New Lounger
    Thanks

Want to join Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials and QNAP Storage Server: Possible?

I am a former Windows Home Server user who has had to migrate (read as ‘start from scratch’) to a Windows 2012 R2 Essentials Server running as a Workgroup (i.e. not Active Domain). The server is primarily to backup 6 PCs / Laptops.

I also have a QNAP TS-410 (4 x 4TB) [Linux] storage server for my movies, music, photos etc…

I have access to the QNAP files and folders on the Network from Windows Explorer on my Essentials Server (and from all my PCs and Laptops).

I can access my QNAP Server remotely using any browser. I can also access my Essentials Server dashboard from a browser remotely using the Anywhere Access facility.

(a) Is it possible for the Essentials Server to see the QNAP server as a Device?
    (b) Is it possible for the QNAP folders to be seen by the Essentials Server as Server Folders?

I do not want to purchase any 3rd party software.

Any ideas you clever people?

Stormy1954

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The QNAP device is already a server so I doubt you will be able to add it as a managed device on your Windows server. Actually the QNAP device makes the Windows server redundant.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    The QNAP device is already a server so I doubt you will be able to add it as a managed device on your Windows server. Actually the QNAP device makes the Windows server redundant.

cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul. I had thought this might be the case but I had hoped someone might be able to encourage my laziness.....

Stormy1954