New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Expand EFI System Partition

Am ready to follow Susan Bradley's instructions to install Windows 8.1 update... as soon as Woody gives the MS-DEFCON ok to patch. 1 issue, however:
    She says to check the System Reserved partition & make sure it's 350MB. The EFI System Partition on my Windows 8.1 laptop is 300MB. When I go to Disk Management & right-click on the partition, everything but Help is grayed out on the menu; including Extend Volume. I opened a command prompt & started DISKPART, listed volumes & selected the right one. When I entered 'extend size=50', it came back 'You may not extend OEM, ESP, or recovery partitions'. The other partitions are NTFS, but the SYSTEM partition is FAT32.

Is there a way to either change the partition type from FAT32 to NTFS, & if not, is there a way to extend the partition to 350MB? Susan said 'If you don't have sufficient System Reserved space, you might have to enlarge the partition, typically with a Linux-based partition-editing tool.'. If there are no simple ways to change and/or extend the partition, could I patch without extending the EFI System Partition?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    The EFI partition on my laptop is 102MB, and I didn't have any trouble. And the System Reserved partition is only 32MB.

The Update adds a couple of small files to the EFI partition, but I've still got free space in mine.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

BillIngramIsMe (2014-05-03)

Thanks
    Agreed; My System Reserved Partition is 105MB and I am running Windows 8.1 Update after having run Windows 8, and before that Windows 7, without any hassles; (Only 13.28MB of my System Partition is used).
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to petesmst For This Useful Post:

BillIngramIsMe (2014-05-04)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've used the Thanks button already, but I wanted to do it more verbally. Looks like I will be OK when I apply all the updates & upgrade to Win 8.1 Update. Not running the Pro version, & everything's been fine with Win 8, 8.1 & probably will be with Win 8.1 Update (or 8.1.1 if you prefer). Looking forward to the new changes, but since I'm one of the few that actually LIKES the Start screen , will change my settings after it boots me to the desktop for the 1st time.

Thanks
    @ BillIngramIsMe: Windows 8.1 Update (Windows "8.1.1") gives you a desktop at startup that is similar to the "old" Windows 7. If you want it even more closely like that, you could always install Classic Start (or a similar program) to give you all the same options - and a few more.
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    Windows 8.1 Update (Windows "8.1.1") gives you a desktop at startup that is similar to the "old" Windows 7. If you want it even more closely like that, you could always install Classic Start (or a similar program) to give you all the same options - and a few more.
    Thanks, but as I said, I actually LIKE the Win 8.1 Start screen & Not looking to be on the desktop unless in Firefox. If Microsoft really fixes the IE 0day problem, will probably go back to IE as my default... but customized Firefox does some cool things with the right add-ons.