New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 8.1 Update 1 still not offered in automatic Windows Update

For the last three weeks I've been checking daily for Windows Updates. I live in New Zealand. So far my laptop with Win 8.1, which is set to receive and install updates automatically has not been offered the 8.1 Update that everybody is raving about.

The MS page says the update will start on April 9 or whatever day it was and will then be rolled out in the following weeks. How many weeks do I need to wait? I really want to get this as a normal update and don't want to go down the manual path.

Anyone else down under who still has not received it via the automatic update?

Administrator
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    teylyn, you need to contact Microsoft Communities about this - you should be getting updates regularly on Windows Defender, and an update for Adobe Flash Player which is built into Windows Internet Explorer 10 and 11 has also been issued since Update 1. Not a good situation - go to your Microsoft Account and check Microsoft Communities threads.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oklajohn View Post
    teylyn, you need to contact Microsoft Communities about this - you should be getting updates regularly on Windows Defender, and an update for Adobe Flash Player which is built into Windows Internet Explorer 10 and 11 has also been issued since Update 1. Not a good situation - go to your Microsoft Account and check Microsoft Communities threads.
    He didn't say he'd failed to receive any other updates.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - didn't read closely enough - however. Microsoft Communities has dozens of post about the Update 1 - probably can help him.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by teylyn View Post
    For the last three weeks I've been checking daily for Windows Updates. I live in New Zealand. So far my laptop with Win 8.1, which is set to receive and install updates automatically has not been offered the 8.1 Update that everybody is raving about.

The MS page says the update will start on April 9 or whatever day it was and will then be rolled out in the following weeks. How many weeks do I need to wait? I really want to get this as a normal update and don't want to go down the manual path.

Anyone else down under who still has not received it via the automatic update?
    teylyn

When you have Windows Updates set to automatically download and install updates, there is usually no indication that it has been done. It does it quietly in the background. How did you determine that it had not been done?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.

KB2919442 has installed around April-11. A few other updates (Defender, etc) were installed in the last two weeks. Yesterday, a Flash update came through (I assume that is a patch for the latest IE scare).

So, yes I am getting updates.

How did you determine that it had not been done?
    Well, for once, I cannot see the KB number in the list of installed updates. I looked into both the Metro and the Desktop (i.e. Control panel) update history.
    Second, (since I read that this is the only sure way to tell): the Metro interface does not have a magnifying glass next to my name.
    Third, I think I would have noticed a 3 GB download coming in over my internet connection. Such a download would take a few hours with my connection speed.

I'll take a look in the MS Community forums.

cheers,

teylyn

(who is not a "he")
    Microsoft MVP Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is the update offered up but not checked? If so they are still throttling it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The sure way to tell is to check your installed updates. Look for KB2919355 or search for it in the search bar. Go to Control Panel | Programs | Programs and features | View Installed Updates.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    Is the update offered up but not checked? If so they are still throttling it.
    Windows tells me that there are no updates to install at the moment. When I checked for updates, I always went through the metro interface. But even then, I'd expect it to arrive some time soon, no?

Susan, when you say they are throttling, does that mean they are holding it back from being distributed? And should I wait or install manually?

Joe, I did check there. No KB2919355 anywhere.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    teylyn

Windows tells me that there are no updates to install at the moment. When I checked for updates, I always went through the metro interface. But even then, I'd expect it to arrive some time soon, no?
    When you open the "Windows Update" window, do you just check to see what it says is available in the right pane, or do you click on "Check for updates" in the left pane?

KB2919355 is dependent on other updates before it can be installed. Have you refused any updates, that it might be dependent on?

Lounger
    Thanks
    After 10 years on XP, I recently got a DELL XPS-8700 with Win8.1.

As configured by DELL, it was set for automatic update/installation. A page full of updates soon appeared under Windows Update (Charm-Search-Update), but not installed. A few days ago, when I went to shut-down (yes, I shut down every night out of force of habit), Windows said to wait, it was installing 3 updates. Next day, there was a long list of updates not installed. Then yesterday, the rest of the updates installed themselves. As suggested above, I checked for KB2919442 and it was installed. But, KB2919355 was still not listed as a downloaded update. I rationalized that Microsoft was doing a contolled-rollout, gaining experience from the early installs. Why be a pioneer?

Today when I checked, KB2919355 was now listed, but not installed, and there was a note saying that the installation was pending.

I have taken note about the potential problem that if you have deleted Win8 OEM folders or moved folders around, that you may have an installation failure. Fortunately, I have only added folders, but not deleted or moved any.

We shall see if KB2919355 installs itself without a problem.

So far, my Win8.1 experience has been painless, so long as OCD doesn't kick-in and I just poke about and use the Search function to find what I'm looking for. This behavior is like torture for those of us who feel that they have to be in total control. Might be like someone used-to working on a Model-T, left on a 5 year cruise and came back to cars with semi-automatic transmissions, starters and a mind of their own.

Paul

update: Windows update (KB2919355) updated and installed itself, all by itself, but only after installing all of the prior updates. ABSOLUTELY NO GLITCHES.
    Last edited by PointFive; 2014-05-12 at 11:48. Reason: update

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Today when I checked, KB2919355 was now listed, but not installed, and there was a note saying that the installation was pending.
    This would probably be a good time to make an image. Now, before Windows tries to install the update.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

PointFive (2014-05-07)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Too late. When I went to shut down, there were new choices:
    1) Install updates and restart.
    2) Shut down and install updates at a later date.
    I took option #1 and I am responding on the UPDATED Win8.1 (magnifying glass next to User Logo in upper right screen. Restart booted to desktop, not Start page.
    Glad I waited Of course, this is a new pc which came with Win8.1, so there is little if any corruption attributable to prior Win versions.
    Thanks to all of the helpful information.
    Paul