Thread: Bing Bing Bing

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bing Bing Bing

Who the hell does Microsoft think they are. How do I get rid of bing in my new downloads notifications. My mother is 87 and she can't remember what she should do when she sees the downloads so I have to keep uninstalling them.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, both the Bing bar and Bing desktop updates keep coming back with every release. When Microsoft updates the product version it will show up again thus requiring the new version to be hidden. I don't know a way around this permanently. You could turn off automatic updates and remotely access the PC to do the updates yourself.

Joe

Thanks
    For me, even when hidden the Bing (and SilverLight) installation attempts via Windows Update come back rather more frequently than every release!
    I treat them with a complete ignoral.
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got rid of myne by Hiding from updates, and removing from explorer, cant remember how. If a new user is created, the default update choices might appear again in system, so you have to hide again etc.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have hidden those f*****ing things more than a dozen times. Same user. They just won't hide. They don't want them to.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have hidden Bing Desktop and Bing Toolbar several times each.

I just went to Windows Update and checked, and sure enough Bing Desktop v1.3.1 is listed as an optional update.

I think the fact that it has a version number is probably significant to this problem. It looks like every time they have a new version, they return it to the list. If you could get to them to ask, they would probably try to argue that listing new versions is not the same as un-hiding previous versions.

But they would be wrong.