Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Confused about latest patch

Ok, I see I got the new update:
    Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2964358)

But when I go to more information, it says I first must have security update 2929437 installed. I don't and that security update is for IE 11. I have IE9 on my W7 machine. It says if I don't have 2929437 installed first, then IE will crash.

I am confused

Mel

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use IE 10 and also don't have KB2929437 either but KB2964358 installed without incident for me.

It's quite possible that KB....437 won't install as being not required when IE 11 isn't installed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by compiler View Post
    It says if I don't have 2929437 installed first, then IE will crash.

I am confused
    Does it? (crash)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I think MS must be assuming everyone uses IE 11 even though the likes of Vista and XP can't go that high.

If Windows doesn't/hasn't offered KB2929437 then I would say you don't need it.

-----------------

Been having a bit more dig around on this and came across two articles with the second one (Applies to), that this concern only applies to those who are using IE 11 and IE 7, even though the first article's "Applies to" suggests that it applies to IE 6 - IE 11.

The latter KB2964444 is an alternative for those using IE 11 and IE 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964444
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-03 at 11:46.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:

I am afraid to install the update:

1) Afraid that my computer will crash and I will be unable to recover (I know this is unlikely as I should be able to delete the new update directly or indirectly via system restore)

2) My big concern is that this is the wrong update for my setup (IE9 and W7). I do prefer using IE over Chrome and Firefox (hey, that's just me -- stop sneering). I am now using Chrome. I don't want to install the update, think IE is now patched, and use IE when this is the wrong patch.

I hope Sue Bradley will clear things up.

Mel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Bruce:

I am afraid to install the update:
    I assumed when you said, "Ok, I see I got the new update: Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 x64 Edition (KB2964358)" that it was installed.

My big concern is that this is the wrong update for my setup (IE9 and W7).
    I don't really understand that when that's exactly what it says it is.

(Although I do agree that Microsoft have totally screwed up the Known Issues info in the KB article.)

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Been having a bit more dig around on this and came across two articles with the second one (Applies to), that this concern only applies to those who are using IE 11 and IE 7, even though the first article's "Applies to" suggests that it applies to IE 6 - IE 11.

The latter KB2964444 is an alternative for those using IE 11 and IE 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964358

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2964444
    Did you mean "and Windows 7" here? I can't see any mention of IE7 in this respect.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I received the update, but did not install it.

The related article said that if I didn't have this other update, IE would crash. But I don't have that other update, nor should I as it is for IE11.

It's just confusing.

Mel

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Did you mean "and Windows 7" here? I can't see any mention of IE7 in this respect.

Bruce
    At the bottom of the second article it says that it applies to Internet Explorer 11 and Windows Internet Explorer 7 - although I was wondering if that was a misprint, but I have to go by what is printed and agree, they've made a right mess of explaining things.

If we read that as IE 11 / Win 7 and we aren't using IE 11, then we can ignore the dire warnings regarding the prerequisites to installing KB2964358.

Perhaps Mel can gain some comfort from this Sevenforums post to support what I've been saying http://www.sevenforums.com/security-...ml#post2765174

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    At the bottom of the second article it says that it applies to Internet Explorer 11 and Windows Internet Explorer 7 - although I was wondering if that was a misprint,
    Oh yeah; I'd already asked Microsoft what the heck "Windows Internet Explorer 7" meant.

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Oh yeah; I'd already asked Microsoft what the heck "Windows Internet Explorer 7" meant.

Bruce
    Yes, I'd also submitted my Feedback on that as well.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo:

Thanks very much for that link. It was enlightening and gives me comfort in the sense that I now see my confusion is indeed justified.

Here is one of the posts, stated more succinctly than my initial post:
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    It's certainly confusing. I have Windows 7 with IE9 (although I use mainly Chrome) and don't have any record in my update history or hidden updates of the pre-requisite 2929437 update, while being offered the new 2964358 update as an unchecked important update. I also don't have any record of the alternative pre-requisite 2964444 update. That's all in relation to the machine I'm using now, I'll check the other one next time I have it on and get offered the new update.

I'll do nothing for now, and watch this space...

EDIT: It looks from the MS forum as if some users are having issues with this new update, and there is also a lot of confusion over the indication that the two alternative pre-requisite updates to be installed before this latest one are stated to be for IE11. IE9 and IE10 users are therefore left wondering what to do.
    My System Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's up to you if you want to install it or not - I can only affirm that as a Win 7 / IE 10 user that I haven't had any problems after installing the patch without the IE 11 prerequisites.

I don't know what problems have been reported on the MS forum but those other two updates are only required for those using IE 11 and if the problems have arisen from non IE 11 users attempting to install updates that don't apply.....

As MS have issued a patch, I'm not sure if they will release anything to compliment it in this month's updates - unless you want to wait and see what happens with that, but notwithstanding what has been reported on the MS forum, I think your fears are ungrounded - but having said that, there is one ISP site which keeps returning Windows Internet Explorer has stopped responding - but I don't know if that is related and have yet to restore to prior the patch to find out - too busy today - just know that the site works fine in Firefox.

I agree that MS seemed to have handled this badly as in the first article I'd linked in the "Applies to", it does read as if either of those other two updates are required for IE 6 - IE 11, but as you have found when Googling the KBs, my Googling KB2964444 produced another article that was more positive (sort of), that the prerequisites only applied to Win 7 / IE 11 users.

Just as an update to the problem with that ISP site.

I still got the Internet Explorer has stopped working with the patch uninstalled and could only get it to work with IE 10 in Compatibility Mode, so it must have a problem somewhere as it wouldn't even work when I changed it to IE 9 mode via F12.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-04 at 04:45.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Also, why is this update sent unchecked.
    In fact, why are some updates checked and others unchecked.

I can see something like IE11 unchecked (since that is a bigger decision)

Mel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    If you install the update and IE crashes, you can always remove it afterwards, either through system restore or through the control panel. To be honest, IE is not really usable with such a flaw unpatched, so in its present condition it is almost as usable if it crashed.

I'm sorry, I see no reason for such hesitation, considering the situation is as I have just described it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast