Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Image editors: cheap, quick to load, and easy to use?

I need an image processing program to clean up scanned images, mainly of printed matter. I'm looking for the following properties/capabilities:

• Reasonable price (or free)
    • Small, loads fast
    • Modest learning curve
    • Can talk to a scanner with a 32-bit driver
    • Can handle JPG, PNG, and other common image formats
    • Can adjust brightness, contrast, color balance, etc.
    • Can change color depth, resolution, and canvas size
    • Can do flood fills
    • Lets me paste one image into another and move it to achieve an accurate "splice"

I used to use an old version of Paintshop Pro for this, but it will not run under Windows 7. I bought the current version and found that it has morphed into a Photoshop clone: huge, slow, loaded with features I don't need, impossible to use without a book.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Try paint.net if you haven't. I don't know about all the features but one critical one is that it has layers so splicing images should be possible.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

jsachs177 (2014-05-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I quite agree with you, jsachs177.

I purchased successive copies of Paint Shop Pro until v8 (using their heavily discounted 'Upgrade' program.) I even bought v9 but couldn't use it... too complex, too confusing.

I've gone back to using v7.04 (running quite happily in Windows 7) and can't ever see this changing.

Thanks
    I am running PaintShop Pro 6.02 on Windows 7 64bit. Of course I did not "install" it... I just copied and pasted the folder over from my WinXP system and I have not run into any problems running it so far.

I agree with you about the newer version on PSP, I would not have it! As long as my old PSP 6.02 works, I am hanging on to it. It has "moved" with me through a couple of WinXP systems and now on to Win7 with no problems.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Very interesting responses! Makes me the outlier I reckon since I don't think PSP was competent until PSP X. I don't remember when scripting with batch processing was introduced though. Another winner for me is the ability to capture the edits (since X3) for a particular image and apply those en-masse to however many additional images. In both cases, workflow has been greatly enhanced for me since I can process hundreds of photos unattended.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @PamS - Darn, PSP v6.02 was my image editor weapon of choice for so many years! It took me a long, long time to finally move to v7.00... which was decidedly flakey. I was so pleased when, first, v7.01 was released to try to cure the instability problems then v7.02 to fix the problems v7.01 introduced. For me, it all went wrong after that... I tried but couldn't adjust to later versions, and gave up completely when Corel took over from Jasc.

@F.U.N. downtown, please excuse my ignorance but what is an 'outlier'. A Google search leads me to Wikipedia but I'm none the wiser.

Thanks
    From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/outlier

Definition of OUTLIER

1: a person whose residence and place of business are at a distance
    2: something (as a geological feature) that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body
    3: a statistical observation that is markedly different in value from the others of the sample

The third definition is probably what FUN meant.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry, many thanks for that, I guess the old grey matter is having an off day.

Umm... as 'Super Moderator', can you tell me why I've suddenly gone from '2 Star Lounger' to '3 Star Lounger'? What does it mean? Is it 'cos I'm really old (nearly 60) and good at lounging around? ROFL... but still interested in the answer.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-13 at 20:04.

Thanks
    The star ratings are based purely on the number of posts you made. I don't have the numbers that go with each star level off the top of my head right now but if I find them, I'll let you know. VIPs and Moderator status is bestowed by vote of the current moderators and VIPs.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So if I post absolute nonsense but in multiple posts I can get 'elevated' in terms of 'star' status... ROFL. Thanks, good to know. I might try it out in the test area. I had mistakenly assumed the 'star' status was in terms of 'value', not 'quantity'.
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-13 at 21:31.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, interesting. I tried copying the program file directory from my old machine to my new one, and I can run it. Sort of. Every time I start it, it displays the error message "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDT."

I exported the entire HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/JASC/Paint Shop Pro "directory" from Windows XP and imported it into Windows 7. Then I ran the program again, and got exactly the same thing.

Any idea what's happening?

This is PSP 4. The version that would not install on Windows 7 is a later one, I think PSP 6. I never liked it, so it's not installed on XP.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >Try paint.net if you haven't.

Tried it. I was able to figure out how to do a flood fill without reading any documentation, which is a promising start. I won't be able to try it with the scanner until this weekend, but so far it looks like an excellent fit.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have any info on PSP4. All I know is that PSP7 creates nothing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but creates a Jasc key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER and 2 sub-keys:
    jasc.jpg
    Sorry I can't help further with this.

I tried Paint.net a couple of years ago but found it crashed fairly frequently then. It could be different now.

For free, have a look at The Gimp. It's quite comprehensive but has a bit of a learning curve.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2014-05-14 at 03:30.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I miswrote. It was HKEY_CURRENT_USER that I copied the keys from (and to). So that's not the problem.

At this point is looks like Paint.net is likely to be the solution for me.

I've tried GIMP; in fact when I first moved to Windows 7 I used it as a replacement for PSP. I should say "tried to use it," because I found most of its controls absolutely incomprehensible. I could spend a half hour at a time trying to performs some simple operation like pasting an area copied from one image into another image, and never figure it out.

The documentation was useless; it was the sort that tells you "The Flipflop command flipflops the image... the Mairzydoats tool mairzydoats the selection... the Whoopsie command whoopsies the file..." but never explains where the fool controls are or how the operations should be used.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    So if I post absolute nonsense but in multiple posts I can get 'elevated' in terms of 'star' status... ROFL. Thanks, good to know. I might try it out in the test area. I had mistakenly assumed the 'star' status was in terms of 'value', not 'quantity'.
    Took a lot of digging but I found a table showing the Member star ranking system:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/att...5&d=1312493042

Jerry

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast