5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Content Controls Word 2013 Start/End

I'm trying to think of a real-world situation where there would be a benefit of showing Start/End tags for a Control Control. The tags do delineate the control, but they aren't very attractive, and they do print with the document. I've written a macro that reverts to the classic Bounding Box appearance, but that affects pagination. I read that showing Start/End tags is useful for nested controls, but only the Start tag of a nested control displays the name: the End tag is just a stub. In my opinion, this would be confusing for a Word user.

I'd love it if there were an option to shade all CC's as we have been able to do with Word field codes. It would be more useful if the Start tag served as a label, but the text of the tag is vertically misaligned with the document text, and as a label there would be no need for an End tag.

Is my imagination failing me in terms of useful applications for Start/End tags?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Here's one possible use:

1. Create a table
    2. Select the table
    3. Insert a Rich Text CC

Compare this to:
    1. Create a Rich Text CC
    2. Insert a table into the CC
    3. Delete the empty paragraph within the CC that's before the table (you can't delete the one after it).

4. Protect both content controls against deletion.

Compare where the tags are - the first method has the start tag outside the table but the end one is inside it, but the second method has both tags outside the table. In this (somewhat esoteric) case, knowing where the tags are might be useful because, with the first CC, they can serve as an indicator that the table cannot be deleted, whilst with the second CC the table can be deleted.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you; that's a good illustration and reminded me of the benefits of using the 2nd example. In both cases, however, the (unattractive) tags print, either in the first and last cells of the table, or before and after the table. I agree that's a helpful on-screen visual... but it serves no purpose in the printed document.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardbarrett View Post
    I agree that's a helpful on-screen visual... but it serves no purpose in the printed document.
    Unless that document's being used as a training aid on the use of content controls ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]