New Lounger
    Thanks

Explore crashes in Win-7

Explore started crashing after I did something while another program was doing it's thing. If I right click on a folder in the left pane, lets say I want to re-name it. Explore crashes, gives me an error msg "Windows Explore has stopped working" Then it says "Windows Explore is restarting" and closes out. I just discovered something funny, I made a new User Account and while in that account, Explore DOES NOT CRASH. So, is there a configuration file or something that I could move from the new user account to my original which is my Admin account? I tried just copying over from C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explo rer but Windows wont let me do that saying "The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open". I would guess I was trying to move the wrong files maybe? There must be a file someplace that could be copied from the good account to the bad one.
    Any help please.
    Don
    Last edited by donny; 2014-05-13 at 14:54.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There's not a lot you can do with files when they are in use.

Have you tried your restore points in Safe Mode to take you back to before this started happening ?

You could also boot up into Safe Mode with Command Prompt and run a sfc /scannow to see what that reports.

Thanks
    Try running Chkdsk /f from an elevated command prompt. You will get a message that states you eill have to reboot for the command to run. Restart and Chkdsk should run.

Instructions for moving data to a new user profile can be found at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried the sfc /scannow but couldn't find the cbs.log file it talked about.
    I used the link in the second reply and did basically what it said to do but only moved the files in the Explore folder and that seemed to work.
    Thanks for both replies.
    Don

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you were able to sort it with Jerry's suggestion.

If the sfc found no integrity violations then your system is okay but if it is unable to repair some files, then Option Three in http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...e-checker.html will show you how to view the cbs log.

If you get an Access Denied when trying to open it from the desktop, then right click on it and Send to Notepad.