New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel Cannot Complete This Task With Available Resources

Hello,

I am running into a problem where I am maxing out my excel calculations and will sometimes receive an error talking about how excel cannot complete the calculations due to system resources not being available. I am running a fairly basic spreadsheet that uses multiple arrays in combination with VLOOKUPs and MODEs.

I am running on:
    Intel i7-4800MQ @ 2.7
    32 gb RAM
    64-bit Windows 7 Enterprise

I have concluded that the problem most likely stems from my microsoft office version being a 32-bit program instead of the 64 bit. My limited knowledge tells me that the 32-bit limits the amount of memory that excel can access when running calculations which substantially slows down my calculation process and sometimes gives me the above error.

So my main questions are:
    1) Am I correct in my conclusion?
    2) Is there a way to increase excels calculation speed (ie: decrease ram used in calculations or increase ram available for calculations) without upgrading to a 64 bit version of microsoft office? Could I structure my arrays differently to reduce usage, etc.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Although this article is fairly basic, it is a good diagnostic to set you off in the right direction:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2779852

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    iirc, i kind of had this problem a long time ago, and i got in this forum thus suggestion which solved my problem, then:
    if you have several workbooks open, and this alert comes when trying to open another one, try equalizing the view size of all; say to 100% or 85%, whichever but have ALL of them same value.
    i recall i did that, and since then, before closing a file i always standardize 100% view,
    the message did not come again.
    good luck.