Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The real fault lies TOTALLY with MS for not making things clear. I started this thread. When I finally got the "courage" to do the update, it was a 60 second non-event. MS just did not make things clear -- in fact, their message was contradictory as they said IE would crash if a certain update was not done first, but the update was for IE11. So, those of us with an earlier version of IE were left hanging. I really do expect better from MS

Also, my set-up merely informs me that updates are ready for my computer. I've read enough horror stories about updates, so I usually wait for Susan's okay before doing the d/-installation.

Mel
    Mel

Thanks
    We all deserve better from Microsoft (MS), for reasons unknown to us they just dropped the ball (big time) on this one. Don't worry, if you search the web MS knows it too.

Here is something anyone can sign-up for, if you have a Windows Live ID: Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification The sign-up link is first up on the right under Related Links just follow the prompts.

If you would rather not register you can go here: Microsoft Security Bulletin; Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary
    • Scroll down a bit until you see Upcoming Release.
    • Click on Microsoft Security Bulletin Advance Notification for (current Month - current Year) in this case May 2014.
    • When that opens you will see what MS is planning for the May 2014 Updates on the 13th.
    • Don't forget to check out the Other Information link in the On this Page box.

You can reach this page quicker if you click on either of the two links below the sign-up link I pointed out in my paragraph above or the embolden Read the most recent advance notification or the most recent security bulletin summary near the bottom of that page.

For sh10453; That's okay no harm, no foul. I believe you learned something here and you can come out now instead of waiting until Tuesday.
    Last edited by Anak; 2014-05-11 at 10:09. Reason: Sentence structure.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Unchecked listed Windows updates are unchecked because they are not critical, not because they are not appropriate for the system running the update. They are purely optional and can improve system operation. I almost always install these optional updates and have never run into a problem. I also don't recall Woody ever giving the advice you quoted to never check an unchecked Windows Update. Can you give me a citation?

Jerry
    Woody's most recent repetition of the advice not to check updates which are unchecked:
    http://www.askwoody.com/2014/msdefco...eats/#comments

woody May 7th, 2014 at 06:44

@Jacquie -

Optional updates are rarely worth installing.
    woody May 14th, 2014 at 07:46

@Cayak -

The first patch is for all versions of IE. Go ahead and install it, IF IT’S CHECKED.

Don’t go checking anything that isn’t checked. Ain’t smart to fool Mother Nature.
    You get the drift, yes?
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2014-05-15 at 11:27.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Well I disagree with Woody on these. There are a few optional updates I ignore like the Bing desktop and language options but I've been installing the others on my PCs and the client machines I've worked on with no reported problems. Since they are truly optional, your PC will work without them but they can be useful - Certificate updates and compatibility fixes come to mind. I just believe in keeping Windows as patched as possible. But YMMV.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Well I disagree with Woody on these. There are a few optional updates I ignore like the Bing desktop and language options but I've been installing the others on my PCs and the client machines I've worked on with no reported problems. Since they are truly optional, your PC will work without them but they can be useful - Certificate updates and compatibility fixes come to mind. I just believe in keeping Windows as patched as possible. But YMMV.

Jerry
    I also usually just apply everything which is not obviously a MS Sales Pitch or a prep for an upgrade I don't intend to do. Or a driver-related item. Otherwise, most of the Optional Updates and unchecked items pass muster with Susan Bradley -- eventually. That's good enough for me.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234