5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Must start laptop twice to get Win 8 running

I have an MSI laptop and recently, for some reason, it will not start up when I push the start button the first time. I have to push the button a second time to turn the computer off, wait about 10 to 15 seconds, and then press the button a third time to start it up. This time, it starts normally and runs properly. I don't know if this is a Win 8 problem, or a hardware problem, or some combination of both. I am hoping that someone will be able to help me figure out why this is happening and perhaps suggest a solution to resolve this annoyance. Thanks in advance.

Ron M

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    See if the auto start up repair will do anything for you http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...matic-repair-/

Thanks
    A quick and simple...
    Turn off the laptop as you normally would in Windows, then unplug both the battery and mains power.
    Let it sit for a minute or two, press the reset/power button to ensure all capacitors are discharged, then replace battery and start up as normal.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, neither of them worked; however, I did discover something else and I have no idea why this worked.

I have a WD My Passport 1 Tb portable HD attached to my laptop. It is a USB3 drive and also works in the USB2 port. When I remove the drive from the computer, it starts as it should, on the first try. The HD works okay if it is plugged in after the computer boots. I also have a Buffalo MiniStation 1 Tb drive and when it is plugged in by itself, I have the same problem - computer will not boot on the first try. So, it would appear that the computer does not like to have a HD plugged in when it is starting to boot the first time. The problem/question then becomes - why is this happening and what, if anything, can I do to "correct it" it? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are the USB drivers up-to-date?

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

I've seen posts recommending the "Legacy USB" be changed from whatever setting is in your BIOS.

Joe

Thanks
    Not being able to boot with an external hard drive is plugged in is a common problem. You could try plugging the external drive in and then opening BIOS. See if you can either remove it from the boot order or make it the last choice. Otherwise, I suspect you just will have to disconnect the drive prior to booting. If you use the external drives to hod backups, its a good idea to disconnect it between backup runs anyway to keep it from possible virus attacks and power surges.

Jerry
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-05-13 at 18:37. Reason: fixed typo

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Are the USB drivers up-to-date?

Is your BIOS up-to-date?

I've seen posts recommending the "Legacy USB" be changed from whatever setting is in your BIOS.

Joe
    Thanks Joe. I don't really know if the USB drivers and the BIOS are up-to-date. This is not something I usually worry about, nor do I really know anything about how to find this out. Not sure if this is something I want to get involved in as it would seem to me that you risk "screwing" something up if you start messing with the BIOS. I am open to suggestions though.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Not being able to boot with an external hard drive is plugged in is a common problem. You could try plugging the external drive in and then opening BIOS. See if you can either remove it from the boot order or make it the last choice. Otherwise, I suspect you just will have to disconnect he drive prior to booting. If you use the external drives to hod backups, its a good idea to disconnect it between backup runs anyway to keep it from possible virus attacks and power surges.

Jerry
    Jerry, thanks for the clarification, but this is the first time I have run into this problem and I have been through two laptops with my wife and having HDs plugged in. As well, I had a small netbook running Win 7 and there was no problem with having a HD plugged into it. Maybe you are right, I will just have to put up with it. I do not even know how to begin to open up the BIOS and dig beneath the hood. I suspect my next step will be to contact MSI and see if I can get any satisfaction from them.

Ron M

Thanks
    You might adjust the boot order settings in BIOS to disable USB boot if you are set on having an external drive in place upon start up.
    The manufacturer of your laptop will have specific info on how to get into BIOS via information on their website.

(the tidbit about having an external drive attached to the laptop would have been useful upfront as this behavior is not uncommon)
    Last edited by jwitalka; 2014-05-13 at 18:35. Reason: fixed typo
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    You just reinforced my answer in post 6 Clint. Just stated it better.

Jerry

Thanks
    Also, notebooks tend to be less sophisticated with the BIOS settings they offer than many of the larger laptops BIOS options.
    It may also depend upon specific make/model too.

You may have a laptop that defaults to USB booting, as many notebooks will not.
    You'll just have to boot into BIOS to see what your options are in terms of more advanced settings.

If you have UEFI on your laptop it would be a good idea to look into it as you may need to make changes (disable rapid boot) to even
    effect your boot settings.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You might adjust the boot order settings in BIOS to disable USB boot if you are set on having an external drive in place upon start up.
    The manufacturer of your laptop will have specific info on how to get into BIOS via information on their website.

(the tidbit about having an external drive attached to the laptop would have been useful upfront as this behavior is not uncommon)
    Thanks Clint. I will go and see what the manufacturer has about getting into the BIOS. I would have shared the tidbit about the attached HD, but I was unaware that this behaviour was not uncommon. I am not really set on having an external HD attached for start up, but having it attached just makes life a bit easier. Maybe I will just live with it unattached at start up, as that may be the easiest thing for me to do.

Ron M

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One other question if this hasn't been resolved yet: Do the attached HDs have their own power supplies, or are they being powered by the laptop's USB port? If they don't have a separate power supply, see if there's an option to use one and try it. OR, if that's not an option, try a powered USB hub (one with its own AC power supply).

When you start your laptop, the HD requires a surge of power to get it spinning. In many cases the USB port just doesn't produce the necessary power. This is more of a problem with larger (2TB or more) drives, small but older external HDs, and older computers that don't supply the USB ports as needed.

I've even seen this with HP Proliant servers with 2TB attached external drives. Using a powered hub made all the difference in the world.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    If you find you have an underpowered USB port on a notebook or something, then yes, you'll need to either
    use a powered USB hub, or a powered drive.

Weaker devices like notebooks may not have the power requirements needed to power larger hard drives.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit