Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Zorkoff View Post
    Firefox released version 29 at the end of April. It has a new User Interface which will probably mess up what ever customizations you have defined in version 28 or earlier.

However, there is a new Add-On called Classic Theme Restorer (which is only available for version 29 or later) that allows you to change the User Interface almost completely back to the version 28 look and feel.

There is another Add-On called Classic Toolbar Buttons which allows some great customizations.

With both of these Add-Ons, read the information on the Mozilla Add-On Website carefully to find all the tweaks to help make the new version comfortable to use. On my Firefox, I now have colored tabs on the bottom of the toolbar, some new icons that look real nice and a combined stop/reload button, just to name a few tweaks.

Mozilla claims some security improvements in 29 and it does seem a little snappier (subjective observation).
    All I have to say is this:
    1. If I wanted something that looked like Chrome, I'd be using Chrome.
    2. It is sad that you need to have an AddOn for something that was already there in the previous version.
    3. FF is the new MS of the open platform: They think they make it better with every version, while, in reality, they screw it up.
    4. Typical developer mentality: "We know what is good for you because we designed it and we cannot be wrong"
    5. As far as their claim for the security improvements, I do not see how changing the UI can improve security.

FF was the browser of my choice but now it is not.

Thanks
    I use Waterfox v28 on my 64-bit machines (available at SourceForge.net). It uses the same themes and add-ons as Firefox. I tried FF 29 on my 32-bit machine, and reverted to 28 post haste!!! Hasn't Mozilla been taken over by another outfit? The attempt to look like Chrome sounds like a conspiracy by Google to eliminate competition.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I couldn't have said it better myself johngaz! Way to go. Hopefully there will be enough of a hue and cry to Mozilla to correct the mess they've created.

Change without reason or control is the ideology of a cancer cell.
    Forget youth, what the world needs is a fountain of smart.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I couldn't have said it better myself johngaz! Way to go. Hopefully there will be enough of a hue and cry to Mozilla to correct the mess they've created.

Change without reason or control is the ideology of a cancer cell.
    Two comments:

1. My version was updated to 29 because I had to reset FF to default to solve an issue, then forgot to change my security/update settings.

However I like 29 and can set it like I want, so I guess I'm not that "territory conscious" and don't use the nitty-gritty stuff.

2. Your sig, "Forget youth, what the world needs is a fountain of smart." proves the truth of "Youth is wasted on the young."

Lounger
    Thanks

If you don't want to hassle with Firefox v29...

I went along with the Firefox update to v29 and immediately was appalled (by many changes but especially) by the "tabs on top", which I found really hard to use. My immediate solution was to go back to v28, which all y'all can do here: http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=14431

Interestingly enough, my brother did the same update (we're both using XP Pro), and his v29 looked just like his v28. Even more interesting, the new interface is apparently called Australis, and is seen by the Mozilla folks as the GTSSB (Greatest Thing Since Sliced Bread). Maybe they are just selectively rolling it out, since another brother hasn't yet gotten the invitation to update. Hmmmmm...

With the "fixes" listed in this forum, maybe I'll go on to v29, but I'll certainly keep v28 in reserve...

BTW, Pale Moon does not support RoboForm, which is why I didn't go to PM.

Last edited by lanshark; 2014-05-17 at 15:18.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post
    I went along with the Firefox update to v29 and immediately was appalled (by many changes but especially) by the "tabs on top", which I found really hard to use. My immediate solution was to go back to v28, which all y'all can do here: http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php?old_firefox=14431
    <snip>
    If you go to the Mozilla FTP site, you can download any version you want.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
    If you go to the Mozilla FTP site, you can download any version you want.
    Be prepared for attempted forced upgrades in the not too distant future: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/FAmU7SeLoJ8

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Be prepared for attempted forced upgrades in the not too distant future: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/FAmU7SeLoJ8
    I quote from the same article:

What about user preferences?
    We will continue to respect the user update preference: if the user has
    updates completely disabled in preferences, we will not prompt for
    updates at all. If manual-apply is chosen, we will nag but not
    force-install the update. All evidence shows that most users haven't
    changed the default update preferences.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    With the new FF 29, I no longer have "Morning Coffee" which opened my preferred site in tabs across the top of my screen. Really, Really miss that add-on. Any other add-on that will do the same?
    Richard Spring

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSpring View Post
    With the new FF 29, I no longer have "Morning Coffee" which opened my preferred site in tabs across the top of my screen. Really, Really miss that add-on. Any other add-on that will do the same?
    There's a fix for Morning Coffee for FF29 here.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank YOU Tonyl........

With one click to your link and my "Morning Coffee" is once more installed.
    In the senior computer class I teach I tell them this lounge is one of the BEST tools in your belt.

Thank you again
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lanshark View Post

With the "fixes" listed in this forum, maybe I'll go on to v29, but I'll certainly keep v28 in reserve...

Since there are significant security issues patched in FF 29, going back to FF 28 is probably not the safest alternative.
    -- Bob Primak --

Lounger
    Thanks
    Please excuse me for asking this question, but are there REALLY that many new threats created to warrant a whole new version of Firefox each and every month? Geesh, this is Firefox, not MS IE. My reason for going with FF was because IE was being attacked so much. Then, like Microsoft, Mozilla apparently decides they need to change the program UI adding insult to injury. From what I've read in this forum in this case, apparently a LOT of needless headaches are involved too. I'm sticking with 28 for the time being. I don't need the aggravation. End of rant, but comments are very welcome.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 1,045 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Please excuse me for asking this question, but are there REALLY that many new threats created to warrant a whole new version of Firefox each and every month? Geesh, this is Firefox, not MS IE. My reason for going with FF was because IE was being attacked so much. Then, like Microsoft, Mozilla apparently decides they need to change the program UI adding insult to injury. From what I've read in this forum in this case, apparently a LOT of needless headaches are involved too. I'm sticking with 28 for the time being. I don't need the aggravation. End of rant, but comments are very welcome.
    Major browsers change regularly, now. It started with Chrome, Mozilla followed suit and now IE the the one that changes less among the 3. It's just how manufacturers decided it to be.

I don't think I like it too much, especially since some updates break stuff that was working, but I really don't care much. I just accept that browsers change and deal with it as best as I can. Embrace change, that's my motto .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Major browsers change regularly, now. It started with Chrome, Mozilla followed suit and now IE the the one that changes less among the 3. It's just how manufacturers decided it to be.

I don't think I like it too much, especially since some updates break stuff that was working, but I really don't care much. I just accept that browsers change and deal with it as best as I can. Embrace change, that's my motto .
    Thanks for the reply, and I commend you for your patience & fortitude! I, however, do not at all like having to "fix" something (or many things) nearly every time I'm forced to update Firefox or any other browser. If web browsers must be updated every month for security reasons that's fine, but don't cause me unnecessary headaches every time they feel the whim to "new and improve" an already fine piece of software. Then there's the matter of re-educating my wife to the "new" UI. That's really a lot of fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast