Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help

New Lounger
    Thanks

Help

I just have one working ethernet cable by ISP, and i
    want to connect my laptop as well as wireless router
    simultaneously with that one ethernet cable( in
    which internet is working). How can i do that?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Darpan,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

All you should have to do is to connect your cable to the WAN port (usually a different color) of your wireless router. Most wireless routers also have about 4 wired ports so you only need a RJ-45 Ethernet patch cable to connect your router to your computer or you can connect your computer wirelessly (although you'll need a cable to configure the wireless settings on the router first). You should have received instructions with the router on how to do this. If you don't have those you can search online for your router brand model number and usually download a PDF with the instructions. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Why not just connect to the wireless router with the laptop wirelessly?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    We need to know a few things before giving you definitive advice.
    1. Do you have a router/modem connected to your ISP and what model is it?
    2. What is the model of the wireless router you have?
    OK, it was only 2 things.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I am planning to buy a router from below two
    http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-m...RD8FNGAPAKBDPC

http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-w...=start&q=wr740

And I hav got male ethernet pin by my ISP, through which I should use Internet..
    So as which router I should buy?
    And give advice seperately if I choose the TP-LINK TL-MR3020

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Darpan,

Welcome to the Lounge as a New Poster!

All you should have to do is to connect your cable to the WAN port (usually a different color) of your wireless router. Most wireless routers also have about 4 wired ports so you only need a RJ-45 Ethernet patch cable to connect your router to your computer or you can connect your computer wirelessly (although you'll need a cable to configure the wireless settings on the router first). You should have received instructions with the router on how to do this. If you don't have those you can search online for your router brand model number and usually download a PDF with the instructions. HTH
    But what if I just get only a single WAN port on my router and no other LAN port, just like in this router

And there are some issues with my wifi drivers so sometimes I face problem connecting my laptop to a wireless network. And thinking for a long term if I need to connect any pc with my router mentioned in link, then what will I do then?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "I just have one working ethernet cable by ISP, and I want to connect my laptop as well as wireless router simultaneously with that one ethernet cable( in which internet is working). How can i do that?"

You are interested in acquiring a wireless router
    --- The present Ethernet cable you have would be connected from the ISP router to your wireless router
    --- You could then try to set up your wireless/laptop connection

However, as recommended, a 2nd Ethernet cable should be connected from the new wireless router to the laptop for the "to configure the wireless settings on the router first", after which time you can then remove the 2nd Ethernet cable
    --- It's been a long time since I've purchased a wireless router, but when you research on which wireless router you are going to select, see if an Ethernet cable is included
    --- If not, see if you can borrow one from a friend
    ------ In my experience, I've met a lot of people who have Ethernet cables just hanging around

And make sure Windows Updates are up to date for network adapter & router updates

I just noticed "And there are some issues with my wifi drivers so sometimes I face problem connecting my laptop to a wireless network"
    --- Are the network adapter & router updates up to date?
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2014-05-22 at 15:49.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I buy anything electrical, I always Google for official reviews and then find it on an Amazon site for the customer reviews which tend to tell you a lot more about the product.

When deciding which router to buy, consider one that would be future proof for your possible needs that your budget will allow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Darpan1041 (2014-05-22)

Thanks
    you only need a RJ-45 Ethernet patch cable to connect your router to your computer
    RG I often use the phrase patch cable when I mean a crossover cable.
    Just trying to avoid confusion for a networking newbie.

Thanks
    Wavy,

I did mean a PATCH cable (all wires straight through) as the router will handle the connections properly. You only need a CROSSOVER cable when working w/o a router machine to machine.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But what if I just get only a single WAN port on my
    router and "no other LAN" port, just like in this
    router

And there are some issues with my wifi drivers so
    sometimes I face problem connecting my laptop to
    a wireless network. And thinking for a long term if
    I need to connect any pc with my router mentioned
    in link, then what will I do then?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That unit you posted looks ok but it doesn't have only a WAN port, it does have one LAN port
    --- What is the purpose of not wanting any LAN ports?

Since you have problems connecting wirelessly, do you have an idea of what's wrong?
    --- The next time you have a wireless connection issue, contact your ISP
    --- How will adding in another wireless router help?
    --- If the wireless in your laptop is defective you could consider a wireless USB adapter

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps Darpan1041 could explain the set up a little better.

I'm under the impression that just a modem is plugged into the wall and that is wired to the computer.

To add a wireless router to that, a second Ethernet cable will be needed either to run the computer wired or to set up wireless.

If the connection currently remains stable when wired, then a wireless connectivity problem will not be ISP related.

This could be a driver problem in which case, updating/reinstalling the driver could resolve but it could also be caused by local interference or from other users.

I think more info is required as to which WiFi connections are being attempted and how if currently no router.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Perhaps Darpan1041 could explain the set up a little better.

I'm under the impression that just a modem is plugged into the wall and that is wired to the computer.

To add a wireless router to that, a second Ethernet cable will be needed either to run the computer wired or to set up wireless.

If the connection currently remains stable when wired, then a wireless connectivity problem will not be ISP related.

This could be a driver problem in which case, updating/reinstalling the driver could resolve but it could also be caused by local interference or from other users.

I think more info is required as to which WiFi connections are being attempted and how if currently no router.
    Forget everything, let me give my topic a head start
    M planning to buy a router in which there is only one WAN port(where i will connect my ISP's ethernet cable) , and no other LAN port. Now if i want to connect a pc (forget Laptop) to internet via LAN cable(to ethernet port dat comes in CPU @ back side) how can I??? ( as i hav connected my ISP's ethernet male to router's female WAN..)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You will need a router that has more than just one port so that you can connect wall socket to modem to router to computer using an additional Ethernet cable, which may or not come with a new router.

Ethernet cables are relatively cheap to buy and if your pc LAN is 10/100/1000 (Gigabyte) then get CAT6 Ethernet cables of which you can use one to replace the ISP one, as they tend not to supply the best of quality.

I use a 2m CAT6 flat cable when I wire up my laptop to the modem/router, although my LAN is just Fast Ethernet (10/100).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast