Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Microsoft delays Windows 8.1 Update requirement

The deadline is now June 10, 2014. See Windows 8.1 Update Requirement Extended for details.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wonder how this would affect OEM machines not sold until after the deadline ??

Administrator
    Thanks
    I suppose they are in the same boat. Depends on how much inventory they have out. I'd be surprised if they don't move quickly to have Windows 8.1 Update pre-installed since they are supposed to be the first line of support for Windows on their machines.

Joe

Thanks
    I would think that OEM manufacturers would perform this update themselves.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was thinking of the ones that could have been stuck on the shop shelves.

Thanks
    If MS is imposing a time limit on them then they would have to be updated despite being on a shelf.
    Either the brick and mortar store's shelf of the OEM manufacturer's shelf, it shouldn't make any difference.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    @CLiNT,

I'm not aware of any deadline for stock on a shelf. There is no way a retailer is going to try to update something in their inventory. Any OEM these days has very little inventory. Very much a JIT environment. AFAIK, in retail it is up to the end user to ensure that a machine purchased which does not have the update gets the update (KB2919355) installed.

OEMS are supposed to be the first line of support for the version of Windows on their PCs. It is in their best interest to get all the Windows 8.1 machines they are building to be shipped with Windows 8.1 Update installed just to minimize support calls.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a friend who just bought a Windows 8 laptop and he has asked me to set it up for him this coming weekend
    Last August I had set up a Windows 8 desktop for another friend and so I have at least one experience doing so
    However, since I don’t own a Windows 8 computer, I need help on understanding what’s going on at this point
    --- My thinking might be inside out but that’s why I need verification on whether or not I understand what’s going on and how to correct what I might be wrong about

The posted article is for extending the Windows 8.1 update to June 10 by having Windows Updates set to Automatic.
    --- If that doesn’t happen, future updates won’t be received
    --- So is the Windows 8.1 update 8.1.1?
    --- I just want to tell my friends who ask me about, that I’m telling them the facts

Backing up to Windows 8, according to my notes, for those who have Windows 8, they have until Nov 2015 to update to Windows 8.1
    --- Is this true?
    So I suppose when someone does update from Windows 8 to 8.1, they better update the Windows 8.1 update pronto, preferably by Automatic Updates

Thanks
    My understanding is that when you update to 8.1, you get the update as well, what was called Win 8.1 Update by MS and Win 8.1.1 by everyone else.
    This page - http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...lpha=Windows+8 - implies 8 support ends in 2018, but the FAQ for 8 (one of the links in the notes) implies 2016.

Personally, I like 8.1 (Update), but, though I've not had any issues, some have had issues with old software and hardware. SW shouldn't be an issue with your friend (I assume) but what do they have in the way of older scanners or printers etc.?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On my friends computer, once his Windows 8 is up & running ok after completing Windows Updates, I plan on updating to 8.1 before loading anything new into his computer.
    He has a printer (make/model unknown at this time) but when he was using his XP, the printer was connected to his wife's Windows 7 laptop and he would go to her laptop when he wanted to print something
    --- I imagine I could connect and install the printer to his Windows 8 computer and once it's running ok bring it back to his wife's computer and then set the printer to be shared
    --- So by doing all of that upfront, it should be a great way to start him off to an excellent start
    --- Unfortunately they are not very computer literate so I want to keep things as simple as possible
    --- I have my plans on doing my friends computer in another post which I don't recall the title of at this time and I will keep that thread updated as necessary
    --- But my question in regard to Windows 8.1 updates is for ensuring I do have a basic understanding of what's going for anyone else I help out and I think I do now
    --- Thanks again for your response

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think it is the correct approach to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update before loading anything else. That should make the process go easier. Be sure to check the Windows edition by right clicking This PC in File Explorer and selecting Properties. I suspect that most OEM machines should have Windows 8.1 already. Not sure if they are rolling out with Windows 8.1 Update.

If the machine has Windows 8 and NOT 8.1, use the Windows Store to upgrade to Windows 8.1. If the Windows Upgrade is not offered in the Store you need a prerequisite update from Windows Update. When you upgrade via the Store that upgrade should include Windows 8.1 Update.

BTW, the Windows version in "This PC" Properties will say "Windows 8.1" regardless of whether it is 8.1 or 8.1 Update.

Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)

Thanks
    IIRC you know you've got the update if you can pin 'Metro' apps the the taskbar (and indeed, it pins the Store app to it for you - isn't that kind?)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When a manufacturer makes/assembles a computer, they don't assemble the computer, and then install the Operating System, they have a sub-assembly line, where the hard drives are tested, the image is copied onto the hard drive, the copy is verified, then trays of hard drives are transported to the main assembly line and installed in the computers, and at the end of the assembly line they are packed into boxes with whatever manuals, CDs/DVDs, power cords, etc, and then the boxes are sealed and then transported to a shipping area. At that point, I guarantee that no one but the buyer will open that box, ever for any reason.

The image that is written to the hard drive will be up-to-date, and have all the patches from the most recent patch Tuesday (which the OEMs get as RTMs before patch Tuesday), but already assembled computers will not be updated, ever for any reason.

The cost of updating operating systems after the computer has been assembled, would be comparable to the cost of assembling the computer, and the OEMs not only won't do that, they can't do it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)