Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up a new Windows 8 laptop

A friend just called and told me he has bought a Windows 8 laptop
    --- All he knows is it’s a Toshiba laptop
    --- He would like me to set it up for him.
    --- Even though I have helped some people take care of their Windows 8 problems, I do not have a Windows 8 computer so I do not know it well

My plan is to use the following procedures with minimal configurations
    --- He’s not the type to take things into consideration other just starting it up and using it
    Set up Windows 8 / 8.1
    --- I had recommended he buy an 8.1 system but I won’t know until I get there what he has
    Install MSE
    Complete Windows Updates
    Update to Windows 8.1 or whatever the latest version is before any applications he has if he has Windows 8.0
    Refer The Missing Windows 8.1 Instructional Video and the Windows 8.1 Update video
    Set up Windows 8.x to boot into Desktop.
    ------ This is the only configuration I plan on implementing
    Sign him up for Microsoft account even though I doubt he will use it
    Uninstall Office 365 as I don’t see how having to pay an annual payment will benefit him
    --- His wife does have a Windows 7 laptop from what I understand but that doesn’t justify a 5 license system with an annual fee
    Install any applications he has
    --- I’ll take note of whatever apps could be uninstalled but I doubt he’ll give me the time to do so
    --- From what I understand, the default apps can be uninstalled and if any one of them will be needed later, they can be gotten back from going into Microsoft Store
    --- It’s his decision, but he only paid $390.00 for his new laptop and I suspect his computer should be “cleaned” right up front for best performance as time goes on
    Create a System Repair disc
    I’d like to create an image onto an external drive but he doesn’t want to bother

I’d appreciate comments and recommendations

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 8 doesn't need and can't use MSE; it has Windows Defender, an improved version of MSE.

Windows 8.1 can't create a system repair disc; only a recovery drive on a USB stick.

You could just unpin any unused apps from start rather than uninstall.

Bruce

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    --- All he knows is it’s a Toshiba laptop
    Well that's something. Some of the people I help don't know that much.

I’d like to create an image onto an external drive but he doesn’t want to bother
    This would be a deal breaker for me. When you start rooting around in an operating system things can take a surprising turn. You can probably reinstall Windows 8 from the recovery drive, but depending on what goes wrong, that could be corrupted.

Install MSE
    When you look at the Windows Defender window, you will see that, aside from the Metro appearance, it's just Microsoft Security Essentials renamed. The Home and Update tabs are almost identical, but the History and Settings tabs have been altered slightly.

--- Even though I have helped some people take care of their Windows 8 problems, I do not have a Windows 8 computer so I do not know it well
    You can download The Windows 8.1 Enterprise Evaluation edition from Microsoft, and run it for 90 days in a virtual machine. I have it running on VMware Player, and have 79 days to go.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This blog post here http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...MSDN-Dr-Z-Blog will help you navigate Win 8. I help a friend who has Win 8 and it was invaluable to me. Win 8 still drives me crazy when I help him because I like you don't have it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasjk For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08)

Thanks
    This should get you started...

*You can check to see if he has any reinstall partition or disks, if not, that backup will be especially important.
    IMAGE FIRST-IMAGE AS SOON AS YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON IT.
    *Get the product key with the use of a product key finder if no reinstall partition or disk exists.
    *Perform an OS refresh or reinstall if the laptop has been bought from a private 3rd party.
    Untitled2.jpg
    *If an 8.1 upgrade install is needed, this tut for me is a known and working way to get the ISO for future reinstalls; Windows 8.1 ISO Install Test
    Downloading the update to 8.1 directly if needed: Windows 8.1 Update 1: How to Download it Now
    *Avoid logging on to the computer with a MS account, but DO create a system logon.
    *Note the system's hardware spec and avoid loading it with unnecessary startup or resource intensive background processes.
    390.00 is more likely to be cheap rather than a good deal, his entire user experience will depend upon realistic use of processor power and memory strength.
    Don't overload the system.
    *As others here have said, you don't need MSE, Defender will do fine. Just add MBAM free and a few other low weight AMs;
    Take your pick: AdwCleaner, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Much of the rest you can easily pick up from the "stickies" in the Windows 8 lounge section.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-05-06 at 15:10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08),eikelein (2014-05-08)

Thanks
    Windows 8.1 has 4 hot spots that can be annoying. Moving the cursor to the upper or lower right hand corners causes the Charms bar to pop up. moving the cursor to the upper or lower left corners will show the switch list which allows you to see the latest open Apps and switch between them. These hot spots can easily be accidentally triggered and can be unnerving, To disable these Hotspots, see http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-...n-windows-8-1/

The Charms bar can still be referenced when needed by typing Winkey + C. (Hold the Windows key down and tap C).

Jerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    *As others here have said, you don't need MSE, Defender will do fine. Just add MBAM free and a few other low weight AMs;
    Take your pick: AdwCleaner, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
    I like the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal tool

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc...e-removal.aspx

and Malwarebytes

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Be careful if you do an internet search for them, both sites have imitators that try to trick you into downloading unwanted software.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone
    My plan is to get Windows 8 up and running and then update to 8.1 immediately since it’s just a matter of time before it needs to be done and I’m sure I’ll have more questions later on
    The computer was purchased at Staples
    Windows Defender: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-virus#1TC=t1
    Windows 8.1 can't create a system repair disc; only a recovery drive on a USB stick:
    Unpin unused apps from start rather than uninstall: OK
    Even though he doesn’t understand the value of creating an image onto an external hard drive, I will create one anyway via Windows 8.1 program onto a 1TB external hard I have once the system is installed and the computer is ready for him to use unless he actually doesn’t allow me to do so
    I will be referring to
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...MSDN-Dr-Z-Blog
    Windows 8.1 Update 1: How to Download it Now
    Avoid logging on to the computer with a MS account, but DO create a system logon
    --- That makes sense to me
    MBAM, ADWCleaner, Malwarebytes anti-exploit will be included
    Product key: Will make sure I get it

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    My plan is to get Windows 8 up and running and then update to 8.1 immediately
    Oh no; you better run Windows Update manually until there are no more updates. Experience...
    since it’s just a matter of time
    Since I didn't read if you will bring a prepared USB stick or downlod 8.1 from the store: The download is 3.9GB. Takes time...
    The computer was purchased at Staples
    Likely one of the cheapo 1.0 through 1.9Ghz processors. Updating to 8.1 will take TIME, lots of it. Rather two or three hours than Clint's 20 minutes.
    Even though he doesn’t understand the value of creating an image . . . unless he actually doesn’t allow me to do so
    This triggered me to chime in.
    A friend who doesn't understand the basics (image backup) tells you what not to do?
    If you help him for free (I assume) you do it your way or not at all! What a friend!
    Do it right or don't do it at all.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Eike I'm in agreement with most of your recommendations

"Oh no; you better run Windows Update manually until there are no more updates. Experience"
    --- I believe I mentioned that in my original post: "Complete Windows Updates"

"Since I didn't read if you will bring a prepared USB stick or downlod 8.1 from the store: The download is 3.9GB. Takes time..."
    --- I plan on downloading from the Microsoft Store
    --- I know I mentioned immediately but the intention was to make sure Windows 8 was up and running properly including WU's first
    --- Thanks for the "The download is 3.9GB. Takes time..." information. That's along the lines of what I was wondering about

"Likely one of the cheapo 1.0 through 1.9Ghz processors. Updating to 8.1 will take TIME, lots of it"
    --- You sure know how to read my mind and concerns I'm wondering about

"This triggered me to chime in. A friend who doesn't understand the basics (image backup) tells you what not to do?
    If you help him for free (I assume) you do it your way or not at all! What a friend! Do it right or don't do it at all"
    --- I volunteer at a non-profit organization and help many volunteers along with family & friends to deal with their computers and I do so for "free" only when it's a "quick fix" otherwise I request a fair donation to the organization or free will contribution for my willingness to help them
    --- However it's very common among the people I help to not approve of what should be done especially when more time is involved, purchasing an external hard drive or their being pro-active in what it takes to keep their computers well maintained and secure
    --- On top of that, I've seen many computer shops work that didn't include what I consider should have been included but the computer owner paid a pretty dollar and still ended up with similar problems down the road. I believe this adds to the lack of trust on the computer owners part to make even an informed decision. In fact my friend I’m going to help has been in that scenario the past 2 years with his XP computer
    --- In my case, when I work on someone's computer, I use a text file to record what should have been done but wasn't according to the owner’s decision

I'd like to mention an oversimplified case and I'm sure many others in our forums have had similar experiences
    A lady who had Microsoft Office 2007 Starter on her computer wanted to update to Microsoft Home & Student 2013
    --- I asked her if she had any Word or Excel data to save so she doesn't lose them even though I knew they wouldn't be lost
    --- She answered "Oh don't worry about that, I don't have anything to save" and I recorded her answer and of course gave her a copy
    --- After installing her Microsoft Home & Student 2013, immediately she wants to see if her files are ok
    --- I reminded her of what she said but she just turned a "blind eye" if you know what I mean
    --- Then I showed her the written note but of course she just threw it on the side like "it's my fault, not hers" if her files are lost
    --- Naturally the files were available but she still didn't get the impact of her statement or of how I made sure her files were available
    --- That incident was a no-brainer but the point is too many normal computer computers just don't get it
    --- I don't base it on stupidity though as I remember my roots. Ignorance maybe.
    ------ However she represents a case in which I will not help her again because her ignorance amounts to "blaming"

I had to learn computers the hard way and I had no idea on how to ask the right question when an issue came up and even now I'm only an intermediate user. In fact, since this will my first time to really deal with Windows 8, I know it will be challenging for me but thanks to Windows Secrets I have a high degree of success because of the help available

And as Prescott noted on my comment "All he knows is it’s a Toshiba laptop"
    --- "Well that's something. Some of the people I help don't know that much"
    --- Thanks Prescott that lets me know I'm not alone in dealing with that

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2014-05-09)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    WOW, cmptrgy, Thanks a bunch for this truly revealing and informative reply. Real, heartfelt Thanks, no being facetious at all.
    Maybe you eventually want to let us know how it transpired? TIA
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Red face

Wonderful and helpful thread!
    I would add that I found when I upgraded to 8.1 from 8.0 on my Toshiba that it made me use the MS login password for the login on my laptop! It changed my password on it, and it took me a while to figure out what it had done! It wiped out my login password. In fact this irritated me so much, I went back and installed Windows 8.0 on my cheap Toshiba.

By the way my $399 Toshiba is i3-3120M, 250Gh with 4Gb Ram, 64bit operating system which for the price, I didn't think was too bad! It does not have a touch screen, which is why it was cheaper. I've had it for a year and it is great and does everything I need. Since I am retired I can't afford the latest and greatest!

Also, I love 8.0 and I think when people give it a chance they will too. I set up computers for friends and family and once they figure out where stuff is, they like it too. So much of it is attitude! I tell them the Start screen is just the old start button with all the options on it. You don't have to hold the button down and scroll across to see what programs are there! Who doesn't remember having to go back to start and scroll again because your finger slipped off the mouse?

I always set up the Display with a bigger font (each menu box etc) can be changed to 12 which is much easier to see! Add a picture they like (of the grandkids) and they are off to loving it!
    Cyn

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CynTexas For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)

Thanks
    You can login as local, with your own password. It's just they don't make it too easy to do. There are threads about this. Personally, I think 8 is good, but 8.1 update makes it better for the non touch, desktop oriented user like me.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13),CynTexas (2014-05-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today I got to set up my friend’s new Toshiba laptop. The setup was the easy part, The OS is already Windows 8.1 and according to Windows Updates, they are up to date

Now come the questions

A non-Microsoft account using his yahoo email address was created. That part went ok.
    --- However when trying to access his yahoo email account later on he didn’t know his password or the first of his two secret questions so we couldn’t proceed any further
    --- As a result, I created a new yahoo email account for him and that went fine
    --- How can we change his “unusable” yahoo email account to the new one?

Then there’s the Windows 8.1 update
    --- From what I’ve read that has to be done by June 10, 2014
    --- It appears to me that if I see KB2919355 in his Windows Updates History, the computer has the Windows 8.1 update installed
    --- If that is not the case, what should I do?

Then there’s wireless access
    --- His wife has wireless access on her Windows 7 computer
    --- When I went to connect his computer to their wireless router, it connected automatically without needing the passphrase
    --- Since it was the first attempt to connect wirelessly, I expected to be required to enter the passphrase
    ------ BTW, they do not know what the passphrase is
    --- This concerns me as I have no idea on how their router is set up plus the chances are their wireless access is open within the apartment complex they live at
    --- Am I overly concerned or is this something new?

Thanks
    As far as the wireless access, I would reset their router to factory default, then set it up correctly, with a good passphrase and with WPA-2 encryption. Then go to each computer, delete the original wifi profile, and then reestablish the connection with the router.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-20)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast