Thread: Question

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question

Last Thursday a program went woefully wrong due to my ignorance in using it, and I lost one or two files in just about every program I had. It also affected Windows Pro 8.1 so it would not repair the damage. I lost Internet connection and regardless of what I did, I could not get it back. So, I reinstalled Windows 8 and slowly began reinstalling my programs. I named the computer with my middle and last name. During the course of installing Office 365 I was asked to pick out an ID and password. I used my middle name only. This was transferred over to my login, which I discovered when I started it again. The problem I have is that the computer begins showing my middle and last name. What the login wants is my middle name only. Since password works with my middle name only, I have to hit OK which brings up the login with my middle name only and I then have to reenter the password. On the file tree it shows my middle name only with Document and etc. under it AND also my middle and last name with Document and etc. under it. I'd like to delete the first ID that pops up by removing the middle and last name but I am afraid if I do, that this will present more problems than it will solve. If anyone understands my ramblings and can give me advise, I would appreciate it. I'm gun shy after the fiasco I've been through and do not want to go through reloading everything again.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It is quite simple to rename your computer, although I don't recommend that you ever use your last name on it, as you've already learned.

Change your computer name

How to rename user account in Windows 8
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, the article you gave me to read did the job. Quite simple when you know what buttons to push.