Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I notice that several members have copied PSP on windows 7 from XP and simply copyied and pasted the registry entry over. This is a totally new concept to me as I previously thought the registry could not be tamperd with let alone be copied from different versions of windows.

Can anyone offer advice on this?

Thanks in advance
    Rob
    Last edited by Rob100; 2014-05-28 at 04:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rob,

I am not a registry expert, but since the registry is made up of simple key/value statements, if they had not changed between versions, the keys and values can be copied. It makes sense that the vast majority of keys and related values would not change (why do extra work).

So, yes, you can add items manually to the registry using the regedit command, but unless you know what you are doing, you can do damage.

You cannot copy the complete registry across versions of Windows--or anywhere, as I understand it, because it contains machine and OS version related information. But, there is a huge difference between the entire registry and individual keys.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rlhess For This Useful Post:

Rob100 (2014-06-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cool Irfanview

I needed a quick, free, easy-to-use, photo editor 7 or 8 years ago & found Irfanview (www.irfanview.com), the most popular graphics editor on CNET (download.cnet.com/IrfanView/). The author ( Irfan Skiljan) is a great programmer, & he regularly updates Irfanview to work with new versions of Windows, yet still maintains full compatibility with older versions of Windows (98, NT, ME, 2000, & up).

He also adds new features often, but never makes big changes that screw up or eliminate prior features. All changes are incremental, & "old" ways of doing things always work on new releases. The only thing missing (from the list in the first post here) is flood fills, but if my memory is correct, a basic version of that was introduced in a recent release. The one major thing missing (but not in that list) is layering; it's just not part of the architecture (yet?).

I've tried several other editors, using them for the occasions when I need a few advanced features, but Irfanview is my go-to photo editor. It's amazingly easy to learn, with an intuitively obvious command/menu structure and loads of photo editing features. It's also FAST & compact, supporting a huge number of graphics formats (some require plug-ins, also available for free from his website).

Finally, here's a synopsis of the latest release from the website:
    IrfanView is a fast and compact image viewer/converter. It is trying to be simple for beginners and powerful for professionals. It supports file formats and features. Features include: multi-language support, Thumbnail option, Painting, slideshow, toolbar skins, fast directory browsing, batch conversion/editing, multipage editing, file search, change color depth, scanning, cut/crop, IPTC edit, capturing, lossless JPG operations, effects, watermark image option, ICC support, EXE/SCR creating, many hotkeys, command line options and plugins.

What's new in this version: Version 4.37 adds new features for Resample, Animated GIFs, Photoshop Effects and plugin updates.
    Last edited by sffrog; 2014-05-30 at 05:28.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyshinz View Post
    This FREE app StylePix is much like Photoshop.... and there is a portable version too - always a plus in my books

http://hornil.com/en/downloads/stylepix/
    I downloaded Stylepix Portable free version and tried it. (The paid Pro version is not portable.)
    Resizing by dragging corners does not work. Width sizing does not work. Only vertical sizing works. (My OS: Win7x64, 8G Dram)
    Almost all of the functions/filtering/editing are disabled. Hence, unable to evaluate.
    Trial version is not provided.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

Rob100 (2014-06-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At the risk of sounding Neanderthal, I use Microsoft Image Composer version 1.5 every day, which I think dates back to 1998. It does everything the original poster listed as desired capabilities. And it runs just fine on Windows 8. The trick is finding it. Microsoft gave it away with Frontpage 98. If you can find someone with a Frontpage 98 disk, Image Composer requires no product key. You just install, and it works. And, yes, modest learning curve. No, you don't have to install Frontpage. It is a stand-alone.

Lounger
    Thanks
    paint.net? Confession, I didn't read everything above...the thread looks terribly long.
    Erin Walsh,
    Director of PR-Boost Software
    www.boostsoftware.com

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinWalsh View Post
    paint.net? Confession, I didn't read everything above...the thread looks terribly long.
    Ya, it's been mentioned at least twice, including post #2.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad to see so much praise for Irfanview, and here’s another fan. I started using it 4-5 years ago at the recommendation of a much more accomplished photographer co-worker, and so far no need for much else. Certainly fills the “quick to load” requirement – it’s instant. Most of my work is resizing, and it does that superbly, plus more. There are tools that I haven’t even explored yet, but one of these days…

I’d add that if you get a Nikon camera, the ViewNX software that comes along is very good, feature-rich, but crashes occasionally in my use.

Sure, it would be “great” to acquire and learn Photoshop, likely one of the “training wheel’ versions. But for now Irfanview easily does the job.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been using PSP Pro X3 for a few years now and like it pretty well. I am no way versed in all that it will do, but I can do what I want easily. I had V6 and then V8 when it was JASC. I scan a lot of stuff, both text and pictures and get good results. I haven't mastered splicing 2 together which I would like to do, but haven't taken the time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StanStr View Post
    Take a look at IrfanView (at irfanview.com). Like someone above said, it's free, small, fast, rock solid, will do everything you're asking. It is very nicely behaved and won't tax your system.

It is an excellent photo viewer - hit the space bar and it will flip through all the photos or graphics in that directory (JPGs, PNGs, GIFs, BMPs and more). You can use it to adjust brightness, contrast, color balance, color depth, resolution, and canvas size and more. Flood fills too. It will resize, resample, change canvas size. It will display a histogram. It will decrease color depth. It will reduce red-eye. It will do custom fine rotation to two decimal points of a degree of rotation. It accepts many Adobe plug-ins. It will capture screen shots. You can paste any image or part of any image into any other, but you have to define the area it goes to as opposed to beibg able to move it around. The list is seemingly endless.

It has editing tools similar to Windows Paint. It also can receive as well as edit images directly from a scanner.

Some of the interface is a bit klutzy, and it has a somewhat steep learning curve, but it is very popular and if you can't figure out how to accomplish what you want google will help. The author, Irfan Skiljan, will also reply to your emailed questions.

Make sure you download and install the add-ons after you install the program.
    A very nice feature of Irfanview (with the addins installed) is that you can easily shrink the size of an image. For example, if you take high-resolution snapshots, they could be 2 or 3 megabytes each. Irfanview will allow you to shrink them way down, to less then 500 K each, without much if any noticeable difference in picture quality. When you are attaching images to an email, this can be critical.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    A very nice feature of Irfanview (with the addins installed) is that you can easily shrink the size of an image. For example, if you take high-resolution snapshots, they could be 2 or 3 megabytes each. Irfanview will allow you to shrink them way down, to less then 500 K each, without much if any noticeable difference in picture quality. When you are attaching images to an email, this can be critical.
    Not the original though! If its only 2-3 MB it's probably already a jpeg so once it's dimensions or quality is reduced, there's no getting back the data the original held.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Irfanview's "Resampling" feature is a good way to enlarge photos, offering better quality than "Resizing". And, you can enlarge (or shrink) by choosing a percentage change (%) in size, or type in the number of pixels (horiz. and vert.) or by clicking any standard size, or even click on Double. Aspect ratio may be retained or changed. Plenty of options for most of us, and it's free !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Not the original though! If its only 2-3 MB it's probably already a jpeg so once it's dimensions or quality is reduced, there's no getting back the data the original held.
    I always do Save As, so as not to change the original.

New Lounger
    Thanks

image processor

Has anyone mentioned Michael Vinthers 'Image Analyzer' from Meesoft. It crops edits and resizes, loads quicker than grease lightning, it's free and accepts all common formats.
    As for flood fills and pasting one image into another. I still use good good old MsPaint copied from Windows XP to Windows 7 then right click on Paint and opened the properties compatibility mode to set it to run on Windows XP mode.

Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    I need an image processing program to clean up scanned images, mainly of printed matter. I'm looking for the following properties/capabilities:

• Reasonable price (or free)
    • Small, loads fast
    • Modest learning curve
    • Can talk to a scanner with a 32-bit driver
    • Can handle JPG, PNG, and other common image formats
    • Can adjust brightness, contrast, color balance, etc.
    • Can change color depth, resolution, and canvas size
    • Can do flood fills
    • Lets me paste one image into another and move it to achieve an accurate "splice"

I used to use an old version of Paintshop Pro for this, but it will not run under Windows 7. I bought the current version and found that it has morphed into a Photoshop clone: huge, slow, loaded with features I don't need, impossible to use without a book.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a Photoshop user, but it's hardly quick, cheap and easy to learn. I also have Paint.net for quick edits. It does have plugins to extend it's functionality. Also, I have PhotoFiltre Studio installed, which is fast and free. They also have a portable version which I have on a flash drive for quick edits on the road. The portable version is from PortableApps.com. Good luck!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast