New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclamation Win8.1 update May 13, 2014

I have a lenovo H520 computer. I ran windows update today and discovered that the one optional update offered caused a black screen of death when I installed it. I used safe mode to uninstall it and everything went back to normal. I could log on but my screen went black and nothing worked. I do not know if this would be a problem on any other computers, I just know that it did not work on mine.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you post the KB number so that others will be forewarned ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry that I didn't post the KB number. It is KB2955164. I hope this helps.

Thanks
    Works fine for me. It's an optional update, more info here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jchaffeejr View Post
    I have a lenovo H520 computer. I ran windows update today and discovered that the one optional update offered caused a black screen of death when I installed it. I used safe mode to uninstall it and everything went back to normal. I could log on but my screen went black and nothing worked. I do not know if this would be a problem on any other computers, I just know that it did not work on mine.
    Could be worth checking the Event Viewer logs to see if it has recorded the conflict, but if it's computer model/graphics specific then you may need to contact the vendor or MS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I agree with Sudo15. You should check the Event Logs to see if there is any useful information. This update is a rollup containing fixes covered by 72 other KB articles. Many of the fixes will not apply to you system as there for Windows Server 2012 R2 only. Sometimes downloading the fix and applying separately helps. You may download the fix at Update for Windows 8.1 (KB2955164).

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I found in the logs that Explorer.exe wouldn't start. This was caused by the program Stardock Windowblinds. I deleted Windowblinds and installed the update and all is again fine.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Check with Stardock to make sure you have the most current version.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yup the problem accures with the cracked version of Stardock WindowBlinds...
    I have you have the newest/updated version (not the crack, as there is no cracked version of the newest version), you wouldn't have this problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kloet075 View Post
    Yup the problem accures with the cracked version of Stardock WindowBlinds...
    I have you have the newest/updated version (not the crack, as there is no cracked version of the newest version), you wouldn't have this problem.
    This is incorrect and has nothing to do with a cracked or paid version and everything to do with the actual version number of WindowBlinds itself. Only the most recent WindowBlinds update is compatible with KB2955164.