Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Rick's suggestion in Post #11 to clean the info from the registry after first creating a restore point ?

Do you have the external HD permanently plugged in ?

Some earlier machines don't have the option to boot from USB but as the BIOS is still listing Drive A: - try reinstalling the Chipset drivers to see if that will sort out the USB drive letter allocation.

Resetting or checking for a BIOS update may have to be the next option.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TerryGH - I you provide the manufacturer and model of your mainboard then we should be able to find a manual describing its boot capabilities in the BIOS. Use something like the free Piriform Speccy to get the info if you don't already know it.

Example:
    speccy.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Hope this helps...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what I missed last night, but this am when I booted to bios (DEL key on this machine), the USB was an option for boot order, and when changed and saved, it asked if ok to boot from USB, and loaded without a problem. Thanks again to all of you for the help ... TGH

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You may not have selected Save and Exit after changing the boot order for it not to have worked last time.

Were you just wanting a bootable Recovery/Repair media or are you intending to do a Repair Install ?

As you can see, a Repair Install may not be plain sailing and you would need to back up the drivers folders from Windows/Sytem32 to drop them back in afterwards http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

If you have an OEM build then you may have a Recovery partition which you can use to factory reset after backing up your personal files and making a note of any product keys for 3rd party programs.

This would probably resolve the Drive A: problem - else try the suggestions in my previous post.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think you are probably right, Sudo, re the not saving the boot order before. And definitely will keep your other notes and thoughts in mind -- once again thanks to you and all in this thread that have pitched in the week ....

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    ??Was this a USB 2.0 port, or a 3.0 one??

Zig

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    ??Was this a USB 2.0 port, or a 3.0 one??

Zig
    I don't think it would matter if you were using an USB 2.0 or 3.0 - you are creating a bootable media for your computer.

You have the links for the ISO and the burner tools in the thread - give it a try.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12