Thanks

How can I make a specific BCD see a specific boot.ini for XP?

I have a multi-boot setup with Win98, Win2K, WinXP, Win7 and some Linux distros installed across four hard drives (2 PATA and 2 SATA), and I boot my machine via Grub4Dos from an USB stick so that each of my four drives can boot whatever I might have installed anywhere without my ever having to be dependent upon any single OS (bootloader) in order to boot my machine. Then to avoid having to repeat my menu selection made in Grub4Dos during machine startup, I have one BCD that bypasses its menu and goes directly to Win7, another BCD to do the same for Linux (a Linux menu), and then yet another BCD to bypass the Win7 menu and go directly to XP.

Question: How can I make the BCD in my XP partition see (or point to) the boot.ini file in the XP partition rather than the default boot.ini in "C:"?

I have tried using bcdedit to "/store \q:\boot\bcd /set {default} /device partition=q:" and it reported a successful completion, but that BCD in "Q:" still shows {bootmgr} in device "C:". Also, I had previously already set the {ntldr} device in that BCD to "Q:", but now I need to do more (or something different) since that was not enough to make this specific BCD go to the boot.ini in "Q:".

Many thanks for any help here!
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2014-05-08 at 10:27.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have Win98, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and you installed them in that order, each one will know about it's predecessor and you will end up with a working BCD multi-boot system. as soon as you try to install a linux distro, it is going to want to trash your BCD system and install GRUB. I believe it is possible, but it is hard to do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prescott View Post
    If you have Win98, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and you installed them in that order, each one will know about it's predecessor and you will end up with a working BCD multi-boot system. as soon as you try to install a linux distro, it is going to want to trash your BCD system and install GRUB. I believe it is possible, but it is hard to do.
    Yes, it certainly was...but I now have that all sorted out. Other than the matter of installing Windows systems in-order so each will add the previous to its own loader, the key to all of that is to tell all Linux distros to install their loaders in their own partitions (sda# or whatever and never a beginning boot sector such as sda) unless you want that specific drive (such as my last system drive, a SATA) to boot from GRUB or whatever else Linux might want to use there. But I think my deal right now might be something like Grub4Dos needing to re-arrange (re-map) my drives prior to sending my system to a drive my BIOS does not know and report as "C:" (in Windows terms). Since first posting here this morning, I temporarily disconnected my PATA drives (first and second in my system) and used Easy BCD to re-install Win7's loader on each of three partitions on my first SATA drive so I can boot from any of the three and land at a unique BCD pointed toward a unique boot.ini for XP on that same partition, but each of those BCDs still end up leading back to the boot.ini file at system "C:" after the PATAs are re-connected. So, it looks like I might have to take this question to a Grub4Dos mapping expert!
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2014-05-08 at 15:52.