Lounger
    Thanks

Compatibility problem, HP6p laserjet printer with new Win 7 install

I recently installed a new Win7 operating system onto my desktop HP computer that was formerly using XP. I believe I have that all done very successfully.

Now I wish to get my printer and scanner working again. I have a HP 6p Laserjet black and white printer that has worked great for a number of years. But I never had the original driver disc for it,...just got the driver on-line years ago. Also this older printer did not originally come with a USB port so I purchased an Entrega USB to parallel connector (actually bought 2 just to have a spare). So I interpret this as having a USB connection with my printer.

According to the Win7 program it should 'recognize' my printer as soon as I hook it up. It did not. When I then sought to 'install a printer', my particular model number was not listed in the original list. So I asked for the 'upgraded list', which took a long while to come up. Eventually I chose to download the driver for my 6p printer to my 32 bit Win installation. And the icon appears on my printer list. I then chose to make it the default printer, even while there is another icon there for a "USB printing support".

Now I try to print a test page....doesn't print, but shows it in the kew
    Now I try to print a photo from my desktop,....doesn't print, but shows it in the kew

I then use another button and manually print a test page, ...this works fine. So printer is working fine?

I'm at a lost for the correct solution? I'm am somewhat amazed that it is 'so difficult' to get a HP printer to simple talk with an HP computer??

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't see that model in the Printers part of Control Panel so went to HP and got to this page:
    http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/sit...tte.cachetoken

Looks like there's to types of connections, USB or Ethernet to a Router. Maybe the download for use on a different computer may be a solution, can still be used on your computer. "Download the driver for later use or use on another computer"

Lounger
    Thanks
    I did see that page from HP that you referenced, but I chose to first go the route that was suggested that the Win 7 program should recognize a compatible printer. At first my HP6p printer/driver did not show up on their list, but with a little 'upgrade searching' it did show up, and it downloaded onto my computer automatically (to my knowledge)

So how would I actually know that the full driver software was downloaded? Is there a way I can go to that driver on my computer and verify it is all there?? (I'm not the most computer literate person....ha...ha)

The connections you mention speak of a 'router'? I'm not connecting to a router, but rather the printer. My older printer was, in stock form a parallel port connector, that I converted via an adapter into a USB connection.

I may have to try that "download the driver for later use on another computer" if I find that I don't really have the actual driver already on my computer. But as I said before I went thru the steps they advised, and it appeared to have downloaded the driver. I just need a method to try and verify that.

Thanks
    Actually, since the printer itself has an lpt connection, you need to have an LPT port in device manager. You should have got a driver with the USB cable that would install an LPT port. Once you install the driver, look in Device Manage to see which LPT port is installed (LPT1, LPT2, or LPT3). You may have to plug in the correct LPT number into the HP Printer driver.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So how would I actually know that the full driver software was downloaded?
    If the printer works you have the 'actual driver' necessary. One thing the built-in or Windows Updates may not include is the actual software for things like the scanning but Win7 does have such a function of its own.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    If the printer works you have the 'actual driver' necessary. One thing the built-in or Windows Updates may not include is the actual software for things like the scanning but Win7 does have such a function of its own.
    Actually that is one of the problems,..the printer will NOT print a document or dwg I select, but rather puts in in a queue to be printed.
    Meantime I can manually press a button and print a 'test page' just find.

I have also tried changing the USB cable with a new one, and the parallel-to-USB converter piece as well, since I had a spare new one. So I don't think it is a problem with the connecting cable?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Actually, since the printer itself has an lpt connection, you need to have an LPT port in device manager. You should have got a driver with the USB cable that would install an LPT port. Once you install the driver, look in Device Manage to see which LPT port is installed (LPT1, LPT2, or LPT3). You may have to plug in the correct LPT number into the HP Printer driver.

Jerry
    The device manager indicates I am plugged into LPT1 port. And that is the same port I ran this printer on for a number of years with my XP system.

I have also experimented with attaching into other USB ports on my computer, but that does not work either,...so far.

I did see one thing in those instructions from the HP page about deselecting (or cancelling) the LPT1 port,..then following some other instructions. I will have to try those instructions later when I get home to that printer and computer combination.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved my problem,....and it appears as thought there are a LOT of folks with this problem between 6P printers and Win 7

I found this discussion
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...ng/td-p/217368

...and as I read thru it I picked out 2 simple fixes that I thought I would try out.
    1) on page 2 it mentions, "turning off bi-directional printing at the bottom of the printer properties/ports screen"
    2) on page 2, "problem turned out to be that I was using LPT1 as a port instead of USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB"

Did these 2 operations, and suddenly I got my printer working with my Desktop Win7, 32 bit system.

Now I'm going to try and get it to work with Laptop win7, 64 bit system

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should do exactly the same with the Notebook/Laptop as the HP disc works with both 32-bit and 64-bit, mine did for an Officejet and a Laserjet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beiland View Post
    I solved my problem,....and it appears as thought there are a LOT of folks with this problem between 6P printers and Win 7

I found this discussion
    http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer...ng/td-p/217368

...and as I read thru it I picked out 2 simple fixes that I thought I would try out.
    1) on page 2 it mentions, "turning off bi-directional printing at the bottom of the printer properties/ports screen"
    2) on page 2, "problem turned out to be that I was using LPT1 as a port instead of USB001 (Virtual printer port for USB"

Did these 2 operations, and suddenly I got my printer working with my Desktop Win7, 32 bit system.

Now I'm going to try and get it to work with Laptop win7, 64 bit system
    "Bi-directional printing" was something that you saw back in the days of parallel vs serial printers. "Bi-directional printing" was a feature which was available for parallel printers. Since "LPT1" would be parallel printing, it makes sense that turning off "bi-directional printing" would be appropriate for a non-parallel (i.e. USB) printer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Bi-directional printing", IMHO, was a misnomer. More correctly, the phrase should have always been "Bi-directional communication", i.e. the print (end) device could send - at the very least - status updates to the originating device.

As such... USB is a "Bi-directional communication" protocol (and at much faster communication speeds to serial and parallel, e.g. the original USB protocol in 1996).

Lounger
    Thanks

Now the Scanner

Printer is still working ,.....but I was unable to get my old scanner to work with my new Win7. Its been a reall good simple scanner, but I guess it is just 'over the hill' in its compatibility with the new system. There was one page on the internet that seemed to be indicating it might work, but when it came down to details, it did not appear to do so.

The scanner was a Visioneer 5800 USB, One Touch
    http://support.visioneer.com/products/5800/default.asp

http://landing.driverrestore.com/en/problems.jsp?brand=Visioneer&family=OneTouch&model =5800&cc=us&subid=P6A516577&kid=019b0400-d486-bf88-0b2d-000069fd0460

It would store scanned images in a file system referred to by the suffice .max
    How do I now go and retrieve those 'max' files and save them in another readable form??

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google Search found some pages about converting the .max formatted files:
    https://www.google.com/search?noj=1&....0.Fx8LhSdMHaE