Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 64 USB speed problem

Details of my pc.

Motherboard: Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    Model M2N-MX (CPU 1)
    Chipset Vendor NVIDIA
    Chipset: nVidia nForce 6100-405/430
    Chipset Model MCP61
    Chipset Revision A2
    Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
    Southbridge Model MCP61
    Southbridge Revision A2
    System Temperature 32 C

BIOS: Brand American Megatrends Inc.
    Version 0406
    Date 15/01/2007

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+

Recently, I had inserted a external drive (I have two of the same externals, one is always plugged in) and it wouldn't find the right driver (which is strange, like I said, I have two of the same drives LOL), anyways.. on to what I have done...
    Someone told me to uninstall all USB in device manager, and let windows reboot and it should fix the problem.
    Well ever since then I have had anything plugging in pretty much telling me "device can perform faster", which I NEVER had at all ever before on this PC.
    I have OpenHCD and Enhanced.
    I would like to disable OpenHCD so everything MUST use the enhanced (which is 2.0)
    I found this thread, and thought I would give it a go
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-USB-1-1-ports

I tried the option there... disabling legacy support... and well booted up, PC then told me it needed to run start up repair etc. So I closed down, started up, into bios again and enabled legacy, booted fine.

I have tried updating my bios. But mobo doesn't have ezyflash, and not recognize afudos and having it on flash drive, and pressing alt + f2, I get "cable not connected" on monitor. and nothing else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
    1.1 speeds is killing me... 3 hrs or more to transfer a 1gb file... is making pull my hair out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r3b3lw0lf View Post
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-USB-1-1-ports

I tried the option there... disabling legacy support... and well booted up, PC then told me it needed to run start up repair etc. So I closed down, started up, into bios again and enabled legacy, booted fine.
    Have you also looked into this?
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post932683

I have never done that myself, but it seems to be what solved the other guy's problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leejosepho For This Useful Post:

r3b3lw0lf (2014-05-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I know which hub and such is what, and what goes where... been hunting a fair bit and looking a fair bit.
    Sometimes the external shows with the other ones, on the enhanced.
    Othertimes it goes on the openhcd, and then I get the "your device can perform faster"
    http://prntscr.com/3hwl1r <=-- thats what I see when it happens

I would like to know how to force them onto the other SPARE bold ports... but have no idea how to.

I have tried to "disable" the actual openhcd AND usb root hub itself
    http://prntscr.com/3hwlnf
    BUT, its greyed out..
    am kinda lost with this stuff.

Thanks
    I have tried updating my bios. But mobo doesn't have ezyflash, and not recognize afudos and having it on flash drive, and pressing alt + f2, I get "cable not connected" on monitor. and nothing else.
    The Asus site for the M2N-MX mainboard shows your BIOS is really out of date (and that the latest supported OS is Vista 32/64bit). I was actually looking for a chipset driver for Win 7 x64 but no Win 7 drivers/utilities are available there. I checked the Nvidia site but, again, the latest chipset driver for the Nvidia 430/6100 is for Vista 32/64bit.

nvidia.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Just a thought... the mainboard manual shows that Asus EZ Flash is only available when the mainboard is connected to VGA/RGB output. I don't suppose you've added a graphics card to the PCI Express x16 slot and are using that instead of the onboard VGA port (hence "cable not connected" on monitor)?

Alternatively, do you have the mainboard support CD? If so, try using the Asus Update utility to update the BIOS from within Windows (and re-install any chipset driver if it supports Win 7 x64).

Does your USB configuration in the BIOS look this:
    asus-USB.jpg
    Click to enlarge

If the controller mode is set to Full Speed instead of HiSpeed then you'll only 12 Mbps (similar to USB 1.1), not 480 Mbps.

I'm not too sure what else to suggest as you have already tried un-installing the USB ports and hubs then re-booting... which usually fixes this type of issue.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...Language=en-us
    That there has the win7 drivers...
    and also...
    http://support.asus.com/download.asp...&m=Tools&os=17
    http://prntscr.com/3i2xk8

BUT, when I try to install for eg the ATK and update it....
    The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

The installation of this device is forbidden by system policy. Contact your system administrator.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.
    I don't have the mainboard cd no, as I got this PC secondhand, and then added psu out of old pc, and soundcard and gfx card.

4fxcEurD.png

I have been told to go into bios and turn ezyflash 2 on (cos it not support afudos), and will this is my bios view as it is now...
    VMDdqm84.jpeg

"I don't suppose you've added a graphics card to the PCI Express x16 slot and are using that instead of the onboard VGA port (hence "cable not connected" on monitor)?"
    Yeah, am using hdmi to my monitor.
    You think if I get a old vga to vga and plug it from mobo to pc, that should allow me to update bios?

I still have the M2NX0907.ROM renamed to 0907.ROM (For any BIOS update I wouldn't go any higher then M2NX0907, there is one newer bios for that board but only adds support for some newer CPU's and if you don't have an issue with CPU warnings then I would avoid that one like the plague as it adds a function that will not allow you to revert back to an older BIOS.)

So change to vga to vga. Put the usb in, restart press alt+f2 and bios should start updating.
    Is there a way to save this one?

Thanx for the help guys.

What really has me stumped is... it was all working fine and dandy, until I was told to remove all the usb stuff from device manager.. that means without bios update etc- which scares the crap outta me LOL)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by r3b3lw0lf
    This link to the Asus Support site shows a link to Nforce drivers for Win 7 x64. Did you use this to download and install the Nforce driver, leading to this screenshot?
    If so then the last line in the screenshot shows successful installation of a chipset driver (nVidia nForce 610i, which I assume is another name for the 6100-405/430).

The link also shows a link to ASUS Update but the link appears broken. However, see below.

This link is to drivers for Windows XP. If you change the dropdown from WinXP to Windows 7 64-bit then the display shows no drivers (but does show ASUS Update V7.18.02 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7 so you could use this to update the BIOS from within Windows).

BUT, when I try to install for eg the ATK and update it....
    I'm not sure what ATK is but it looks like a virtual device and the link is for power management (ATK ACPI) so I'm not clear why you would want to try and install it.

I have been told to go into bios and turn ezyflash 2 on (cos it not support afudos), and will this is my bios view as it is now...
    VMDdqm84.jpeg
    Click on the Advanced tab (in the BIOS) then select USB Configuration and post a screenshot.

"I don't suppose you've added a graphics card to the PCI Express x16 slot and are using that instead of the onboard VGA port (hence "cable not connected" on monitor)?"
    Yeah, am using hdmi to my monitor.
    You think if I get a old vga to vga and plug it from mobo to pc, that should allow me to update bios?
    Yes, this may work if you have a floppy disk drive... but see my comment about downloading ASUS Update V7.18.02 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7 to update the BIOS from within Windows.

So change to vga to vga. Put the usb in, restart press alt+f2 and bios should start updating.
    Is there a way to save this one?
    The manual for your mainboard (see Version E3548 - M2N-MX user's manual(English)) shows that the built-in EZ Flash BIOS utility expects the new BIOS to be on a floppy disk, not a USB stick. The ASUS Update utility (section 2.1.5) works from within Windows and allows you to save the current version of the BIOS.

What really has me stumped is... it was all working fine and dandy, until I was told to remove all the usb stuff from device manager.. that means without bios update etc- which scares the crap outta me LOL)
    This IS the usual way of resolving these types of issues and may be worth doing again after we've checked that the USB configuration in the BIOS is correct and that there are no issues in Device Manager.

To summarise, I think the best way to proceed is:
    1. Check current USB Configuration in the BIOS (Advanced tab > USB Configuration) and post screenshot.
    2. Download and install ASUS Update (but only if you're determined to be able to update the BIOS).
    3. Post a screenshot of all devices in Device Manager, expanding the USB section.

Hope this helps...

Lounger
    Thanks
    Usb configuration is good.
    1.1 enabled
    legacy 1.1 enabled
    2.0 usb enabled
    and the speed is hispeed (not full speed)
    ASUS Update V7.18.02 for Windows 32/64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista& 32/64bit 7 <=-- am trying that now

if you're determined to be able to update the BIOS <=-- what im determined to do... is to get everything running on my 2 speed usb... NOT 1 speed (never happened before)_, so bios, drivers etc shouldn't have to be redownloaded and installed etc. and its also a fresh install, but still not help LOL)
    1msdABr.png
    Like that you mean?

zH5FqBn.png
    EFT 3 images are the OpenHCD 1.0 controller (8 ports available) the right 3 are the 2.0 (with 7 ports available)
    I can attach mates drive to the USB on mobo at the back, and it goes LEFT, for 1 speed. I remove it, plug another drive in, it goes right side. but it alternates.

Also this image...
    PHAezZub.png

But this, from HWiNFO32 shows something weird, that doesn't show in device manager OR speccy...
    3aEun5b.png
    The samsung drive, is actually a Iomega drive. but yeah, see the yellow ! mark there? its not in device manager at all...

==============

This link to the Asus Support site shows a link to Nforce drivers for Win 7 x64. Did you use this to download and install the Nforce driver, leading to this screenshot?
    No, driver genius is where the screenshot is from., with the fails... so I had to find manually (and then still couldn't install)

PROGRESS.
    bios is now updated thank you

But that doesn't solve my usb issue...
    Last edited by r3b3lw0lf; 2014-05-10 at 23:06. Reason: more info

Thanks
    You have chipset drivers installed; you've successfully updated the BIOS (so that rules out corrupt settings); you've confirmed that USB Configuration in the BIOS is set correctly (i.e. set to HiSpeed) and Device Manager doesn't show any issues with any USB root hubs and host controllers. You said that the problem became worse after following advice to remove the USB devices (root hubs and host controllers) in Device Manager.

I can't think of anything else to do except a) remove the settings history of your USB connected devices then, if that doesn't work, b) un-install the root hubs and host controllers from Device Manager and re-boot.

a) remove the settings history of your USB connected devices:
    1. Read page 1 of this Techspot article and carry out steps 1-6.

If this doesn't correct the situation then:
    b) un-install the root hubs and host controllers from Device Manager
    1. Make sure you are using a PS/2 mouse and keyboard.
    2. Unplug any USB-connected devices.
    3. Uninstall the USB root hubs then USB host controllers from within Device Manager.
    4. Reboot.

You might see this dialog for a while. If it goes on more than a couple of minutes, just click on the Close button and go into Device Manager.
    usb.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Let us know how you get on when you re-attach your external USB drives.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-11 at 01:08.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Alright... downloaded and moved.
    I know with XP you could use ps2 as same time as USB.
    So I plugged a, surprised a found one ps2 mouse into slot... I get lights, but no mouse movements.
    So I rebooted pc... maybe it needed to "register" or something...
    I got this error...
    agpWII6E.jpeg
    I hit f1... goes into bios, I hit esc, don't save changes and it boots up.
    That could just be a thing about saving?

Anyways, with this ps2 thing. What if I have none? Or I have, but they not get recognized?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

so I restarted, hit f1, went into bios. f10, saved and exited. booted up (woot) and well, unplugged keyboard put it in ps/2 slot with adapter.. but nope, still not pick up.

http://prntscr.com/3i5qeg
    ==> If, instead, you get an error message like Command not recognized it means you didn't move Drivecleanup.exe to the right directory
    http://prntscr.com/3i5qid

http://prntscr.com/3i5qui
    DriveCleanup.exe file name

http://prntscr.com/3i5r1g but in system32 ... nothing is there?

I am at a loss now... it tells me it is THERE, when I try to paste it in there. BUT, tells me that error... looking IN the folder, it isn't there at all to be found.

Well I thought "fk it" and ran it from where I could see it..
    http://prntscr.com/3i5tci
    http://prntscr.com/3i5tg3

rebooting now.

Plugged drives in one by one... and is exactly the same.
    3 externals on the mobo, show up as normal, on enhanced.

Plug new drive in... and BOOM. straight to the OpenHCD with the 1 speed... and that is in the FOURTH usb port on the mobo... right next to the other three.

Explain that one for me please LOL

*confused and dazed and bald now*
    Last edited by r3b3lw0lf; 2014-05-11 at 03:41. Reason: more info

Thanks
    From the BIOS screenshot it appears the BIOS correctly identified the first 3 mass storage devices as USB 2-capable and mounted them as HiSpeed (i.e. using EHCI). However, immediately after mounting the second Seagate drive the BIOS corrupted (CMOS checksum bad) so you had to correct this. (If it happens again, try using F2 so the default values are used and you can continue.)

Just in case it's an issue with one of the Seagate drives (failing drive controller?), you need to do several tests of booting with different mass storage devices (looks like you have a wide selection) to see if there is a 'mix' of devices which always causes a CMOS checksum bad condition then try to narrow it down to the one particular drive (probably one of the Seagate's) which is the culprit.

For example, use:
    Pass 1
    My Passport external drive
    Toshiba USB3 external drive
    Seagate Expansion Desk 1 external drive

Pass 2
    My Passport external drive
    Toshiba USB3 external drive
    Seagate Expansion Desk 2 external drive

Another thing to try is to use something like Speccy (which I know you already use) or HDTune to check the health status (S.M.A.R.T.).

As you already know, there's something weird going on with your PC. If you look at the http://prntscr.com/3i5tg3 screenshot, you'll see at the bottom that the registry information was identified but not removed.
    drivecleanup.jpg
    Click to enlarge
    If you ran DriveCleanup.exe from an elevated command prompt then it looks like there may be a permissions issue in the registry because the information under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SB and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBSTOR was not deleted.

To check, you can do the same by using Nir Sofer's USBDeview. Download the x64-bit version, unzip it, right-click on usbdeview.exe and choose Run as administrator.

When USBDeview opens:
    1. Scroll to the right and drag the USB Version column far to the left so you can see it.
    2. Remove your external mass storage devices. USBDeview should show them change to disconnected.
    3. Press CTRL+F7 to display the root hubs. Your Options should look like this:
      usbdeview-options.jpg
      Click to enlarge
    4. Select all the disconnected mass storage devices (especially any marked as using USB 1.10) and use File > Uninstall Selected Devices.
      usb1.jpg
      Click to enlarge
    5. If you are using a mouse connected using PS/2, select the USB Root Hubs and use File > Uninstall Selected Devices. (Don't do this if you are using a USB mouse 'cos you won't be able to shut down using the mouse.)
    6. Shutdown.
    7. Re-attach 3 mass storage devices (Western Digital My Passport external drive, Toshiba USB3 external drive and another Western Digital external drive).
    8. Restart PC and watch for signs of BIOS corruption.
    9. Report back with results.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Will come back and edit this post and report after this... but will say the "CMOS checksum bad" only appeared after the bios upgrade.
    If you ran DriveCleanup.exe from an elevated command prompt then it looks like there may be a permissions issue in the registry
    If you re-read my post, you will see that I couldn't.
    I extracted the zip. I moved to system32, and cmd (as admin) told me it wasn't a internal or external command" so I went looking for it IN the system32, couldn't see it at all. So went to drag it in again, and was told that it was there and to overwrite it. After I over wrote it, I STILL couldn't see it in system32, so I ran it from folder on the desktop. Which then opened it.
    =====

Alright... not sure if good thing or not.. when I upgraded bios, and it was getting cmos checksum bad after it, and I had to press f1 or f2, and I did f1, went into bios, and then f10 to save settings... never had the stall again, BUT I its either going too quick to notice it, or it not showing on bootup... the flash screen or whatever... it goes from cursor top right... straight to windows loading up. So I not see any text, except "windows" when starting up. Not sure if good or bad.

7DPnhiY9.png

Not sure why usb keyboard says removed, cos I couldn't and can't remove it, as no ps2 keyboard... so thats strange... and it turned all the NAMED ext hdds into "mass storage" tho while trying to find the drivers, it had the correct name for them...
    USBD3eview shows this now
    uJ5ijQHP.png

I will attqa6ch the toshiba... on the other MOBO usb slot that is free... and see what happens.
    It shows in USBDevices as a 2.10 (it was doing 1.1 from same slot yday.
    Will eject it, and put the Expansion Desk 2.10 Seagate Expansion Desk (I have TWO of these drives. One is on TV, the other is always connected to PC.) and see what happens

ihDMpgLg.png

Okay... that also goes 2.10 (which is good) but it still sees the Toshiba drive.. and what are the other two I have highlighted? "human interface devices"

Plug something in front and the issue not resolved.....
    IOP5NxiC.png

I never ever got the "perform faster" msg, until I uninstalled all the USB devices from device manager when the issue first arose.
    Attachment 38633
    It seems that the drive below, in HWiNFO32 is causing problems? but it is the only place I see it is a issue, device manager shows as fine and all...
    QYZiL5ai.png
    Info from speccy about that certain drive.
    This is interesting... the iomega drive (which shows as samsung)...
    wcmNU5y.png
    Why doesn't it show like all the other devices?

Thanx for the help peoples.
    Last edited by r3b3lw0lf; 2014-05-11 at 18:34.

Thanks
    Your USB-connected system's setup now appears to be sorted, i.e. all mass storage devices are now running at USB 2.0 with the exception of one of your two USB-connected Expansion Desk external drives.

The Western Digital hard disk-based device with serial no. WD-WCAZ6533537 appears to have a problem... so you need to determine whether this is to do with the drive itself, its HD controller or the USB interface providing the link between the drive and your PC. (Post again if you need help with diagnostics on this particular device.)

The rest of the USB sub-system now appears to be fine.

For info, HIDs (Human Interface Devices like USB keyboards and USB mice) will always use USB 1.10 ('cos humans just aren't as fast as computers... except for my daughter txting) instead of USB 2.0 or USB 3.0.

Also, the Iomega device (using a Samsung hard disk) is just using a USB-based ATA/ATAPI bridge controller to connect the device.

It looks like both your BIOS update and USB problems have now been sorted.

As this appears to have been your first topic since joining the forum, I hope this has helped.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-11 at 19:59.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

r3b3lw0lf (2014-05-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, don't mean to be contradictory, but its not sorted.
    I never ever got "this device can perform faster" EVER now I am- I would like to get it BACK to that, so as whatever drive I plug in, it goes to 2.0... not the 1.1 speed crap. Understand, why I am saying the problem is not sorted?
    How it is now, is exactly how it was when I first came here with the problem- nothings changed.

I just plugged usb mouse back in......
    aArSnTAJ.png
    Well as you can see, that is using 2.0...
    "(Human Interface Devices like USB keyboards and USB mice) will always use USB 1.10" <=-- with my pc, its not 1.1 as you can see.

4 USB ports at the back, are on the mobo.
    2 USB ports at the back are old school, that I got from another pc and put in and connected to mobo (that has the keyboard and mouse Logitech K120 combo)
    2 Ports at the front which came with PC.

The BOTTOM usb port at front is dead. The TOP works. How do I know this? I plugged keyboard in bottom one, booted up "No keyboard installed" I plugged it in the top one, and it told me I had a keyboard.

If I plug mouse into the old as usb that I connected, and it goes to 2.0, why doesn't the keyboard right next to it?
    Yet I plug a external drive into front port... it straight away tells me it can perform faster, and to attached it to a spare bold port, on the enhanced USB host controller?

How can I manually get it to do that? To use... the "bold" ports it tells me to connect the drive to (image in previous post).

And with USDBevice... with the ones "not there" anymore, is it safe to delete/ remove them?

(Post again if you need help with diagnostics on this particular device.)

Please, cos I don't know how to diagnose if it is the drive itself, or the controller (It is on the MAIN mobo ports with the other two, and they are fine... so maybe its the drive itself? But again, I see no probs at all, and can transfer at normal speeds.

xEnBG0FL.png
    It says the version is 2.0 BUT it runs slooowwwwww
    Why? *pulls hair out"
    It is plugged into the FRONT top usb port.
    Last edited by r3b3lw0lf; 2014-05-12 at 03:49. Reason: more info

Thanks
    From your screenshot it appears that all mass storage devices (external hard drives) are now connecting using USB 2.

Unusually, your mouse also appears to be connecting using USB 2 (so that's a plus... although IMHO this may be a fault of USBDeview, 'cos I've never known USB mice connect at anything other than USB 1.1... but I could be wrong).

I understand that the front lower USB port (BOTTOM usb port at front) on your PC appears to be dead but the front upper USB port seems OK.

I'm having trouble understanding your latest info, i.e.:
    4 USB ports at the back, are on the mobo.
    2 USB ports at the back are old school, that I got from another pc and put in and connected to mobo (that has the keyboard and mouse Logitech K120 combo)
    2 Ports at the front which came with PC.
    Does this mean:
    4 USB ports at the back are directly connected to the mainboard?
    2 USB ports at the back are connected via a PCI card?
    2 ports at the front of the PC are connected internally (within the PC) to a USB header (one of which appears dead)?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-12 at 04:17.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah... the 4 usb slots are up near the mobo ethernet, onboard gfx etc.
    The two I put in myself... not connected at all via card as such.... I not think...
    LTFGl4O2.png
    The highlighted yellow bit. Its just in a slot, and then connected via usb header (I think thats the word you used)

From your screenshot it appears that all mass storage devices (external hard drives) are now connecting using USB 2.
    So WHY, is it saying "can perform faster by plugging it into the enhanced controller" if it is 2.0? Something is messed there yeah?

ZheQfIZb.png
    Alright, as soon as I USE that mass storage device in the front (that shows as 2.0 in USBDeview, but actually comes up as 1.1), it disconnects mouse, and keyboard, and I have to reboot every time.

Grrrrr.... now im getting drive dropping, then saying unknown, yet I can use ALL drives attached to the pc?
    xVjG3MjH.png

Seems to have gotten WORSE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by r3b3lw0lf; 2014-05-12 at 17:41.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast