New Lounger
    Thanks

Recommendations for sharing scanned photos

I have a large number of photos from my late mother-in-law that I would like to scan and share with all her children. I would like a recommendation as to the best means of doing that. I have a scanner and have no problem scanning and saving images. I am curious what people have used to add descriptions and/or tags. I would also like to know what people have done for sharing those images (making a DVD-ROM, sharing online, etc.).

I was thinking about an online method so that the various family members could add descriptions and tags if they remembered some details to add.

What has worked for you?

Larry

Thanks
    I use Picasa for this. You are able to add tags (e.g. people's names), a location using Google earth (if you know where the photo was taken), and you can also add a date (again if you know the date). This last, I have used a convention of having the date as 1/1/year if I know the year and 1/mon/year if I know the probable month, with the time set as 00:01 (so people know it's an approximate date).

You can also upload to Picasa Albums and allow the relevant people to see the photos, but not necessarily edit them. That's probably a good idea as different family members might disagree about who a particular photo is of! Better if they tell you and you update them.

Picasa also has some good photo editing facilities - I've improved some of mine which were underexposed for example.

And it's free!

Lounger
    Thanks

hardware for scanning old and new photos

I have a similar project on my bucket list. Picasa makes reasonable sense to me as an option for uploading, labeling, and storing. I think Google gives you a few gigabytes for free, and one can always purchase extra storage if needed.
    Before I get started, I thought I should investigate the possibility of getting a really good photo scanner, rather than just relying on the scanning function of my HP Officejet Pro multifunction unit.
    Did you look into hardware options? What scanner do you use, and are you happy with it?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    You can also try shutterfly. http://www.shutterfly.com/

And there is more info in this thread.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...nagement-sites

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aczer View Post
    I have a similar project on my bucket list. Picasa makes reasonable sense to me as an option for uploading, labeling, and storing. I think Google gives you a few gigabytes for free, and one can always purchase extra storage if needed.
    Before I get started, I thought I should investigate the possibility of getting a really good photo scanner, rather than just relying on the scanning function of my HP Officejet Pro multifunction unit.
    Did you look into hardware options? What scanner do you use, and are you happy with it?
    Thank you.
    I assume this is for me. Been moving house and have only just got the PC up and running. I use an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. Most multifunctions only give you reflective scanning (just the photo). The Epson gives you the ability to scan negatives and slides (transparencies). It also allows scanning of 120 film, not just 35mm. I've seen these scanners on sale occasional, but not any other similar scanners. I've still got >3000 negs and slides to scan yet!!