New Lounger
    Thanks

How to expand my C drive with the free space of D drive?

Hello! My computer is using Windows 7. The C drive has about 95GB, but, there is only 10GB of free space left. I have an adjacent D drive that has 30 GB of free space now. So, I have tried to add the free space to my C drive. But, the “Extend” option has been grayed out somehow. Help me to expand my C drive! Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Lance,

The best way is to use a 3rd party partition manager, such as those by AOMEI, EaseUS, Minitools or Paragon. Move the data on D: to the back of the drive, then unallocate some of the space in front, finally adding it to the back of the C: drive. The last operation will probably require a reboot, and run before the OS boots up. Have a backup of both partitions made beforehand, just in case something goes wrong.

Zig

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If you already have data on your D: drive you will need to make sure you backup all data from D:, then remove the partition on D: using Disk Management (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc). You should now be able to extend C: to fill the remainder of the disk and restore the data to C:.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance269 View Post
    Hello! My computer is using Windows 7. The C drive has about 95GB, but, there is only 10GB of free space left. I have an adjacent D drive that has 30 GB of free space now. So, I have tried to add the free space to my C drive. But, the “Extend” option has been grayed out somehow. Help me to expand my C drive! Thanks!
    It sounds to me like you need to get a bigger hard drive. Then clone your present drive to the new drive, using the option to scale the partitions up.

If you have a desktop, and it's not a USFF, you could use your current drive as additional storage.

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    ???USFF??? ?WTF?

Zig

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    ???USFF??? ?WTF?

Zig
    USFF Ultra Small Form Factor. USFF desktops usually don't have room for more than 1 hard drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All right! You may try this:
    Back up all your partition data on another drive well, open Disk Management, shrink D drive and right click C drive to extend it there.
    Or you can try some partition resizing tool to help you extend it successfully, like GParted, IM-Magic Partition Resizer Free and Active Partition Master, etc.
    No matter which way you prefer, always firstly back up everything important well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like your free space is not adjacent to your C drive. But, that’s not to say, you do not have chances to extend your space.
    I know there is video tutorial that talks about how to extend partition space in details:
    youtube.com/watch?v=6jCeT7CbsKk
    It may give you some helps.
    Never forget to make data backups well in advance.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can we see a screenshot of your current setup (Disk Management) before making guesses?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend that the easiest way to do it is to use the Merge option in Partition Wizard – read how to do it here in their excellent help pages:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/...partition.html

You can download the free Windows version of Partition Wizard from the home page but I’d recommend you actually use the boot disk version and do it from outside of Windows at start-up – much less to go wrong than any ‘live’ Windows based partition manager. You can download the boot iso here:
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/parti...otable-cd.html

I’m reasonably sure the latest free version8 still includes Merge but if not then Google for V7 or V7.5 which definitely does include Merge.

My golden rule for all partition changes is to make sure you defrag all partitions before you start – it makes things much smoother, safer and less prone to BUs

As others have said, the safest thing of all is to make a backup of everything just in case – but I rarely have the time for that!

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!