Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

managing IE Favorites

I have thousands of IE Favorites, fairly well organized into folder groupings. Some of these sub-folders have around 1500 items in them.

Is there a way to "off-load' all these Favorites that I have accumulated over the years out of Favorites, so that I can just move back the ones I use now as I need them and use them?

My concern is that now when I look for something in one of my massive sub-folders it is like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Thanks,
    Dick

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps I should reframe my question above:

Approximately how many IE favorites do you have; and, what do you consider "best practices" for managing them?

Thanks,
    Dick

Thanks
    Hi Dick,
    All i can think of is to start early one morning when you have nothing to do for the remainder of the day, then:-
    Go through your fav's and copy / paste the ones you want into notepad.
    Then backup your IE fav's and store them somewhere safe.
    Delete all IE favs then re add the ones from notepad.

Dozy.gif
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George:
    I would be the male version of your picture above if I did that. But at least it's one way (brute force) to do it.
    Silly me. I was hoping there was a software package or tool to do what I want.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my query.

Best,
    Dick

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well a slightly simpler way would be to back them up to a htm (or html) file (export), and then just go into organize favorites and start deleting unwanted favs.

I'm down to about 12 favorites by the way, I use Chrome though so just typing the first character of a website that's been visited before pops up a short list of "favs." Sure, they're tracking my butt but it also makes the experience super slick! I'd rather have ads targeted at things I'm interested in than say women's hygiene products for instance.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-05-19 at 07:43.

Thanks
    Hi Dick,

I've thought of an easier method but need a image of your setup like this:-

RR.jpg

I would make a full fav backup, then delete all except folder A-F then back up again giving me A-F only.
    Reinstall your full backup, then delete all except folder G-H, then back up again giving me G-H only.
    Repeat for the remainder.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    George:
    Here's my IE Favorites Image:
    Captured_Favorites.PNG
    Dick

Thanks
    To elaborate more on FUN's export suggestion;
    How to Save and Export Internet Explorer Favorites

As to editing and importing the edited html document back into Favorites, you'll just have to try it and see.
    Like Roadrunner says, make certain you have a backup prior to proceeding.

Edting:
    https://www.google.com/#q=edit+htlm+documents
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-05-19 at 21:04.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Hi Dick, all you have to do is as I showed you with mine. BUT you have to remember, if you import any file / folder into IE, it will not overwrite whats already in your favs, you will get duplicates. FF uses file extention .json and it overwrites them.

Thanks
    And, keep in mind the ones you haven't used in years will be needed soon after you delete them!
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions.
    Dick

Thanks
    You can have a "Favorites" folder located anywhere you wish, then tell Windows which folder to use (or just let it continue using its usual one). So, maybe do this:

1) Use Windows Explorer to copy your entire "Favorites" folder to any location of your own choosing;
    2) Delete everything inside your current "Favorites" folder;
    3) Add the backup copy of "Favorites" to your Task Bar as a "new Toolbar";
    4) Use that new Toolbar whenever you wish, then also "add to Favorites" (the one IE is using) any link you want available in the regular IE Menu Bar or Favorites Bar.
    Last edited by leejosepho; 2014-05-20 at 06:39.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to leejosepho For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2014-05-20)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lee:
    Thank you. I tried what you suggested, and it's just what I needed. I can now add just what I need to my "real" IE Favorites. Now I won't have to bang my head against my monitor.
    Dick

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am surprised that Fred Langa did not propose the simple and obvious thing I do in Chrome, but is applicable to IE and all other browsers. Just shorten the fave/bookmark/whatever label to the minimum number of characters/arconym which will identify the bookmark for you. I currently have 20 bookmarks on my Chrome bar, all very easy to identify (especially when you add the icon displayed with each bookmark label). In addition, the first 15 or so bookmarks on the "extras" list which appears when the small right arrow is clicked are similarly minimalized, and are easily dragged into the displayed bar area if you find yourself frequently using a particular bookmark. No hidden tricks for a particular browser, just get smaller!
    Last edited by Bob Spafford; 2014-06-06 at 11:07.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bob:
    I might not have been clear in what I am trying to accomplish. I have over 5K Favorites accumulated over the years. I have them in multiple folders, but I still find it tedious to search for a particular one. I was looking for a better way to search/organize/ find things in my Favorites.
    Dick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast