Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry,

Many thanks. It was good of you to make the effort and I appreciate it. I was kidding about posting absolute nonsense... I do enough of that anyway.

Rick

Thanks
    I am trying to remember what I had to do to PSP6 when I copied the folder over to Win7 to get it to run without throwing up an error first... I seem to remember that I had to right click on the exe file and select to run in compatibility mode or something to make the error go away. I still have my notes which I had for what software I was going to install on Win7 and I do have a side note written down about regedit, but I did not write down what I did to get around it unfortunately. Of course I also brought along the plugin.dll and msvcrt10.dll files as well and put those in the windows system folder.

I found one thread in another forum that said you could run it as administrator, but that it was not advised because back when PSP6 was written, it had full access to all parts of the registry which it does not supposedly need. For what things I do with PSP6, it runs just fine for me on my machine. Just wish I had written down exactly what I did to get the error to go away, but I just remember it was something simple, so running in compatibility mode or perhaps even running as administrator is the only thing I can think of that I may have done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You might like to try Irfanview, free, small, fast, rock solid, will do everything in your requirements list. Interface is a bit old school but none the worse for that. Or there is always Photoshop Elements - either as a give away with a scanner or there was an older one (version 4, I think) on the Adobe website that could be downloaded for free and came with a perpetual key - not sure if it's still there, though. Or apart from the quick learning curve (it definitely isn't!) there is The Gimp, which is open source for multiple platforms.

Irfanview addresses 95% of my requirements and Photoshop Elements (bundled with my scanner) does the rest.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried about a dozen products before I bumped into Picasa (free, from Google). Incredibly capable, ridiculously easy. Only thing it won't do for you is splice images. For that I jump into Photoshop (there are dozens of other methods), then right back to Picasa to do the rest.

Thanks
    So happy to see so many PSP fans. I've been using PSP since v3.x and agree with you all. PSP started going downhill with version 6 so I'm still using v5.01. I have version 5.01 running on two Win7 64 bit machines. I installed from the installation CD and everything went smoothly with no problems, errors, at all. Both machines are run as administrator. Maybe that makes a difference.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Irfanview is my preferred tool for straightforward image capture, but it doesn't support most of the image manipulations I listed.

Picasa sounds like another useful tool, although past experiences have made me somewhat suspicious of anything that comes out of Google.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I do a fair amount of graphics work and, even though I have Photoshop CS5 and Paintshop Pro X4 installed, I still find that Paintshop Pro 8 is the easiest and quickest way to get good results on those not so straightforward jobs. One of PSP8 features I find most useful is the brilliantly flexible clone tool, which puts Photoshop’s equivalent in the shade.
    Take cover – incoming from massed Photoshop fanatics!!

Nevertheless for the vast majority of work you can’t beat the speed and simplicity of some of the excellent freeware now available:

Irfanview + its Plug-in pack – is just about the quickest and most useful image viewer out there - I always set mine up as the default for all images it can handle. It has most of the everyday productivity tools you need, ready to hand, and it will open your scanner software in a trice and then pass the scan back into itself for editing. It even accepts the huge amount of free Photoshop 8B8 Plug-ins if you want to extend its range.

These others editors are also amongst my favourites:

Photo! Editor - A very easy to use tool with a good range of preset tools/effects - delve a little deeper and you will find you can refine the effects manually.
    http://pho.to/editor/examples.php

OptikVerve Lab's VirtualStudio - a must for creative photographers and 'darkroom' dabblers - this neat photoeditor includes their own PS 8F8 compatible ‘Virtual Photographer’ plug-in filter, which provides a superb range of classy effects.
    http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

Photoscape 3.6.5 - A really useful suite with a surprisingly wide range of nice tools. Sadly it now comes pre-loaded with a PUP (Open Candy) but just zap the PUP off with a Malewarebytes quick scan and it stays gone (unless you allow it to update and then you have to do it again).
    http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Have fun!

Cheers, Chris
    Industrial electrical engineer, running a system building/repair business in Cornwall, UK, for the last 14 years.

Built my first computer in 1978 - in the days when you had to hand-solder in all the components!
    Until Windows 8, I thought we were still moving forwards!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Cooper For This Useful Post:

Trev (2014-05-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Everyday I use Snag-it , www.Snagit.com $39

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    Irfanview is my preferred tool for straightforward image capture, but it doesn't support most of the image manipulations I listed.

Picasa sounds like another useful tool, although past experiences have made me somewhat suspicious of anything that comes out of Google.
    Yes, I define/split image programs by their ability to handle layers; or not, because layers opens a whole other level of editing capability. Picasa, Irfanview, Faststone Image Viewer, Photofiltre, XnView, Photo Commander, PhotoDirector, etc., all have some things they do very well, but none of them do layers. The ones that do handle layers often fall woefully short on file handling and workflow which are where I think the non-layer group excels. Hence I rarely have a layer-capable editor open without Faststone or XnView. They just work really well in concert.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at IrfanView (at irfanview.com). Like someone above said, it's free, small, fast, rock solid, will do everything you're asking. It is very nicely behaved and won't tax your system.

It is an excellent photo viewer - hit the space bar and it will flip through all the photos or graphics in that directory (JPGs, PNGs, GIFs, BMPs and more). You can use it to adjust brightness, contrast, color balance, color depth, resolution, and canvas size and more. Flood fills too. It will resize, resample, change canvas size. It will display a histogram. It will decrease color depth. It will reduce red-eye. It will do custom fine rotation to two decimal points of a degree of rotation. It accepts many Adobe plug-ins. It will capture screen shots. You can paste any image or part of any image into any other, but you have to define the area it goes to as opposed to beibg able to move it around. The list is seemingly endless.

It has editing tools similar to Windows Paint. It also can receive as well as edit images directly from a scanner.

Some of the interface is a bit klutzy, and it has a somewhat steep learning curve, but it is very popular and if you can't figure out how to accomplish what you want google will help. The author, Irfan Skiljan, will also reply to your emailed questions.

Make sure you download and install the add-ons after you install the program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you thought about Photoshop? You can download CS2 for free. It may be old but has more than enough to satisfy the casual photo editor. Have a look at this site:- http://www.techspot.com/downloads/36...oshop-cs2.html . It gives lots of info on the programme along with the serial number you will need. I've been using it for quite a while now and it does all I want. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate 64 and it works fine with it.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out http://www.faststone.org/ I loved my PPS7 I had on xp for many years, and really miss it. Loved doing animations and tags etc with it. Leo of 'ask leo' told me he uses faststone. I haven't really checked it out yet. Am gonna try to load my PSP7 on this win 8.1 but thinking wont work,since my awesome HP printer an Scanner wont<grrrr> I am enjoying this thread about different graphic software as it has been on my mind lately too
    Last edited by mosie; 2014-05-22 at 18:54.
    In mourning for my Win XP Desktop while using a HP laptop Win8.1
    Some times I am confused an some times not.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried the GIMP but found it too difficult to get my head round, I occasinally use Irfanview for small jobs but most of the time I use PSP V9.0 which runs happily on Win7 64bit apart from a warning about display scheme needing to change.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Like some others, I have used PSP for many years, in my case v5 now on Win7, successfully with no issues. I wouldn't be without it! Also, with ClassicShell the general appearance can be made fairly similar to XP.
    For anyone interested, it is possible to download (free) old copies of PSP programs including v5 at
    http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php

Garth

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I quite agree with you, jsachs177.

I purchased successive copies of Paint Shop Pro until v8 (using their heavily discounted 'Upgrade' program.) I even bought v9 but couldn't use it... too complex, too confusing.

I've gone back to using v7.04 (running quite happily in Windows 7) and can't ever see this changing.
    I, too, am still running Paint Shop Pro, version 7.04, which runs quite happily in my Win7 64-bit setup, and does all you have specified. You can download the program (various old versions) from http://www.oldapps.com/Paint_Shop_Pro.php. I don't know what you do about a license - you may find your old license for your old version still works...
    Incidentally, look at the comments towards the bottom of the page after you download the program, particularly the query by Marianne Sicignano, and the reply by Kevin Woodgate...
    Good luck!
    Paul

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast