3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2007 database no longer usable

At the Senior Center I volunteer at (not computer related) they have been using an Access 2007 database implemented by someone at least 5(?) years ago and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. For some reason they cannot get in contact with the person who implemented it for them. I don't know what else they use it for if anything else, but when they plan trips the dispatcher enters a persons name, address & phone number into the trip manifest for the driver to know whom to pick up. When they try to use it a message pops up about the server not available or being accessible and /or about the path isn't correct. Unfortunately when I was trying to get the exact wording, the people involved in trying to figure out what's wrong just kept clicking away on this, that or whatever. Anyway, I'd like to see if I can help them out and I can get the exact message if necessary. But no one knows about any server and all I know is they have a Comcast router. Comcast was contacted and there aren't any issues on their side

Unfortunately I don't know Access yet, but instead of trying to rely on an unavailable person to contact, I don't see why they can't build their own Access database and apply it as a shared file so that the manager and bookkeeper can pull out whatever information they need to account for their activities
    --- Does this make sense?
    Also I suspect an Excel spreadsheet could do the job for them just as well
    --- I am familiar with Excel and could build such a database unless they want something more fancy that I'm not aware of
    So the bottom line is I'd like to see if I can help them out

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    At the Senior Center I volunteer at (not computer related) they have been using an Access 2007 database implemented by someone at least 5(?) years ago and all of a sudden it doesn't work anymore. For some reason they cannot get in contact with the person who implemented it for them. I don't know what else they use it for if anything else, but when they plan trips the dispatcher enters a persons name, address & phone number into the trip manifest for the driver to know whom to pick up. When they try to use it a message pops up about the server not available or being accessible and /or about the path isn't correct. Unfortunately when I was trying to get the exact wording, the people involved in trying to figure out what's wrong just kept clicking away on this, that or whatever. Anyway, I'd like to see if I can help them out and I can get the exact message if necessary. But no one knows about any server and all I know is they have a Comcast router. Comcast was contacted and there aren't any issues on their side

Unfortunately I don't know Access yet, but instead of trying to rely on an unavailable person to contact, I don't see why they can't build their own Access database and apply it as a shared file so that the manager and bookkeeper can pull out whatever information they need to account for their activities
    --- Does this make sense?
    Also I suspect an Excel spreadsheet could do the job for them just as well
    --- I am familiar with Excel and could build such a database unless they want something more fancy that I'm not aware of
    So the bottom line is I'd like to see if I can help them out
    Well as you correctly recognize, you can't really help properly without full details of the configuration and error message(s).

At the very least, you need to know whether their Access database is split between a front end and a back end, or whether they're all trying to open a single file on a network drive.

What type of network do they have?

How do they access the database - via Access itself or via something like a web-based front end / intranet system?

And most importantly of all - get a screenshot of the error message they're getting!! (If you're very lucky and it's a specific error message, you may be able to get to the bottom of the problem by Googling the error message, but Microsoft errors are often too generic for this to help in most cases!!)

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremybarker For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2014-05-13)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just finished talking with one of their office personnel and they plan on creating their own Access database
    At the same time, since they are still using XP computers and don't have an understanding of their Access database, I'm going to stay out of their way
    When people just keep clicking away and don't stop to follow instructions, I just step back
    If they were already using Windows 7 or 8 I would press my point on what needs to be known etc. but until then I'll wait it out
    Sooner or later they will need "professional" help
    Although I'm just a cmptrgy guy I could help them with the right kind of cooperation as I have done at another non-profit organization I volunteer at but I suspect I would refer them to a professional recommendation
    I also asked the office manager to run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
    She said someone has done that but it's a no-go and she though it's because of memory
    They can't afford to but 6 new computers and if the issue is only memory, it's a lot cheaper to buy additional memory vs. new computers
    But I see that thinking all the time; however, I just hope they move on from XP