Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    This FREE app StylePix is much like Photoshop.... and there is a portable version too - always a plus in my books

http://hornil.com/en/downloads/stylepix/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My Image Editor of choice is PhotoFiltre( http://photofiltre.free.fr/ ). It's free and available in a portable edition and has an easy learning curve (not unlike the old PSP that I used for years.) Version 7 h as layers capabilities and there are a bunch of plugins avaialble for it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to griesner For This Useful Post:

zimmerlip (2014-05-22)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Paint Shop Pro 7.04 and Serif's Draw Plus 7.0. There are things I can do, or know how to do, in one and not the other.

I sometimes do something in one of them, save the work, open it in the other program and do something else. I tried a later version of Draw Plus but discovered that they had made changes which necessitated another, albeit short, learning curve. No thank you. It was despatched to the big recycle bin in the sky.

I also have IrfanView and Gimp. The latter allows me to do something else which I find unstisfactory in Paint Shop Pro or DrawPlus.

Corel has gone the way of other companies, messing about with a perfectly good program, making it too complicated for its own good and increasing the price beyond the reach of many. Adobe did the same with Cool Edit.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting thread. I trained on PhotoShop back in ver 3 and have kept using it as it's quite familiar. A little depressing to see CS2 free now. (laughs) Worth learning in my books.

PSP should be able to run in Win7. I would NOT copy registry keys from one OS to another. That can mess you up. You may need to experiment with Compatibility Mode, Admin permission, and copying drivers (as one mentioned) if it throws an error message.
    Here's Microsoft on it - a couple of versions have recommended actions:
    http://tinyurl.com/oevpbg9
    (the original URL was 3 lines)

GIMP is free but it's a bear and full of weird bugs and extra steps. As mentioned, Help is lame.
    Picasa is simple but careful - it will edit your originals and does some things automatically without asking.
    IrfanView I've tried twice but found it buggy.
    People may also find the reviews here useful - all freeware.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/pc/image-tools.html

Myself, aside from PhotoShop, I use
    - Pixie for quick colour selection
    - XnView's XNShell quick view, etc
    - Resize Pictures for quick right-click decent resizing for emailing, etc. (I do it properly in PhotoShop for quality)
    I used to have a whole batch of programs I used for different things, as some describe but Photoshop now handles most of it.

And if your main thing is processing scans - PhotoShop is fantastic for that. You can set up standard processing (auto-levels, dust & scratch removal, unsharp mask) as an Action and cover hundreds of photos quite quickly. There is a learning curve but a good reference book and you'll get to know a good workhorse over time. And free? Bonus.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidFB For This Useful Post:

Rob100 (2014-06-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding your requirement that an image editor "Can talk to a scanner with a 32-bit driver" doesn't the scanner itself create and save an image file which you can then work on with your image editor? Or, am i missing something?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another one that I have been using is ChaSys Draw IES. Not as daunting as GIMP or Photoshop, but still pretty complete with features. He comes out with updates often and it's free.
    http://www.jpchacha.com/chasysdraw/index.php

tbneff

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using Paintshop Pro since it was created by JASC. I can't even remember the versions, but now I have the Corel PaintShop Pro X6, which I believe is the latest version. PSP has always been slow to start up, but once running I don't find it to be slow at all. Some of its features, using layers, are rather difficult to learn from the help files. JASC used to provide a really magnificent printed manual, but those days are gone! I was able to purchase "Photo Restoration and Retouching Using Corel PaintShop Pro X4" for $40, and you might find this to be quite helpful. When I recently purchased a new camera (a Panasonic DMC FZ200) and began using RAW files, I was disappointed with the PaintShop Pro X6 "Camera Raw Lab" capabilities. This caused me to purchase Adobe Lightroom 5, which has extremely helpful features for organizing and managing photo libraries containing thousands of files. Also, its RAW processing features are extremely powerful for correcting all manner of exposure and color balance problems. However its Clone brush tool is not as good as that provided by Paintshop Pro. So I still use PSP for a variety of photo editing functions. Lightroom is king for photo organization, management and correction. It support for nested keyword tags is fantastic. It also supports collections and other organizational mechanisms.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Haven't seen it mentioned, but free is the best. And GIMP fits that category, providing about all the functionality of Photoshop.

Go to This Address

Thanks
    Bravo, greisner! Another Photofiltre user! I have Photoshop Pro 7 and ImageReady on my computer, and I always go by default to Photofiltre 7 to do the majority of my basic tasks. It's fast loading, has an easy learning curve (my 8-year-old granddaughter has become quite a whiz with it on her account) and that wide range of plug-ins, including the ability to use Photoshop filters, makes it very handy. Loading Photoshop requires one to sit there for almost a minute reading the names from the Adobe phone book while one's computer thinks about whether or not to let you use it. Photoshop's a great product with a terrible learning curve and less-than-intuitive interface, and Photofiltre lets me be editing (and frequently done with) a photo by the time Photoshop loads.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is an interesting thread and I don't know if my thoughts will change anything, but here goes.

I do a wide variety (but limited quantity) of photo imaging tasks from making albums to editing images for professional and personal use as illustrations.

Here is what I use:

(1) For quick image manipulation for blog posts and emails, I do the tweaking in PaintDotNet ( www.getpaint.net )

(2) For processing and cataloging my lifetime of photos (I'm over 60) I use Adobe Lightroom. It is feature rich and intuitive and is a non-destructive editing system. I find it best for taking already good images and polishing them as well as sometimes rescuing images.

(3) For detailed work on images I do have a subscription to Photoshop CC ($10 / month, gives me Lightroom, too) and I really like it -- best Photoshop yet. I'm glad I did not let my anger with Adobe's changing the rulebook get the better of me. The photographer's bundle (which may no longer be available to new subscribers, I don't know, it was supposed to be limited time) of $10/month gives me PhotoShop and Lightroom and I can install them on two machines. I'll keep updating my stand-alone LR so that I can have that on my laptop as well. I think I have PSCS5 on my laptop and won't put PSCC on it. I actually find that I'm using PSCC more than Paint.Net these days for things I used to use Paint.net for.

(4) When I was peeved at Adobe for going strictly to cloud-based software distribution licensing, I looked at a variety of other packages. I found The GIMP quite opaque and not intuitive as a PS user. Contrast that with Paint.Net which I found totally intuitive.

(5) A decade ago, I got PaintShopPro because it was allegedly able to do some task better than PhotoShop and I was grossly disappointed...I have not attempted to install it under Win 7 and don't even know if I have the disks anymore.

(6) As someone else mentioned, PS CS2 is available for free and it is competent.

(7) I have not tried the French program, but from what others have said it sounds like it is worth trying.

(8) For scanning, I have enjoyed using the manufacturer-supplied applications that came with my Nikon Coolscan 5000ED and Epson V700. I tolerate the scanning software for my other scanners, but do not generally scan to the image editing software.

(9) Here is the story of our family scanning project with more details should anyone care:
    http://richardhess.com/notes/2013/08...-of-archiving/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    zimmerlip said:
    "Loading Photoshop requires one to sit there for almost a minute reading the names from the Adobe phone book while one's computer thinks about whether or not to let you use it."

May i encourage you to consider adding an SSD to your system? Prices have come down a lot, and Photoshop will load within a few seconds and applying multi-layered edits will be similarly rapid. Right now you can get a current generation PNY Optima 240GB SSD for $89.99 or a 120GB model for $59.99. You'll be editing at the speed of light in, well, no time!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Be very careful of the paint.net site. The download installed several malware programs, one I'm still trying to remove.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for clearing that up Jerry and for posting the link.
    Now I'm a New Lounger instead of a Lurker.
    LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations!

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Irfanview would be #1 choice. I have used this since the Year Dot when I've needed to do something quickly. It is also great at batch editing too. It used to fit on a floppy disk! Still works a treat although Picasa offers most of what I need and makes for efficient online co-ordination. Serif PhotoPlus is inexpensive (I get a free education copy) and very easy to learn if you need lots of extra features.

I haven't added links as someone may have already covered these but the thread looks complicated further down so I stopped scrolling. All simple enough to find though. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast