New Lounger
    Thanks

Can Small Business Server work as mail server?

Hi all.

A company is planning on having there mails resident on there server so that the distribution of mails will be done on there server. They are currently running on small business server 2012.

Can the small business server do the job or do they need an exchange server in order for that to be possible?

How easy/difficult is it to configure either?

I have a general knowledge about servers.

Pointers will be appreciated or links

thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    I'd normally recommend a separate Exchange server. But, is there a good reason to host the email internally? Setting up, configuring and maintaining an Exchange solution in-house is a big commitment for a small company. Hosted Exchange or Office 365 should be considered. According to Microsoft Window Server Essentials 2012 is supposed to be easy to integrate with Office 365.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, Exchange is no easy task, especially in a small company. If you want the mail hosted internally for security it will not be a cheap option - I would recommend a stand alone Exchange server and suitable backup, and get someone who knows what they're doing to install it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    There are lots of good companies out there who will host your email for you; all you will need is your own domain.

Rackspace.com is a good one to go with. I set up a company with Rackspace hosted email. It was very easy to administer, and Rackspace has excellent 24/7 technical support.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Although everyone tries very hard to scare you into paying that monthly subscription for hosted exchange, it is really not all that difficult to host exchange yourself. Once it is up and running, it mostly runs just fine and does not require a lot of maintenance.
    But..
    SBS 2012 does not include exchange anymore. SBS2012 is really just 2012 essentials.
    But there is nothing stopping you from installing it.. except perhaps good sense.
    MS does not recommend exchange on a domain controller, but again, if you really want to do it, it will work. Make sure you have a robust server with lots of memory.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archi...ssentials.aspx