Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry After service ended: "Updates are ready for your computer"

I am receiving an "Updates are ready for your computer" notification on my XP PC, but support ended some time ago. The last two updates I installed before support ended performed very valuable services; causing ominous pop-ups to display every time I restart my system, and turning the MSE castle red. (OK, MAYBE the updates did other, more worthwhile things, too. I really don't know.)

What is this new update going to do? Make 'warning siren' sounds play through my speakers? Change my cursor to a 'skull & crossbones'? Will it cripple or sabotage Windows XP in some new way? Will all legal copies of Windows XP cease to be 'Genuine Windows' any more? I've been burned by Microsoft before. Maybe that's to be expected since I have been using various of their products for the past 30 years. Accidents happen. Mistakes are made. However, I still don't trust Microsoft!

Sign me 'The Cynic'

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Microsoft released a fix for IE8 on XP. If you have other Microsoft products that are still supported the updates could be for that too.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JNygren View Post
    I am receiving an "Updates are ready for your computer" notification on my XP PC, but support ended some time ago. The last two updates I installed before support ended performed very valuable services; causing ominous pop-ups to display every time I restart my system, and turning the MSE castle red. (OK, MAYBE the updates did other, more worthwhile things, too. I really don't know.)

What is this new update going to do? Make 'warning siren' sounds play through my speakers? Change my cursor to a 'skull & crossbones'? Will it cripple or sabotage Windows XP in some new way? Will all legal copies of Windows XP cease to be 'Genuine Windows' any more? I've been burned by Microsoft before. Maybe that's to be expected since I have been using various of their products for the past 30 years. Accidents happen. Mistakes are made. However, I still don't trust Microsoft!

Sign me 'The Cynic'
    For your problems with the terminal version of MSE, see:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Notifications

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just disable Windows update?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't believe how many people think that, on April 8th, their XP machines would blow up or a big boxing glove would come out of the screen and punch them on the nose.

MS stopped support for XP. But if they want to still issue an update, guess what? They will....just do it. And it's not Windows Update any more. It's Microsoft Update. If they have (say) MS Office installed, they'll get updates for that too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran an update on an XP machine the other day, and in addition to the IE8 fix I also received the May version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool. I believe there will also be updates for MSE for a while, possibly other products as well, so don't disable Windows Update on XP just yet.

Thanks
    And it's not Windows Update any more. It's Microsoft Update.
    Maybe it's because I'm running Win7, but my Control Panel shows "Windows Update".
    Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSS3rd View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm running Win7, but my Control Panel shows "Windows Update".
    That's because it's for updating Windows - what else would it be called? But if you try to go to a site called Windows Update, you'll get taken to Microsoft Update, because that's what it is now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyl
    ...if you try to go to a site called Windows Update, you'll get taken to Microsoft Update, because that's what it is now.
    Not on my computer ... I don't deny that there's something called Microsoft Update, but I can type either windowsupdate.com or microsoftupdate.com in my browser's address window, and it opens the same Windows Update screen that opens when I click "Windows Update" in Control Panel.

In fact, I seem to be unable to get to any site called Microsoft Update. The closest I can get is to a button on the Microsoft Download Center site labeled "Microsoft Update". But, when I click it, it opens the previously mentioned Windows Update screen.
    Jim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is also called Windows Update on my Windows 8.0 system and on the Windows Update screen it states

You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Backup all your files, reinstall Xp, and make sure Windows update is off right from the getgo. If you don't like the later versions of Windows, then there's no need for miniature later versions, right? The only updates you really need are the kind you get automatically and behind the scenes with a subscription to a first rate antivirus company.
    Last edited by anonymous_windowssecrets; 2014-05-15 at 23:47.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JSS3rd View Post
    <snip>
    In fact, I seem to be unable to get to any site called Microsoft Update.
    That's interesting. Where does this take you?

Thanks
    To the Windows Update screen accessed from Control Panel.
    Jim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I'd mention I'm still getting updates - just got the latest MSRT and also several for MS Office. I did think of turning Auto Updates off, but I think I'll leave it on.

Thanks
    For a time, Microsoft was pushing everyone from "Windows" updates to "Microsoft" updates. But it has been several years since I have seen "Microsoft" updates. Seems that it is back to being "Windows" updates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast