2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't identify backup

My OS is Win7 Home Premium 64 bit. I recently noticed in my action center that a "Backup is in progress". When I click on the notice, it takes me to the normal backup & restore window. Neither of my external hard drive backups is involved - in fact, I removed both of them but still got the message. I cannot identify what is being backed up and where? I tried System Restore as well as restoring my most recent backup image. Still no success. Any help here?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a follow up - when I got up this morning I thought I'd take a look at my wife's side of the computer to see if she was trying to download something. As it turns out, we no longer have an action center message and nothing is being backed up. Either what was being downloaded(?) finished or something else cleared up the problem. In any event, things are back to normal.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Must be time to install one of the free backup programs.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a free back up program, but I don't see what that would have to do with the problem. I again have an action center message showing "Backup in progress". I don't know what it could be, and by the time I have another response, it could be that my system will have been turned off and back on tomorrow when the message probably will be gone.

Thanks
    There is NO real backup in progress, obviously, it's active but can't actually complete a backup.
    Solution:
    Go in there and turn the action center message off, then do the same with Windows Backup.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's the next day and I still have the message. I don't know how to turn the action center message off. When I click on it, it brings up all the action center information, including maintenance, which shows a backup is in progress, but clicking on a link (details) under the backup heading it doesn't go anywhere - what looks like a link (in blue print) isn't actually one.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a read through this article and then you can check to see if it is running as a scheduled task http://superuser.com/questions/31532...backup-setting

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked out the link you posted and went into scheduled tasks and deleted it. However, it is still running, and now I find I can't activate the backup & restore program from the control panel.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I'll restore a system image I created a couple weeks ago to see if that helps. I'll post a response after that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    On seeing the notification of what is your Post #8 I was going to suggest to go Start - type services.msc - press Enter then scroll down to Windows Backup and check to see that it was set to Manual and not showing as Started, but the system image should do the job if you don't have that backup running message.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

lodidad1 (2014-06-03)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15
    Your post #10 is a good one. Wish I'd seen it before doing the system restore. Anyway, right now I no longer have an "unknown backup" running, and I have a lot of suggestions to consider if the problem occurs again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to hear that the system image did the job and didn't include the problem.

An advantage of the system image is that it would have included earlier restore points that you may no longer have had, had the snapshot of the system image included the problem.

Restoring with a restore point or system image are usually the best options for problems when their cause is unknown and "standard" fixes don't work.