New Lounger
    Thanks

please someone help me!

after booting windows 8.1 from my usb key, i click on custom installation and i select the drive with the largest space. it starts to install and says 0% next to copying files, after about 5 or 10 seconds i get this windows setup error message: "windows setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. to install windows, restart the installation."

please someone help me get past this error. my computer recently crashed and i cant get it past the automatic repair mode for windows 8 which is what i had previously, really dont want to format my harddrive, i am trying to recover all my documents.

Thanks
    You have backed up haven't you? I guess not from what you're saying. My advice would be to get a Linux distro (e.g. Linux Mint or Ubuntu) and put it on a USB memory stick. You can boot off that and use Linux to recover your documents. It's quite easy and there are threads which tell you how to do this. Others may have different advice about this.

Once you've got your data, you can reformat, but that's a whole different ball game. I've no idea what the problem is you've got I'm afraid - hopefully others will.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks i am going to go try linux mint right now

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    This doesn't always work with Win 8 but you may be able to get into Safe Mode by pressing Shift+F8 on start in an attempt to Repair.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i installed linux mint and i think i found all my old files under a folder called windows.old.001. does that sound normal? i also found a windows.old with nothing really in it and there was nothing in the regular directories for pictures and videos. im gonna copy it all to some sd cards then to another laptop. after that do you think i can just reformat my harddrive to reinstall windows 8.1? also do i have to do anything with the windows recovery drive or hp tools (D, i think there are like 4 different partitions

Thanks
    You'll need a 3rd party tool. Anything realy decent you'll have to pay for recovery.

I used this (EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 7.5) recently to get photos that was accidentally formatted on a camera's memory card.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-06-27 at 00:35.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    On a side note, if you do get all your files and decide to do the reformat you're asking about, that should work--since you say the disk has multiple partitions on it, I just wanted to add that when I run the installer and have decided to format the drive and create a new blank partition using the Windows setup interface, I try to track down any other partitions on the disk and wipe 'em out, just so that I have one clean hard drive that the installer is not scanning for previous versions on.

I delete any partitions on the disk, create just one, and let Windows then do its thing (which usually involves creating its own small partition and then doing the install on the rest of the disk).