Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Defender Error

I'm trying to schedule the Defender to scan daily on my 8.1.1 and it is failing to start. I receive this message:

The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)

Can someone shed some light on this for me, please?

Thanks
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Doesn't Windows Defender run a daily quick scan by default anyway?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Doesn't Windows Defender run a daily quick scan by default anyway?
    Yes, but only a quick scan.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Updates come through fine, but Defender wasn't scanning daily so I followed the instructions posted here to set up the daily quick scan, but the above is the error I am receiving and I can't figure out what is not programed right; hence my question.

Thanks
    That error code is associated with missing or corrupt files.

Have you checked that the path statement in the Task Scheduler Action tab is correct?

Have you tried running sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt?

Have you looked at the task History tab?

Unleash Windows

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

squire (2014-05-05)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Checked all and couldn't find anything. How about deleting it and starting all over? Is this ok to do?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The program entry in the task scheduler has to be in quotes if the path contains any spaces.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Checked all and couldn't find anything. How about deleting it and starting all over? Is this ok to do?
    Yes, that's fine. I've done that more than once in getting a task setup to run the way I wanted. Don't delete the default quick scan task, just your own entry.

Follow the steps in the post I linked. Use "Browse" when filling in the "Program/script" textbox, and the path will be input correctly.

Did you run sfc /scannow?

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, nothing happened. I did however delete the default scan task.

Thanks
    Will Windows Defender run a manual scan?

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    yes, I can run a scan on demand

Thanks
    Have you tried re-creating your task for a scan in Task Scheduler?

Unleash Windows

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try it later and let you know how it goes.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Created task for update and scan, both worked. Thanks for hanging in with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast