5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Non-Destructive Reinstall of Win8.1

I have been setting up a new laptop running Win8.1. I had a Task Scheduler/batch file problem discussed in another message thread. We finally decided to try a system restore to a point before the problem showed up. I initiated a restore to the oldest one that was saved and after a lot of working it said it had failed! After that the laptop would not boot up completely -- it would always stop with a failure message. After clicking around a little I came across a link that would initiate a non-destructive reinstall, so I initiated it. That seemed to go OK but when I reinstalled thunderbird I could not get it to log into the FastMail.fm email server! I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to help. During thunderbird setup, when I get to the point where it will log into the email account at FastMail the login fails. I installed avast antivirus and I activated the Windows Firewall. After the failures I uninstalled avast and specifically listed thunderbird as a valid app in the firewall but that hasn't helped.

I don't know if there is something that got wiped out in the Win8.1 reinstall that I need to install again, or what might be causing this problem. I did install all the Windows Updates except a couple of .NET updates that came down in the last couple of days.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    There should be nothing else to install as far as Windows is concerned. Is there a Thunderbird log file you can examine or are you getting a specific error?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll check to see.

Thanks,
    Bill