unchecked. And then checked again.

Just installing it now. It required a reboot.

Just for clarity with readers here: Windows Secrets contributors like Fred Langa recommend you:
    - set Windows Update to notify but don't install. WinSecrets typically comes out a couple of days later and will warn you of any issues with specific updates. This greatly reduces hassles with the occasional problem patch. I've had to help friends out of such issues but not myself.

- Update IE when it's OKed - even if you don't use it (it's a good idea to use an alternative browser as it has security issues like ActiveX). Why update IE? Because IE is closely tied to the OS and unpatched IE can be a back door to trouble. Scripts on an infected web page or email can easily trigger it via ActiveX, etc. And even the good sites can get infected.

I'm surprised so many WinSecrets readers would not have updated IE. Bad idea.
    I waited a couple of days until our IT guys announced they were pushing an update. They did not give the KB #, which would mean nothing to almost anyone except the IT guys and me. (When I asked because it didn't push to my machine, the Help Desk guy could not tell me, so maybe it only means something to me. I pulled it anyway.) I was expecting an out-of-cycle Patch watch but Susan did not issue one and I had to do some digging in Technet before I could even infer that the KB was for the ZDE.

Anyway, I don't have the prerequisites nor have they been offered AFAIK. I had a recent System Restore so rolled the dice and installed the update, which ran fine and required a restart in two very different environments - Win7 x64 with IE 11 and Win XP Pro with IE 9. I use Firefox at home (the Win 7 box) and have noticed no difference since the update. I switched to Chrome on the XP box at work, which is quicker than IE ever was.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My apology to anyone I may have offended, which was never my intention. I'll now go and sit grounded in the class-room for 3 days!

Yes, I agree that advanced users / businesses may turn off WU, or set it to just "download and let me decide".

I think I have failed to explain that the recommended settings should be to download the updates and let the user decide, which is what I have always done.

In my case, and for this particular patch, Windows downloaded it automatically, and I gave it the OK to patch after I looked at the KB and understood what it is for.

Thanks to all who have replied, and I'll check out the blog sometime.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast