Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to reset opening IE11 maximized by default? (running 64-bit Win7)

How do I open a link, an icon or anything else on the internet MAXIMIZED by default? It used to be that way, but not any more and I cannot figure out what to do about it. Obviously, I can simply open what I want and then click the "maximize" button in the upper right corner, but why do I now have to do that? How do I reset it to open maximized in the first place as it used to do? PLEASE HELP. :-(

David E. Cann

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not using IE 11 but IE 10 and often find that this happens after updating something that requires a reboot, but having closed IE down from a max window, it will reopen as max.

Had you downloaded anything prior to this happening ?

You could try resetting it to defaults - Tools - Internet options and under the Advanced tab click on Reset - this requires a reboot to effect.

If you check all of the boxes you will have to reinstate your home page, but if that doesn't do it then uninstall it from Installed updates and let it reinstall from Windows Updates.

Do you have an alternate browser such as Firefox to see if its windows do the same ?
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-04 at 03:20.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, please forgive me for saying this, but I very much hesitate considering a complete uninstall/reinstall based on what sounds so much like a guess. I think it is obvious I'm not much of a technical person, and that really scares me. I have a screen shot of what it does, but I cannot find any way of attaching it to this reply, so it may or may not be attached when it arrives, but essentially when clicking on an icon on my desktop for something on the Internet, it always opens in the "restore down" display, and only in the top half of the monitor. Obviously, I can and do click on the "maximize" button, but I should not have to do that each and every time, and until very recently I didn't have to because it all opened maximized by default.
    Briefly, let me reply to your individual questions:
    1. I have not downloaded anything recently that I can recall.
    2. I will reset IE11 to default settings if it is necessary, but I note a caution on the setting cautioning against it unless necessary, such as an unstable IE.
    3. See above re my thoughts on reinstalling, especially for a fairly minor but very annoying issue like this.
    4. I have Firefox installed, but almost never use it, and all of the same icons open normally there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post

Not using IE 11 but IE 10 and often find that this happens after updating something that requires a reboot, but having closed IE down from a max window, it will reopen as max.

Had you downloaded anything prior to this happening ?

You could try resetting it to defaults - Tools - Internet options and under the Advanced tab click on Reset - this requires a reboot to effect.

If you check all of the boxes you will have to reinstate your home page, but if that doesn't do it then uninstall it from Installed updates and let it reinstall from Windows Updates.

Do you have an alternate browser such as Firefox to see if its windows do the same ?
    Last edited by decann; 2014-07-04 at 12:02.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I may have misled you, but this has nothing whatever to do with install programs, as they all work fine. Even opening IE11 itself will get a maximized display on the monitor. It is when I click on a desktop icon that I get the "restore down" display that only displays on the upper portion of the monitor. I can then click the button to maximize it easily enough, but I should not have to do that every single time and until recently I didn't have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I understand you correctly, you have two problems - desktop icons and any link that you click on when using IE, including when IE opens.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say all of the same icons open OK when using Firefox.

For each browser, they don't have to be open to use other program desktop icons.

Resetting IE to defaults won't make it unstable and is a normal 1st step repair procedure when it gets buggy.

There's a couple of things you could try and they are using your restore points back to when they did open up maximized and the other is to run a system file check if your restore points don't do it.

To do this, go Start - type cmd.exe then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the command prompt type sfc /scannow then press enter.

That will take about 15 mins to run and will give its report at the end of the scan.

If you run that, let us know what it reports.

To add your attachment, scroll down below the Reply box where you will see a button for Manage Attachments - click on that then the Browse button so that you can select the saved pic - click on Open then click on Upload and when it has uploaded - Close the window.

Place your cursor in the Reply box then click on the Paperclip symbol next to the smiley in the menu bar above the text area and click on your attachment in the dropdown.

Edit - Cross posting with your last reply.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-04 at 12:54.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I think I may have misled you, but this has nothing whatever to do with install programs, as they all work fine. Even opening IE11 itself will get a maximized display on the monitor. It is when I click on a desktop icon that I get the "restore down" display that only displays on the upper portion of the monitor. I can then click the button to maximize it easily enough, but I should not have to do that every single time and until recently I didn't have to.
    If IE was maximized the last time it was closed, any website links should open in a maximized window. If it wasn't then they won't. (That's the way it has always worked for me.)

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So, what are you saying?? I agree with you 100%, it should, and has always worked for me as well, but it doesn't now when I do the same thing and that is the entire reason for my frustration now. Further, I just a moment ago changed FF to default browser, then did the same thing with the very same desktop icons, and every one of them opened maximized as they should. Upon now returning to IE11 all of the same desktop icons all open in "restore down" size. There has to be a way of fixing this, like some setting being set wrong or some such, but the darned thing worked right last month. . . .and I think I just narrowed it down to somewhere in IE11 itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    If IE was maximized the last time it was closed, any website links should open in a maximized window. If it wasn't then they won't. (That's the way it has always worked for me.)

Bruce

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    IE11 issue.jpgI think I discovered there is a pretty small size requirement for attachments here, but I hope this one goes through for the information of anyone out there. It is what happens with IE11 when I click on any desktop icon using Internet Explorer, and 100% of the time they have to be maximized manually. Changing Firefox to default browser (I never use it normally) first, the same identical icons all open maximized as they used to do over the past 12 or 15 years I've been using it.

David E. Cann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Line 1 above - Only partially correct. If opening IE itself, it opens maximized as it should. Only when IE is default browser do the desktop icons open in "restore down" size (see attachment).
    Line 2 above - Simply put, with IE11 set as default browser the issue with my desktop icons happens 100% of the time (see attachment). Changing Firefox to default will make them all open maximized every single time.
    Line 3 above - I agree, and I very rarely click on any icon with IE already open, and it is not open when this issue occurs because it only happens when I click on desktop icons.
    Line 4 above - I will change the settings to defaults if I have to, but I am not at all comfortable doing so because of the MS warnings and not knowing what optional settings will be lost. I already have a minor but annoying problem, but I don't want to make it worse by changing things that I cannot change back again.
    IE11 issue.jpg
    If I understand you correctly, you have two problems - desktop icons and any link that you click on when using IE, including when IE opens.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say all of the same icons open OK when using Firefox.

For each browser, they don't have to be open to use other program desktop icons.

Resetting IE to defaults won't make it unstable and is a normal 1st step repair procedure when it gets buggy.

There's a couple of things you could try and they are using your restore points back to when they did open up maximized and the other is to run a system file check if your restore points don't do it.

To do this, go Start - type cmd.exe then right click on cmd and select Run as administrator - accept the UAC and at the command prompt type sfc /scannow then press enter.

That will take about 15 mins to run and will give its report at the end of the scan.

If you run that, let us know what it reports.

To add your attachment, scroll down below the Reply box where you will see a button for Manage Attachments - click on that then the Browse button so that you can select the saved pic - click on Open then click on Upload and when it has uploaded - Close the window.

Place your cursor in the Reply box then click on the Paperclip symbol next to the smiley in the menu bar above the text area and click on your attachment in the dropdown.

Edit - Cross posting with your last reply.

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you give us a pic of how it displays when you have FF as the default browser and with the browsers closed.

Do you intend to see if you have any restore points that will take it back to before this started happening or running the sfc /scannow.

The restore points don't affect any personal files but if it takes it back to before any updates, then you will need to reinstall them.

To access the restore points go Start - type restore then click on System Restore - click on Choose a different restore point - Next - and to see all of the restore points, click on Show more restore points.

Click on one that may prove best then click on Scan for affected programs - make a list of these (if any) should you need to reinstall anything and repeat the process should that restore point not do it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15,
    Individual questions answered as follows:
    1. I'm not providing a screen shot from FF, because with FF the same icons that will NOT open maximized with IE any more, DO open maximized with FF and look just like any other maximized webpage.
    2. I just tried it as, and discovered my System Restore will not restore any of the restore points it is accumulating (details below).

Also, I have reset IE11 to default settings as also suggested here previously, and the issue still remains with desktop icons refusing to open maximized, PLUS I now have to figure out AGAIN how to reset all of the personal options I had set over time in IE11. :-(

In a few words, I now have more problems now than I did a few days ago while the original issue with IE still remains, so I am going to hire a professional to come and see if he can come and fix not only the IE problem but now System Restore as well. I've found online all sorts of things that can be done that MIGHT resolve the System Restore problem, but I am not going to even try them by myself because in most cases I have no clue what they are talking about. I have a friend who is a Systems Manager by occupation, and it will cost me some money, but if he can fix it then it will be worth the money.

My thanks to you and everyone else here for your guesses and trying to help with what I thought should have been a pretty basic problem with IE, but this has just not worked out the way I had hoped it would in the beginning. I need some professional help. :-(
    Can you give us a pic of how it displays when you have FF as the default browser and with the browsers closed.

Do you intend to see if you have any restore points that will take it back to before this started happening or running the sfc /scannow.

The restore points don't affect any personal files but if it takes it back to before any updates, then you will need to reinstall them.

To access the restore points go Start - type restore then click on System Restore - click on Choose a different restore point - Next - and to see all of the restore points, click on Show more restore points.

Click on one that may prove best then click on Scan for affected programs - make a list of these (if any) should you need to reinstall anything and repeat the process should that restore point not do it.
    Last edited by decann; 2014-07-05 at 14:32. Reason: Typo corrected

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All of us have had to learn what we know at some point in time and over time, so don't be overwhelmed with this.

The fact that you have restore points is a good sign and the most common reason for them to fail is because of blocking by an AV program.

This can be side stepped by booting up into Safe Mode and redoing the procedure from there.

Tap F8 as you switch on and after minimal drivers have been loaded you will be presented with a number of options.

Use the cursor key to move down to Safe Mode with Networking then press enter.

When the computer has rebooted, it will have a different resolution but you can redo the restore procedure as you've already done and if successful, will reboot into normal mode.

If it still fails then just shut the computer down as normal then reboot for a normal boot.

Give that a go and let us know how you get on, not forgetting to use different restore points.

On re-reading your post, I've noticed there's no mention of the system file check - did you run that ?

BTW - they aren't guesses but steps of elimination.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-05 at 15:50.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay folks, here is the solution (at least with IE11 for Windows 7) to my original problem getting a desktop shortcut to open maximized. No reinstalling IE needed, no resetting IE to default settings called for, no using System Restore required, just follow the following steps to the letter:

Open any desktop shortcut, then open the same shortcut in a new window. Close the first window, resize the second window with the mouse to full screen, then hold your "Control" key down while exiting the resized window via "file" then "exit." Be certain to hold the control key down until the screen has exited. Next time you open any shortcut, it will open maximized.

This does work, because after finding it online I tried it, but you must follow the directions to the letter. It took me two tries for that reason, and now my displays are maximized just as if none of this ever happened. None of the other stuff I was told to try by folks here like reinstalling IE11 and the other things were at all needed.

Now then, I need to get my friend to come over and see if he can figure out why my "System Restore" continues to save restore points but for some reason doesn't restore them any more, but that is a whole different issue.

David E. Cann

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you've found the solution.

As for your restore points not working, the following article may help which includes two suggestions that I've already suggested http://www.thewindowsclub.com/system...orking-windows and may negate the need for your friend to come over.

If using the restore points hadn't been suggested then you wouldn't have known they were not working which could have caused you even greater problems when they would have been the solution - and may still have been in this instance.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-07-05 at 19:47.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast