Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Repair Disk on USB

Last week I posted a reply to Fred Langa's article on emergency repair disks/drives but I think it got lost in the numerous messages, so apologies if this is considered a second post.

Basically I just want to get links to a "Good" set of instructions for getting and ISO file (and a burner program for a USB flashdrive) that is basically described at the techradar page ( (http://www.techradar.com/us/news/sof...b-stick-984726 ) but it links to the Neosmart page which I found very confusing and no direct link or reference to a solution for USB drives.

Alternatively, I am willing to pay a $20 fee that Fred mentioned for a commercial solution, so if someone can recommend a good site to get this done in a safe and efficient manner. Thanks in advance ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Assuming you have an ISO ready to go I recommend Rufus as the burner / format program. I've used it a lot and it just works.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2014-05-05),TerryGH (2014-05-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul --Rufus looks like it will serve the burning role perfectly, but still need to find a source for the Windows 7 repair ISO image.

Actually the Rufus link (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) talked about the "Windows 7 USB download tool" on http://wudt.codeplex.com/ which refers to the Win7 ISO installation file but not the repair ISO file ... so any help in locating the repair ISO file will be appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred's article shows how to create a Windows 7 repair CD. Once you have done this you can create an ISO from the CD with my favourite burning tool CDBurnerXP, using the Copy CD option and selecting hard drive as the target.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2014-05-05)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    MS have issued take down notices for the sites that had links for the 64 bit Recovery ISO download but you may be able to use http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=38435 as a 32 bit Repair ISO and the Windows USB/DVD tool may accept it as an ISO to create a bootable USB Flash drive.

Win 7 SP1 ISOs can also be used for repair to give you access to the Recovery Environment and the Windows USB/DVD Tool can be used to create your bootable Flash drive.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2014-05-05)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo and all for the help -- my week has already taken two right turns and back again so not sure when I will be able to take action on your recs, but I surely do appreciate the information. TGH

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I thought I was home free after following Sudo's suggested steps (finding/downloading the Win7 Pro 64bit ISO & installing the Windows USB/DVD Tool) without a problem -- and starting up the tool to see a nice walk thru Step 1 of 4 etc. But on Step 3 it is only recognizing Drive A\removable disk which does not exist on my machine -- and after refreshing many time (and even rebooting my pc to make sure all drives including the USB in Drive H are recognized), the Win7 usb/dvd download tool only recognizes the non-existent drive A.

Any thoughts or ideas? Maybe just try another burning tool?

Sidenote: I checked out the site for CDBurnerXP that Paul T suggested but that appears to only be for cds/dvds.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what's going on there as the tool recognized my F: 8GB Flash drive.

With the Flash drive plugged in go Start - type diskmgmt.msc - press Enter then check which drive letter is assigned to the Flash drive.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Rufus will put an ISO on a USB, CDBurnerXP will only do it on CD/DVD.

cheers, Paul

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2014-05-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply, Sudo -- Disk Mgmt is showing it as volume H as expected healthy 3.73 GB 100% free -- but it is FAT32 vs NTFS as the other drives listed. I just bought the Scandisk flash drive last week so surprised about that.

I went ahead and reformatted the flash drive as NTFS, removed and re-inserted the usb drive and re-ran the tool and still the same things -- it only shows the non-existent Drive A.

Even though I read that a 4gb drive would be large enough (and the ISO file is 3.2GB), and would expect to receive a separate message if the drive was too small, but could that be the issue -- I need at least an 8.0GB usb drive? Any other thoughts?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It shouldn't matter - here's an obviously too small USB stick showing in the Windows USB/DVD Tool.

too-small.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Try Uwe Sieber's DriveCleanup or Nir Sofer's USBDeview to clean/uninstall the information for the USB stick itself from the Windows registry.

Hope this helps...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2014-05-10)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A 4GB stick is the most suitable but the 8GB stick that I tried to see what the tool would report, was the only free stick I have.

That is also a new Sandisk so I'll load the ISO onto that and let you know what it reports.

Update - After briefly showing Formatting it went on to copy the files without any problems and has booted up from it, although it missed it first time but booted up fine when I left it in for a second go via F12.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-10 at 13:03.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

TerryGH (2014-05-10)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have a DVD that you could use to create a bootable disk to see if it recognizes that drive ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-05-10 at 13:46.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I finally gave up on the Win7 usb/dvd tool and successfully used Rufus software that Paul T suggested to get the ISO burned to the flash drive. However I have not been able to get my Win7 Pro machine to boot to the usb -- even after going to the bios and changing the drive order for my two internal and one external HD. Once again on my machine in the Bios-Boot order the USB drive does NOT show up but the non-existent A drive does.

In any case two different attempts does not get it to boot from the USB so I will take another look at this and search for some answers tomorrow. Thanks again all ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally you would press F12 as boot up to allow you to choose a boot device. This should show the USB stick as an option. If not the PC may not be happy booting from USB.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast